What is the verdict for 2009?

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
It's nearly a week since many of you started getting familiar with the final release version of TS2009. Please let us know your overall impressions - good bad or indifferent.

Please keep discussions about specific topics outside of this thread.

Cheers

Tony

so far I'm pretty happy with it - had no real problems transfering content from 06 and TC3 & definitely runs faster .

there's always going to be room for improvement and somethings aren't going to please every one, but as a product I think you've got a good one and 09 is another step in teh right direction...

now all I've got to do is find that crook asset that keeps crashing my NSW sessions.....

The more I use it the more I like it, it just gets better and better. I highly recommend people move to 09, it's a lot more rewarding, I couldn't imagine wasting time in the older versions now. After combining TC3 and 09, I then later wiped it all and done a fresh install, only adding the locos and stock from TC3. I completed a 12 board branch line fully decorated in 3 hours!

Apart from the teething bugs, I think it's great.

Pls make sure spline and track connection yellow rings show more clearly in surveyor in SP1 :)

Regards,

Leon

A huge step forward - the viewing distance probably adds the most realism, but there's the lighting, sound (for anyone who didn't buy TC3) everything really..

It's just a shame about the alpha issues - the Beta was actually better than the Gold on the routes I tested with! I hope this will be rectified in SP1.

To any one who is still undecided - buy it! A bit of a learning curve for those who are still with '04 perhaps, but oh so worth it :D

Anthony

Its a nice program. It feels as if its just 04, 06, and TC all bundled into one. I know that there are some new german and polish content, but I was wondering what happened to the rest? Or Is it coming in a servicepack/patch/free-addonpack.

Isaac

Hi,

It's like;

When I first got UTC after running First Trainz for a few month or so, I had no problem leaving First Trainz to play with UTC.
Then when TRS2004 came out, leaving UTC to play with TRS2004 which opened up a lot of opportunities for me was not a problem at all.
In fact, all my creations turned to be TRS2004 only from then on.

Now, with TS2009 I get the same feel again, I like TS2009 and I've started to create some stuff only for TS2009 - and for me that is a big thing.
I now have some of the same thrill as when I got TRS2004 (lack of full thrill is personal life, not Trainz related), which is a huge positive saying for TS2009 from my point of view!

I think TS2009 has what it takes to build upon the TRS2004 legacy, and as time goes by and Auran do its best to keep this program as fault free as possible, I will say for me at least you have now found a winner! :)

But, I already knew TS2009 was a big step toward a better Trainz future, having been lucky enough to be a tiny part of the TrainzDev forum and therefor been able to follow some of the work done to this great program.
Now, to make it supersede TRS2004 in all senses. ;)

Thanks and best wishes

Linda

Overall it looks like there is great potential.

However, as I am suffering from the texture compression error problem, specifically 1224 times since trying to add TC3 content to TRS2009, I can't see myself spending much time on Trainz until this is sorted for the minority who have this crippling problem.

Big thumbs up for TS2009, an excellent basis for future Trainz development.
Good framerates, good graphics, good sound, the way to go :D .

The best yet!!!!

Each and every Release from Utc to TS2009 has been better than the last edition. This one is tops. Every new one has been a challenge and a learning curve. The new colour scheme is great, once I find all the new locations where you have put things. And figured out how to organise the filter
system.
I love the challange it keeps me young.
Congratulations and thanks to the NEW/OLD Brew crew.
Tony you sure have a bucket full of patience to put up with forum some days.
Regards Peter.

I'm still trying to love it... I see the potential, but it isn't there yet.

Some remarks from me:

1) I had some difficulties downloading the program. I had 2 corrupt downloads (both times the file was 2GB). I'm lucky to have a very fast internet connection otherwise it would have been very frustrating. The '3 file' option worked like a charm. Maybe it would be a good idea to make this the recommended download!

2) The biggest problem for me is that I still haven't found an easy way to search for assets in my object database. In TRS2004 I knew exactly where to find everything. Now it takes me ages to find a specific tree (If I can find it at all). I don't see why this system is better than the old one.

3) I'm still not a fan of the Cmp. (Although I really like the option to disable all built-in content). In 2004 I could just click on the .cdp file and the file was installed. Now I need to read a 30 page tutorial to get the basics of the program. Don't see the improvement here either.

4) Object placing is slow on my computer, and I have a high-end system. In TRS2004 objects were placed instantly, in 2009 it takes a fraction of a second. Not much, but just enough to irritate me.

5) I can't see any graphical improvement at all except for the improved viewing distance, which I already had in TRS2004. It just doesn't feel very '09'ish'. With 2 competitors these days (Rail Simulator and MTS2) it's going to be hard to find new customers for a program that looks this outdated. That's a shame, because Trainz is easily the best program.

6) I really don't like the built-in routes, or the built-in content for that matter. The routes are old or just buggy demo versions for payware content. I'm surely not going to buy anything that looks that bad. My own routes are 10x better than the routes the game comes with. Why include so much content if it's so easy to download the content you want?

