getting a new computer oppinions wanted

dh2k3

TrainzDiag troubleshooter
hey guys,

I'm planning on getting a new computer and was wondering how TRS would handle this.

• Intel® Core™2 Duo desktop processor E4500 with 2 processing cores, 800MHz frontside system bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed per core
  • 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
  • SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM; supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media
  • The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation
  • Intel® Viiv™ technology enhances your digital entertainment experience with improved performance when watching movies, listening to music or viewing digital images
  • 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm); HP Pocket Media Drive expansion bay to easily add a second, removable hard drive (not included)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS graphics with 128MB dedicated video memory and DirectX 10 support; up to 1GB total available video memory as allocated by Windows Vista; high-definition audio (8-speaker configurable); DVI, TV-out and VGA outputs
  • Front-panel 15-in-1 media reader supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, mini Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Mobile, MultiMediaCard Plus and Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)
  • Also supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive
  • 2 IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interfaces and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports, both front and rear accessible, for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
  • Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet networking interface with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps high-speed modem
  • HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with HP Photosmart Essential, Roxio Creator, muvee autoProducer and more
And what would happen if I buy this and install a GF 7600 GS and my old 120GB hard drive and then dual-boot it for XP/Vista?

Dave

I'll watch that video card, cause it is not actually a video card but more than likely onboard video chip. And that my friend equals "major suckage", same goes for audio.

Make sure you either get an HP Vista install disk or the ability to do one from the boot menu. HP/Compaq/Dell they all ship with a "hidden" partition where the original OS and Apps are, some come with utilities that will let you create an OS install disk or a bootable disk, but be carefull when doing your dual boot, delete de partition and you are done! as more than likely all your drives are there too.

cheers

Don't do it.

Wait for the dust to settle on the new ATI / nVidia video cards and the 45 nm Intel cpus. If nothing else existing cpus prices and video cards should come down quite nicely say by mid Jan / Feb 2008.

Cheerio John

Yeah that's also true. If you wait a bit Intel will have pushed those out on a regular basis bringing down in price the others, The 8800GT is likely to stay there cause they will be retiring the GTS line more than likely.

I would have to agree as well. Intel and AMD will both be releasing new CPU's in the very near future (say a month or two).
ATi and nVidia are also hard at work with new releases. ATi has just released the new HD 3800 series (direct competition to the 8800 GT). Rumors have also circulated about nVidia's 9800 series, however this seems to have turned into improving the existing 8800 series, rather than creating a new line. From some reports I've seen the 800 GTS will be receiving an overhaul and will sport the new G92 core instead of the current G80 core.

Obviously you can't wait forever, but the face of technology is in another of it's "giant" leaps again.

EDIT: I stand corrected, just checked newegg. The first AMD Phenom core socket AM2+ CPU is now out.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wanted to ask for some advice please.

Have been surfing the net for a new computer and know the type of specs to look for, but all the computers I have seen don't give a graphics card description, they normally just say "graphics - integrated". How do I know if they have an NVidia card or another type installed please ??

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

if it's listed as integrated then the chances are it's going to be an intel chip or a via chip, either way an integrated chip will struggle at the first hurdle when it comes to TRS as you do need seperate graphics card for it to run properly.

I will add to Lost Soul comment that even if you get "lucky" to get an nVidia 6150 built-in video chip it will use part of your RAM for its video memory so you end up with less RAM to begin with and that should be avoided at all cost. These days the best performance and money wise Video card will be the 8800GT

Make sure you are able to return it within a certain amount of time ... read the policies of the purchase, so if you are unhappy with it, you an always get your money back or a return for another purchase!

Good luck and happy shopping!!:wave: :D
Ish

When you purchase the computer make sure that it has a PCI-E16 as one of its slots. I just purchased an HP AMD 6000+ and it has a PCI-E16 slot which luckily has a card in it. Not the greatest card but a ATI 2400 Pro 256k ram.
Many of the computers out there only come with on board graphics and no slot for installing an upgrade card after or when purchased, lots of people getting caught when latter go buy a graphics card and find there is no place to put it.

Back