Wheel Slip In Expert Mode

Hi All! I am experiencing wheel slip in expert driving mode on some locos. Can’t get my train moving at all. It is happening mostly with some DLC. I can drive the sessions in easy driving mode with no problem and I can drive the train in expert mode in the “Driving a Real Train” tutorial fine. Am I missing something? I also get an indication of coupler strain. Are these related somehow and if not, what should I do about coupler strain?

Thanks!

Michael

You need to ensure you have set your engine in the forward position. Either use your mouse or press the F key to set the gear for Forward.
Disengage the brakes. You may have to do both the train brake as well as the independent brake.
Use the W key or sliders to change the throttle.

You need to adjust the throttle slowly, otherwise you may get the wheel slip message. Coupler strain is a rule that can be enabled in the session by the session-creator. To prevent coupler-breakage, you need to drive carefully and watch your speed especially on curves and grades, otherwise you'll snap a coupler and end up losing and have to drive the session again.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes. I am doing everything that you mentioned that I should do. I am using a RailDriver controller which works fine with the tutorial “Driving a Real Train.” It also seems to work fine in easy control mode. The mode with the dial for throttle as opposed to the sliders found in realistic mode. I am applying the absolute minimum amount of throttle to prevent wheel slip. I’ve even tried using the sander to avoid wheel slip. I will go back and experiment more. I also own and use most of all the popular train sims. I love the performance of Trainz 22 even on my 18+ year old Alienware computer. As a matter of fact, I can’t believe how well it does perform. Graphics are the best I’ve seen in a train sim and frame rate is absolutely smooth. Ok. Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Try a different locomotive. It could be that particular one. The engine specifications (specs as we call them) determine many things including the weight and acceleration of the locomotive, tractive effort, and other things. If something is off, then that can cause many other issues including the inability to stop or maintain speed. I had that with an ancient Alco RS3 that someone "fixed" the engine spec for and turned it into a literal static model. No matter how high I set the throttle, the unit wouldn't go faster than 5 mph.

What DLC are you finding the issue on? As you are using RailDriver I can only suspect that it is either a) an issue with the model or b) an issue with the setup of RailDriver. If you let us know the DLC we can try it on our end and see if we get the same results. Have you tried driving it without RailDriver to discount that possibility?

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks again for your help and replies!

I’ve been playing Trainz for years. Spent literally hours with the mobile version. I’ve had Trainz 22 Platinum for quite a while and haven’t had much of a chance to play it. Having said that, I thought I’d start with the scenarios that I am familiar with from older versions. So, I started with what might be familiar to me. Kickstarter County. So the sessions that I’m having issues with are contained within Kickstarter County. They are:

“Trees For Life”

“Morning Run”

“Fossil Fuels”

So I tested scenarios that are not under Kickstarter County. I am happy to report that other sessions not contained under Kickstarter County work absolutely perfectly with RailDriver. I did try disconnecting RailDriver and tried Kickstarter County using just my mouse and the on screen sliders, but I experienced the same wheel slip / no train movement.

That’s about all the info that I have for you at this point. Other wise, I am enjoying this sim very much. As far as performance, graphics, variety of scenarios go, in my opinion it’s the best train sim out there and I own just about all of them. Trainz 22 Platinum is by far the best in my opinion.

Again Many Thanks For The Replies & Help & Thanks For Creating An Absolutely Top Notch Sim!!

Michael

I'm glad to hear that the other locomotives are working elsewhere. There must be something with that route. I agree, this is the best. It's not perfect but it's still better than the other with its freedom to do pretty much what we want. I spend most of my time in Surveyor building but do venture out and drive periodically.

Not long ago, I discovered iPortals. These magical portals allow us to send trains between individuals or within our own Trainz program including the route we're driving. I use them to connect up a bunch of routes instead of merging them together. I already have a couple of really large routes and merging more into them will make them more difficult to set up sessions for and driving. With the iPortals, I can merge these large routes into others that are related without needing to worry about terrain height and aligning up baseboards.

It’s no big deal. I’m always the “lucky” one to discover these things. LOL! Perhaps someone else will trip across this anomaly. I’m not hoping someone does as I want all to enjoy this sim. Thanks for mentioning iPortals! I’ll look into that. There’s really so much to explore in this sim and I really enjoy every aspect of it!

Thanks for the reply & thanks to the Trainz creators!
Michael

Back