Having said that, I'm very happy to see Auran is still alive, and I would happily pay 24 euros for that fact alone. Although TRS2009 is virtually the same as TRS2004 it is not a bad product, and I can't wait to see some of the improved content. Let's hope with TRS2009 this franchise can continue to thrive in the oncoming years.

groet,
Joram.

I am still waiting for the postman to bring me the disk version! However I basically had a good experience with both Beta 1 & Beta 2. The sound is what I have been waiting for since 2006 went pear shaped! The speed at which it runs is excellent - at least on my machines. All in all, a very good product and I shall just accept that, yes, there will be a few minor bugs/irritations, BUT, it will give me hours of enjoyment and overall is worth having; and I think it will leave the opposition at the starting post!! Really looking forward to receiving the final edition.

So far it just gets better and better. I really like the gallery section, and the fact that screenshots are now automaticially jpegs. The graphics are better, but it is a subtle improvement, such as with lighting, that really comes together for a beautiful image. I really like CMP2 compared to CMP1, and it looks like the mainpage, with the comunity section, could become pretty cool once it opens.

The only faults that I found are that it took me about a full day to download, import content, and commit it, but that is understandable. (7000 some assets lol) And the other problem that I noticed is that when your train derails, the railcars still ghost through each other, though it appears that you fixed the problem of running against a switch, and the entire train derailing.

Anyway, thank you very much for this fine product, and thank you for actually caring about your customers, and what they wanted, rather than ignoring us and treating us like criminals. (I am still sore about Electronic Arts, or EA Games's treatment of their customers with Spore)

Oh, and one more thing. I love the new splash screens as things load.

I have been one of the 2004 loyalists. After trying 2006 I found too many things that didn't work, one being the sound.

2009 seems like a worthy upgrade from 2004 with many new features. It appears to perform better in most areas than did 2004.

I am finding that to make some of my routes created in 2004 work properly in 2009 some additional tweaking needs to be done. Some examples are locomotive acceleration issues and the fact that some locomotives overrun red signals and stations creating some collisions, derailments, and confusion on the part of the AI when a station has been over run. I am sure that working on the engine specs will resolve most of these problems.

The big challenge with 2009 will be replacing all the faulty content that is used in many of my old routes. 2004 was very forgiving of these while 2009 appears to selectively handle some of these faults in a graceful manner and others it just balks at using them all together. I am sure that time will cure much of these problems, but there was some wonderful content created in the past which may never get redone to be fully 2009 compliant.

Overall I would say that 2009 is a step forward and is what 2006 should have been. Over time I will probably migrate totally over to 2009 especially if I can get all my current routes from 2004 working successfully in 2009.

My honest impressions, there are some pluses and some negitives. For 30 bucks your buying TRS06 or 07 all over again with some refinements and enhancements. I'd say the one enhancement that the most time was spent on (IMO) was the in game browser and new looking user interface which is pretty much just a recolor from previous games.

New graphic engine yes but your only going to see a new track and one loco that takes advantage of it. And although the loco looks awesome, to me it's physics don't work realistly. It can stop on a dime and picks up speed like a race car, what happened to the incremental breaking??? It's either full break or no break. Why do people half assed do loco's like that? But I guess they had to put something new in to say it's a 'new' game. Of course it's up to the community to create all the other cool looking stuff to really make the game what it's meant to be. With that, as with any user content created game, 80% of the people don't take the time to do it right and make halfassed stuff. I'm hoping that won't be the case, however I'm not holding my breath.

As of now there is plenty not correct, which will make you wonder if the game was really beta tested cause the stuff is pretty obvious and hard to miss. So far I've reported missing bogeys on locos, at least a dozen missing textures, rolling stock that when placed on the track in Surveyer mode actually gets placed on the track but is invisible. I've reported three industries that were in previous Trainz editions that no longer let you edit there consumption and production Properties, (Barley Elevator, Beverage Shop, Bockbeer Brewery) that I was using on a map of mine but can no longer. I'm sure people are reporting other things as well.

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch over what I've said, I do realize this game just came out and I know with any game/program it's never perfect. I know Service Pack 1 is on it's way and hope it fixes most of not all of these commen reported issues. I'm just replying with my impressions of the game as the OP asked for.

For someone new to Trainz by Auran and this is their first Trainz game, yes this game is great and I'll agree it's the best Railroad simulator on the market. For others who have had a Trainz game in the past, espically TRS06 and/or TRS07, this one at first will make you think you spent 30 bucks for one of those games all over again cause there isn't enough new content included to make you feel as if you have a new updated game. New user interface looks nice but funtions the same, in game web brower is nice but not really necessary, 99.9% of the content is from previous TRS games and the graphics of that content look the same. The one good plus is you can set your 'draw distance' further out depending on the power of your pc.

IMO Auran sold a game running on a new graphic engine that is up to the community to take advantage of. Will fellow community members take the time to make good looking correctly working content, or make halfassed stuff that looks no better than previous versions of Trainz? Auran sold us the 'possibity' of a better looking game, but didn't actually give us one.

