Using the DLC as a cloud service

iannz

I see Kuid:8778:100007 says "This is a base of a map I have started on my ipod and I put the map on the DLS for download it into my Trainz mac. Don't download !".

I would have thought there is enough junk on the DLC now without using it as a personal cloud service for transferring across devices.

I get that N3V want a piece of the mobile pie, and yes it's true the Trainz apps are doing quite well. But for the love of god I beseech N3V to please put all mobile (iOS/Android) uploads into their own DLS cesspit, if allowed at all. There is this technological gap between a smartphone and a full-fledged computer that will never (at least not in your lifetime) be bridged so there is zero reason for PC/Mac Trainz to share the same DLS as mobile Trainz. Between all the spammers, mass uploaders, TTTE infants and unsupported content, browsing the DLS these days is like wading through a giant pool of sh!t.

Last edited:
icon1.png
Using the DLC as a cloud service
I see Kuid:8778:100007 says "This is a base of a map I have started on my ipod and I put the map on the DLS for download it into my Trainz mac. Don't download !".

I would have thought there is enough junk on the DLC now without using it as a personal cloud service for transferring across devices

All you need to do is make your own CDP file and copy it to a medium you can xfer to your MAC. Simple and faster than up/downloading to the DLS.

Bill​

Someone with experience should be let into the DLS, as an administrator, for a massive clean-up, and eradication of assets that were uploaded in mass ... Let me in there, and I'll "Clean House", it might take me 20 years to do so

Someone with experience should be let into the DLS, as an administrator, for a massive clean-up, and eradication of assets that were uploaded in mass ... Let me in there, and I'll "Clean House", it might take me 20 years to do so
Hell yes, I'll nominate ya :) . Start off with anything that doesn't have a proper name, thumbnail or description. There are 157 that say nothing more than IGZD and 1246 that say fenfe4, or the 84 krash-test ones, theres a starting point.

I raised this point over a year or more ago - mainly due to childish behaviour and unwanted routes etc coming on to the DLS - and still it goes on now we have Tane as well and yes I to vote for a PC only DLS and an alternative Mobile DLS.

All you need to do is make your own CDP file and copy it to a medium you can xfer to your MAC. Simple and faster than up/downloading to the DLS.
The iPad version of Trainz doesn't provide any export options at all. As far as I'm aware, upload to the DLS is the only official way to get a route off a mobile device. I'm not a fan of N3V's decision to let mobile versions share the DLS, but in this case I think the user has been clear on what he or she has done and why. Apart from taking up server space, I can't see the harm here.

R3

The iPad version of Trainz doesn't provide any export options at all. As far as I'm aware, upload to the DLS is the only official way to get a route off a mobile device. I'm not a fan of N3V's decision to let mobile versions share the DLS, but in this case I think the user has been clear on what he or she has done and why. Apart from taking up server space, I can't see the harm here.

R3
I hear you, so what happens when 500 people have uploaded routes and stuff from their android to PC, iPad to PC, one PC to another etc etc. All half made routes and bits and pieces. Having warnings or whatever saying don't download while it is helpful, doesn't really make it acceptable IMO. Maybe having mobile versions sharing the same DLS isn't the best of plans and we could see more of this in future.

At the very least, the N3V policy of not allowing user removal of their own files needs to be reviewed in the case of IOS/Android users, so the clutter can be removed.

And yes in principle the whole concept of the DLS as a "one size" fits all could do to be revisited...

A "modern" DLS for TANE stuff only.
The legacy DLS for classic PC editions.
The mobile "cloud" DLS.

...might be a start.

I agree that a change could be required in terms of allowing user removal of their own files, but only in certain circumstances and for mobile versions.

Otherwise, we could have a situation where a user gets annoyed enough to remove all their content from the Download Station and leave routes and other assets that depend on those assets in limbo.

Shane

You're not thinking sly enough Shane. It's very easy to "remove" your content from the DLS; simply update all your assets with a white box "null" object, so everyone who uses your content or runs an automated content update gets screwed big time.

In fact, a certain someone in this thread has had great success with this method.

Last edited:
You're not thinking sly enough Shane. It's very easy to "remove" your routes from the DLS; simply update all your assets with a white box "null" object, so everyone who uses your content or runs an automated content update gets screwed big time.

In fact, a certain someone in this thread has had great success with this method.

True, although there is always the option of removing the offending update afterwards. If the content is removed entirely though, that option may not be available.

Shane

Back