Wondering something when cloning other's creations

Shortline2

Hello people,

I hope I have found the correct forum part to use, and that I am able to word my self in a good way.

While I'm not an active creator anymore, I still try to keep up to date with Trainz and what is happening.

I hardly released anything after TRS2006, including the stuff I made for the Northbay project.
Not all of that was very good either so...

But, I need to get to the point of this thread.

With CMP we got the chance to clone and essential make easy copies of other peoples creations with our own kuid number - and in all sense appearing to be our own creation.

Shouldn't there been a form for tag that shows this is a cloned product, and if it is not of our own making, a way to note people that another person actually made that item we just cloned?

While I am not that proud of all the stuff I made over the years, I still like to get recognition for what I made, even if I my self thinks it is a bad model or not up to the standard I want.
A couple of times I noticed stuff I made have been showing up on DLS with no mention of me as the first creator, but keeping my config and thank you note to people that helped me with that asset under the description part.
It bugs me to see that as it sort of lies to people who really made that asset, and who is thanking people that helped me with that asset, not the "new creator".
Is it wrong of me to feel this way, am I just having a fits because me ego been hurt?

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, but I would like to know a little what other people feels about this.

I started to create for my self, and I still do from time to time (very seldom, but it happens :eek:), but I would lie if I said that when I shared stuff with others that I also didn't love the attention and good feel I was able to get from it.
Recognition has always been important for me, reason we don't need to dwell on here.

Thank you for listen/reading this guys & gals out there.

Best wishes all

Linda

Hello people,

I hope I have found the correct forum part to use, and that I am able to word my self in a good way.

While I'm not an active creator anymore, I still try to keep up to date with Trainz and what is happening.

I hardly released anything after TRS2006, including the stuff I made for the Northbay project.
Not all of that was very good either so...

But, I need to get to the point of this thread.

With CMP we got the chance to clone and essential make easy copies of other peoples creations with our own kuid number - and in all sense appearing to be our own creation.

Shouldn't there been a form for tag that shows this is a cloned product, and if it is not of our own making, a way to note people that another person actually made that item we just cloned?

While I am not that proud of all the stuff I made over the years, I still like to get recognition for what I made, even if I my self thinks it is a bad model or not up to the standard I want.
A couple of times I noticed stuff I made have been showing up on DLS with no mention of me as the first creator, but keeping my config and thank you note to people that helped me with that asset under the description part.
It bugs me to see that as it sort of lies to people who really made that asset, and who is thanking people that helped me with that asset, not the "new creator".
Is it wrong of me to feel this way, am I just having a fits because me ego been hurt?

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, but I would like to know a little what other people feels about this.

I started to create for my self, and I still do from time to time (very seldom, but it happens :eek:), but I would lie if I said that when I shared stuff with others that I also didn't love the attention and good feel I was able to get from it.
Recognition has always been important for me, reason we don't need to dwell on here.

Thank you for listen/reading this guys & gals out there.

Best wishes all

Linda

You could do the same thing in TRS2004 it's just didn't have a button marked clone.

I agree with you that credit should be given, even when doing a reskin. Depends on the license you put in the config.txt file. If you didn't explicitly say you may reskin this item and not mention you must give credit then I think you could ask Auran to remove the item from the DLS and email the creator saying they have reskinned the item without your permission.

Most of my creations do a licence saying you may reskin this item but recently I have a new concern which comes with TRS2009, many of my items need minor errors correcting in the mesh. The concern is many of the reskins will not get corrected.

I'm now tempted to go through everything and remove the bit that says you may reskin this item because of this.

Cheerio John

Dear Linda,

I think you downplay the quality of your work. You have the desire to create extremely high quality work but it is Trainz that has always let you down not your skill, talent and vision. But despite that you have created some of the finest objects in Trainz and the game would be lacking without your contributions. It is my fondest hope that TS2009 will be the tool that will allow you to reach your dreams.

You are quite right about the issue with cloning. It is the nature of the beast that being so easy to copy someone else's creation and then make small changes to it has been both a help and a hinderance to Trainz. I myself have made many changes to others creations but they never leave my computer and I do not post screen shots of them since some would think I did the work and praise it falsely. But others seeking a quick boost to their egos do not see this issue as you and I do. The DSL is full of assets that are but simple modifications of someone's hard work with little credit given nor permission sought.

But Linda, rest assured that there are many of us who know your work and see through the pretenders who make use of it without giving you credit. You are a true artist and creator. Never let yourself forget that as you struggle through the day. And know in your heart the joy your items bring to others whether they know you are responsible or not. Trainz would not be the same without you.

William

Linda,

1 - Giving credit has always been a community issue, the only way to address it is either through contact by PM, email, etc.

2 - While Cloning is possible, CMP/CM2 makes the KUID # for you. For anyone like myself who uses the old standard seen here http://www.auran.com/trainz/faq_DLS_KUIDRange.php , this new system doesn't work. To change the KUID #, the item has to be copied out of the Editing folder, change the number then Import, but this removes the Clone icon from CMP/CM2 and is the only way to change an item's KUID #.

Hello all,

First of all, thanks for the comments.

William, a very special thanks to you for your very warming and up-building words, full of encouragement - thank you!

I realize it was always a option to copy someone else creation before CMP age too, but after CMP came it become easier then ever.
I realize this discussion is way late, but it was the fact I saw a few item of mine uploaded with no credit given that prompt me.
I will not ask it to be removed, that is to far, but will write like I did long time ago with a track of mine to the creator and ask him to add an update to the item with proper credit in the config file.
Unless, he sees this thread, and feels it should happen by him self. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys, and while I don't fully believe in the lock of items, sometimes I guess it might be needed. :)

If/when I get back creating, I'm going for the TS2009 mark, as I liked that version very well, even if I find it way harder to create for.
Still, wish the clone button would not make it so easy to just copy peoples work without credit - hence why I wish CMP added a line to say it was cloned from so and so.

Anyway, no real damage done.

Best wishes always people

Linda

Back