IMHO, if your a previous 06 and/or 07 Trainz owner, stick with that game for a few more months cause even though this version is supposed to give us better graphics, there virtually is no content that makes it worth 30 bucks at this time cause the community has to make all of it first. All the scenerios and sessions in this game are the same that came with previous versions of Trainz. Once you marvil over the one new track and new loco, there isn't much else.

It's either full break or no break. Why do people half assed do loco's like that?

Dunno, maybe for the same reason people are half-arsed about spelling things properly ;)

this one at first will make you think you spent 30 bucks for one of those games all over again cause there isn't enough new content included to make you feel as if you have a new updated game.

The World Builder Edition was never about new content though, as has been said many times already.

Mike.

Dunno, maybe for the same reason people are half-arsed about spelling things properly ;)

The World Builder Edition was never about new content though, as has been said many times already.

Mike.

It never fails in every forum board there has to be someone who feels the need to be grammer police. Yeah my spelling isn't the best plus I'm replying using my smartphone but you understood what I meant to say dispite my mispellings so cut me some slack.

My point is, although this new version of the game boasts better graphics there virtually is none at this time till content creators make it. What your buying for 30 US bucks is a new graphic engine with new looking UI with better in game web browser, that's it. It still looks and feels like I'm playing TRS06. If your just a player and not a content creator, people may want to wait 4+ months before they buy this game.

New graphic engine yes but your only going to see a new track and one loco that takes advantage of it.

With that, as with any user content created game, 80% of the people don't take the time to do it right and make halfassed stuff. I'm hoping that won't be the case, however I'm not holding my breath.

As of now there is plenty not correct, which will make you wonder if the game was really beta tested cause the stuff is pretty obvious and hard to miss. So far I've reported missing bogeys on locos, at least a dozen missing textures, rolling stock that when placed on the track in Surveyer mode actually gets placed on the track but is invisible.

IMO Auran sold a game running on a new graphic engine that is up to the community to take advantage of. Will fellow community members take the time to make good looking correctly working content, or make halfassed stuff that looks no better than previous versions of Trainz? Auran sold us the 'possibity' of a better looking game, but didn't actually give us one.

IMHO, if your a previous 06 and/or 07 Trainz owner, stick with that game for a few more months cause even though this version is supposed to give us better graphics, there virtually is no content that makes it worth 30 bucks at this time cause the community has to make all of it first. All the scenerios and sessions in this game are the same that came with previous versions of Trainz. Once you marvil over the one new track and new loco, there isn't much else.

Looks like we are in chicken and egg mode here. This version is supposed to let content creators play with the new graphics engine and you are complaining about content created for previous versions not running correctly. I'm certain that content creators and the project to clean up the DLS will have an impact over time.

Most layouts give higher frame rates without spending a fortune on new hardware. So if you want higher frame rates then go TRS2009. It also allows you to access the TC3 level content on the DLS. IMHO this content is less likely to have errors than the TRS2004 items so the quality is up a bit.

80% of content creators turn out rubbish? Do let me know if you'd like anything special created and I'll make sure it goes at the very bottom of the list.

By the way Beta testing does not mean error free. I do not know of any software that is completely error free. The decision to release any software is a management one based on the cost of correcting the errors and what impact they might have and that's not just Trainz.

Cheerio John

Looks like we are in chicken and egg mode here. This version is supposed to let content creators play with the new graphics engine and you are complaining about content created for previous versions not running correctly. I'm certain that content creators and the project to clean up the DLS will have an impact over time.

Most layouts give higher frame rates without spending a fortune on new hardware. So if you want higher frame rates then go TRS2009. It also allows you to access the TC3 level content on the DLS. IMHO this content is less likely to have errors than the TRS2004 items so the quality is up a bit.

80% of content creators turn out rubbish? Do let me know if you'd like anything special created and I'll make sure it goes at the very bottom of the list.

By the way Beta testing does not mean error free. I do not know of any software that is completely error free. The decision to release any software is a management one based on the cost of correcting the errors and what impact they might have and that's not just Trainz.

Cheerio John

Seems as though you've taken personal offense to my opinions and comments dispite they are not directed to you personally. Unfortunatly there is a lot of content on the DLS that wasn't made well and soesn't work as it should and done half assed, and I'm sure you've happened to experience those items as well. Don't take it personal that I was talking about you specifically. Is there guidlines in place to help ensure people create quality content? I've downloaded things that I've had to take right back out of the game cause it's flawed and/or doesn't work right (in TRS06 I'm referring to). Some people just don't take the time required to make quality stuff. If your someone who does take the time, then I wasn't talking about you. This new game with it's new graphic capability is now heavily dependant on content creators to make it worth what the graphic engine is capable of. I pray that only the best and most talented people are creating the coolist, best working content for the game. Sorry if you felt offended by my comments, they where directed at no one specific.

Back