The new Tornado model

edh6

Ff&WHR Fan
I've just downloaded this model and taken a look. Generally it's pretty nice, and I like the inclusion of additional MK1 liveries with it. However, there are few things on it that are wrong that could easily have been got right. One of these is the "detail" between the frames. It bears no resemblance at all to the real locomotive and is all coloured black when in reality things between the frames are usually red. However as it's quite hard to see from normal views I'm willing to let this one go. More annoying is the lining on the cab which is wrong on both liveries. The green one is missing the lining along the bottom and front edges of the cab side as well as the lining on the spectacle plate and along the bottom of the firebox wrapper (photo below showing real lining). The blue livery has extra lining along the back edge that shouldn't be there. Is there any possibility of an update to fix this rather obvious mistake? Also whoever made the "railtour style" consists has clearly not done any research at all as the types and order of the vehicles are completely unlike any railtour I've ever been on.

60163_Tornado_12_March_2009_Tyne_Yard_pic_10.jpg

Interesting. I don't have this new model but I have a payware version from camscott:

HCoyNgY.jpg

How does the new model compare to camscott's version? PBR new materials etc. not withstanding! I have to say that I have embellished camscott's textures to add a bit more detail!

The red linings are just about visible in this screenshot.

Rob.

Isn't this still in preview for Trainz+ users? There's a two-week window before asset is released for sale.

I would submit a bug report if this is the case and maybe the content creator can use the time to update the locomotives.

The extra variants of Mk1 body and bogie are much welcomed here.

The modelling looks at first glance to be very good (and gets better the longer you look at them - the detail is superb really), but could we have some accurate period liveries next please? Pretty please?

The crimson and cream colours are about as close as you'll get, but there's a lot of detail missing (text on the solebars, guard's compartment max. load) the coach number font, position and style are wrong, the numbers on the 1st class doors are in the wwrong position and most obviously the body ends shoud be painted black. I'm guessing N3V don't have anyone on the beta test team who is familiar with the prototype? I'm offering.....

The base models are so good (and so useful) it would be such a shame not to get them spot on.

PS to Ed: If you think the lining is bad, wait until you drive it - it weighs 100 tons more than it should and even the boiler pressure is wrong....

Last edited:
Interesting points Ed. I've only just seen the model so my immediate casual reaction was that it looks quite nice, but I hope your observations can be incorporated.

However, it would be a shame to miss out the very significant release of new Mk1 coaches in blue and grey though I think that probably deserves its own thread.

Paul

I have also noticed that when the whistle is activated, The steam seems to come from the right hand smoke deflector.

Obviously not fully tested before release.

Regards Dave.

I have also noticed that when the whistle is activated, The steam seems to come from the right hand smoke deflector.

Obviously not fully tested before release.

Regards Dave.

This is correct. Tornado's chime whistle is located behind the smoke deflector. This is in addition to the traditional LNER style whistle in the usual place on the cab.

Hi All
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have passed this on to our team for them to look into further, along with some other feedback we have received from other locations :)

As the team are on holidays at the moment, it might take a little bit for us to make a proper list of what needs doing, and what can be changed in a reasonable time. It's worth noting that for performance considerations, the areas between the frames are intentionally made quite simple as we expect these models to be used on a wide range of hardware.

Unfortunately sometimes it's easy for those of us not directly familiar with the prototypes to miss some aspects. We are working to improve our handling of this though, and have begun working with some content groups to achieve this, and will look into working with a few more people to hopefully help avoid these issues in future.

We are also intending, for the new year, that new releases will go through a public beta pass in TCCP so that we can gain further feedback before a full release, as more eyes are definitely better here, as everyone's feedback has shown! :)

Thanks again guys!
Zec

Glad to hear some improvements are being made and that future projects will have involvement from relevant experts in the community.

I've seen comments elsewhere about the loco sounds. The version of the three cylinder sound set by p-dehnert fixes the problems in the original by TRW1089 and should be used instead.

Hi All
We are also intending, for the new year, that new releases will go through a public beta pass in TCCP so that we can gain further feedback before a full release, as more eyes are definitely better here, as everyone's feedback has shown! :)

That's a great idea Zec, you should be able to get a lot of good feedback that way and improve the models before final release.

Paul

Back