Was 2010 SP2 tested?

falcon500

Trainz drove me crazy
After TS2010 SP2 "update" routes can no longer be merged without track and splines flying off in all directions. Treez pack will not install. Last night I used CRT+O to revert to original this caused all custom content to be wiped from 2010. This has never happened before in any version of TRS. This seems to be an SP2 bug. Is any of this tested before release or are users just used as beta testers? I suppose we have to wait for the next update to fix these problems? Then that update will cause new sets of errors. I don't see the point of releasing this game with the faults it had and then expect buyer to DL 3 or 4 updates to fix problems.
Why not make sure the game was working correctly in the 1st place. Updates have to paid for with internet time, so not really free. I bought TS2010 and previous versions of Trainz for enjoyment not stress. Unfortunately if you want to make your own content and routes Trainz is the only choice. Auran hasn't any real competitor in that. However I won't be lining up to buy TS2012 or whatever Auran's next "Best Train Simulator Ever". They can keep it after this. If there was a reasonable alternative to TRS I'd buy that. About time Auran treated their customers like they mattered.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of releasing this game with the faults it had and then expect buyer to DL 3 or 4 updates to fix problems.
Why not make sure the game was working correctly in the 1st place.

Hi Falcon,
Welcome to the real world of commercial software, be it OS's, apps, games, whatever... Patches and service packs are just a part of everyday life. Auran/NV3 are no better (or worst) than most other software developers...

MS are still issuing monthly patches for XP and the OS is 8+ years old.
Maybe MS should have delayed releasing XP till 2010 and spent the last eight years sorting out all the bugs in it. :hehe: Unfortunately if they had, even they would have probably gone broke...

DECISIONS THAT SENIOR MANAGEMENT OF NV3 HAVE TO MAKE; It's looking reasonably stable so well release it and sort out the bugs with patches/service packs down the track and in the meantime, keep the cash-flow coming in so we can stay in business/sort out the bugs - verses; it could take us 18 months/2 years to get this version properly sorted out/bug free, so lets not release it yet. Not until it is at-least 98% bugs free and then release it (probably 18/24 months away).

There's only one small problem with the second option; well probably go broke in the meantime because not enough cash-flow is coming in to cover our costs...

NV3 dilemma, Release to soon, but get the cash-flow in to sort out most of the bugs or delay releasing to sort out most bugs and run a real risk of going broke... What do you recon they should choose ??? Go broke, or sort out the bugs down the track? :hehe:
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
G'day Falcon500, so sorry to hear you're having so many issues with SP2 for TRS2010. I have never seen any service pack 'erase' someone's entire local folder (and mine alone is now over 70gb of content). When you install a new SP or addon (Murchison 2, etc), it is highly advised once it's patched, if you go to CMP and do the following steps.

1) File/Settings/ double check your username/password are entered correctly (for some reason occassionally, it seems to 'forget' who you are, don't ask me why).

2) Go to File/Extended Database Repair (This will erase all the assets.tdx and other files (caches, etc) and rebuild the database, now, this might take some time depending on how much custom content (Local) you have installed.

3) CMP *should* show you KUID:XXXX:XXXX has been found at a new location (This means that it has 'found' the local content, and shall add it to its asset database).

Once this has finished, you *should* find all your local content installed, but the new asset database may not yet *know* of all you local content (including your own), as the TAD (Trainz Asset Database) tool will be running in the background, orgainizing and sorting all the content its found.

I hope this is fairly straight forward, and makes sense for you, if not, please let me know what isn't so clear, and I'll do my best to help try and make it clearer :)

Have had SP2 installed I thought successfully for a few weeks, installing didn't cause this. Using "revert to original" caused this problem. I don't buy the line the that NV3 is running the risk of going broke, that old chestnut has been used as convenient excuse since the Fury debacle. If NV3 expects customer loyalty and they've sure had that from me since UTC, I think they couldshow a bit respect and loyalty in return to customers. Instead what do we get? Oh this problem will be fixed in the next update. Or as one NV3 staffer glibly put it when TC3 was first released "whenever we make a new Trainz build something always gets broken". Not good enough NV3.

Back