Whats in the TANE A New Era sub forum, it says it has topics but when clicked, empty.

TINE

Coal Smoker
Whats in the TANE A New Era sub forum, it says it has topics but when clicked, empty.
I have tane and first class ticket.

Also, I am interested in developing Trainz hardware using the Trainz Native Interface, but no info shows any usage.
Clearly its not done, but I would like to encourage its development.

I'd post this in the dev forum, but its restricted invite only.

I would USE the TNI, to develop my own hardware, but i would not be helpful in coding the actual TNI dll.

Also, seriously what is up with TANE sounds? No fade in when coming up close to things.

If you sit at a certain spot on the track waiting for your train to pass, you can hear the train so far away that it impossible.

I found that this SOUND distance is directly related to the draw distance in the graphic settings.

All distances still have the sound just start at full volume when it reaches close enough, no fade in or out.

Also industries, and other sounds all play when you are really far away, and they do not fade in/out as you pass by them.
They just cut off completely.
I do some code, and can't help wonder how something so fundamental as sound volume shaping.
(looks at watch) how long as tane been out? wait, didn't they just release a new product too? wait, didn't tane just get a sp1 patch?

And the sound is still like this?
It seems todays software compaines are all doing the same thing. They release a plethora of undeveloped software, all different types, and always working on the "new version" that you must pay for(naturally)....even when the current release doesn't even work, they are already using their workforce to make the next undeveloped software sale.

I get it, you must do the same to survive...

So I purchased the nickel rail consist, thinking perhaps it was a problem with the trains...
Well, its no different, i figured premium content would be a good test.

So... how about less paid for DLC in the store,
(for now) and more development on the core program.?

And ... when the core program shines, (normally you develop it unreleased)
THEN proceed to build an empire out of entirely virtual goods.

I am sorry, I am being a bit harsh, however I do have to admit, API sound interfaces, Doppler(you got that one), and distance volume shaping are some of the most fundamentally basic multimedia tasks, ever.

I think one must admit, something kinda got overlooked when releasing TANE.

So looking into the past, TANE was started around March 13 2014
http://www.trainzportal.com/blog/view/e2-the-engine-for-a-new-era
So you had purple blobs and some other code testing..

Great, the hard part of virtual engines is the graphics,
so ... again im still kinda curious.

WHAT the F HAPPENED TO THE SOUND, So we are arriving at 3 years since initial hype about new product.
This one isn't done, the software industry motto is, "you aren't happy unless you have 5 eggs in a 2 egg basket."

I am trying to be positive, and encouraging, but i can't help not smack my forehead and say "DOH"

So now that I spit out the constructive criticism,....

The graphics engine is looking really good, clearly this is where the development is concentrated.

I have dual sli gtx 760's and TANE brings it to its knees.. time for a new card...
It already looks good with the 760's.

I have a feeling that perhaps a MSI GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK X, would fix TANE sound issues.... right.?
NO? cmon, just a little?

Last edited:
Heres how it looks for me.
Capture.png

You may need to raise a support ticket with N3V's Helpdesk regarding that - the link to access that site is at the top of the page.

Shane

EDIT: pware responded whilst I was typing my message.

I think the form software is misbehaving again. I'm not getting notifications or e-mails of threads I am subscribed to.

For the OP:

TrainzDev is open to read by all forum members but membership is by invitation only. When you get read access you should read Windwalkr's "Apology to non members" thread original post.

If you want to be involved in TNI then see this post. AFAIK, the information is still valid.

This problem has been fixed thanks.

But my second sound problem still exists...

ALL I WANT IS: A Steam engine on approach, very quiet getting LOUDER as it comes, not just appearing at full volume off in the distance...
I then want to hear it race by as its blasting its horn with full doppler, and then FADING AS IT LEAVES.

TANE dosen't do this.
Can I get a witness?

Seriously?

EXAMPLE:

Listen to that off distance approach, and the off distance whistle echoing... (you hear the character in that whistle, lets see TANE give us the ability to "play" the whistle like that...
And this video even shows it leaving with the same off in the distance "phasing" that occurs from multi path sound propagation.

(and Im not even talking about complicated video graphics.)

Seriously, this is just some simple volume shaping along with positional calculation in relation to the viewer.
Insert exponential equation into function to determine volume level at specific approach distance?

C'mon...

C'MON

COME ON

Even my mom shook her head and laughed when she saw TANE puff an engine around the corner, and BAM, the sounds of the engine just pop into existance at full volume.
It even startled me cause i had my volume up.

I have the original trainz 1.3 here somewhere, and if I recall properly, it DID fade the sound.

I think this N3V train needs more asio sand, its slippin....
serveimage.jpg
serveimage.jpg
serveimage.jpg

Last edited:
Prove it or it didn't happen.... ok....

Because proof is in the puddin....
You can hear the engine running at full speed, wayyyyyyy before it appears, and it starts at loud volume.
Same with the clacking sounds the cars make and the caboose.
Engine sound, and wheel clacks starts at: 0:12 seconds into the video.
BUT the steam engine doesn't show up till: 1:50. (1 minute and 50 seconds)
1:50 seconds of ghost train?
Also all sounds in the game do this, they are all starting wayyy before they should at full volume...
(this is why when you sit anywhere in the game, you can hear all this major noise from industries surrounding you, but NONE are
even in view.

The entire sound engine or method is.....uhhh.. well, better than silence i suppose..

Last edited:
Another demo video.

THIS ONE SHOWS THAT THE CARS *KINDA* have proper sounds. (they don't start the sound 50 miles away)

Listen to how the train car sounds just stop DEAD, with what sounds like two train cars bumping into eachother.

I do admit, things are starting to look much more realistic, but sound is 50% of your reality..
Visuals are just as important as sounds...

Last edited:
Back