Will This Will Ever Be Restored?

kmothersil

I don't know if anyone is going to ever restore this and I don't think it may happen, but who knows. This engine is the 2-6-6-6 Allegheny engine built in 1941.

100_1782alter.jpg

There is no way they are going to run that anytime soon. Unless the CSX wants to bring back their steam program which I think they could care less! Also, getting that engine out of the Henry Ford Museum would be really hard because it was so big that they needed to build the exit door and walls AFTER it was place inside the museum. Also, they are more focused right now restoring and place their new PRR GG1 at Henry Ford (Still waiting for when they ship it down the CSX)!

I saw a home movie of how they got that in the building. The track is at right angels to the building so they had the loco with an SW7 on a section of track and used a bulldozer to move one end. Next the SW7 would move the loco to the other end and the bulldozer would move the track at the other end, a sort of turntable on the ground, an all day job. After it was lined up with the building track they found out it was to high and had the top wall removed. After the loco was in they had to do the bulldozer bit again to get the SW7 out. Every thing in the Henry Ford Museum is in working condition or it was back in the 60's.

Back