Will these computer system requirements run Trainz 2010 Eng. Ed.?

Speedracer45

I am a first time Trainz user (in fact I haven't even used it yet because I need a better computer). I plan on purchasing a new computer from HP and it seems like there are a million different graphics cards out there. Does anyone know if the following system will adequately run Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition, specifically the graphics card?

SYSTEM:
Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ i7-950M Processor 3.06GHz Processor
8MB Cache
9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM memory 5 DIMMS

Drives:
1.5TB (7,200RPM) SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
LightScribe 16x max DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive

Graphics & Video:
HP 2511x 25" LED diagonal widescreen flat panel monitor
1GB ATI Radeon HD 6450 Graphics
Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Thanks you all in advance for your help,
I really appreciate it,
Speedracer45

Yes, it should. I am not aware if there are any conflicts with the video card, as I tend to use the green ones.

Thanks a lot Euphod and Fran1. I appreciate the help. I also sent a help ticket to Trainz, so it looks like I will be ordering a new computer tomorrow. I hope it's worth it. LOL

Thanks again, Speedracer45

Thanks a lot Euphod and Fran1. I appreciate the help. I also sent a help ticket to Trainz, so it looks like I will be ordering a new computer tomorrow. I hope it's worth it. LOL

Thanks again, Speedracer45

Just out of interest what power is the psu, according to AMD 400 watt is required, whether that's just the card or the whole system I dont know.

Is that a laptop? the 950M designation makes me ask. If so, then your performance will probably be about the same as a mid-to-low-end desktop, also considering that the crap OEMs like HP and Dell load onto your machine drain performance. Also, I believe the 6450 is an integrated card so your performance will likely be poor; a dedicated/discrete card with its own memory is much, much better.

Also, I believe the 6450 is an integrated card so your performance will likely be poor; a dedicated/discrete card with its own memory is much, much better.

I did a Google search and the results seem to indicate that it is a dedicated card, for desktops.

I did a Google search and the results seem to indicate that it is a dedicated card, for desktops.

Ah, thanks. This is what threw me. Notice they say it's integrated graphics. It's the only reference I could find though I didn't look very hard.

Last edited:
Yes, it would me to. Had to read it again to realise they were options when you buy the tower.

Yeah, it's a desktop. And the card is dedicated, not intigrated. It is a HP Pavillion Elite HPE-580t series. It is on Costco's website, it's the one for $1149.00 (and it's on HP's website - of course).

Thanks again to all who responded.

Last edited:
Cool. I checked HP's website and confirmed it is indeed not a mobile processor, so that's good. Just a couple things. That CPU is triple-channel capable but the specs indicate 5 DIMMs, so it won't be triple-channel-enabled (nor will it be at 8Gb, since you need sets of three identical memory modules.) I think if a 12Gb configuration were available, it would take advantage of triple-channel. But, Trainz and most other programs won't benefit from 8Gb of memory let alone 9Gb or 12Gb. Conversely, whether or not triple-channel provides much if any real-world performance benefit has been the subject of ongoing debate.

Also, as I hinted at earlier, HP, like any pre-built comes with a lot of junk. This is why most serious gamers build their own machines You can uninstall a lot of the junkware (like the useless HP support stuff) but it's better not to have had it installed in the first place. Plus, that machine comes with Norton's which will make that i7 run like a 486 (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit...kind of!) and really can't be uninstalled completely.

However, if you do buy this machine, good luck, the specs are pretty good. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I have a 2 year old Dell i7 with a ati 4850 that runs it just fine and did with 4gb of ram. I just recently maxed out the ram, replace the power supply and will be updating the video card not because it won't run 2010 but I just need a little more gpu and ram for another project.

I can run Avery Drexel maxed out and pull 60 fps with the 4850 so the rig you mentioned above should run just fine.

(nor will it be at 8Gb, since you need sets of three identical memory modules.) .

I agree with the triple channel but my x58 intel that came with my Dell doesn't require memory to be installed in pairs. It came with 4- 1 gb chips and when I started upgrading I did so over a couple of months and one of the 1 gb chips went bad and I ran 11, then 15 before getting all 6 4gb chips and at least the x58 will run non pairs...

Back