Upper size limit for CDP file

Derekc75

Trainz Veteran (TEG)
I have created a large route using hi-rez othro images. I created a CDP of the route (without errors) and the size is 380 megs. As a test I tried to install it in a second installation of Trainz with CMP (using "Import CDP's") but I got the following error (kuid numbers removed on purpose):

Error: Failed to install asset <kuid2:...........> (Failed to decompress data. Content package may be damaged)

There was an asset created but the warning reads: Error: Unable to read config file for asset .... etc.

I had sent this CDP to another Trainzer and they had the same problem.

Then I tried Plan B. I right-clicked the original route asset and "Edit in Explorer." This shows all the individual files (config.txt, mapfile.bmk, mapfile.gnd, etc.). The mapfile.gnd is over 800 megs!

I compressed (zipped) all of these files. Then I uncompressed them into a new subdirectory and this time with CMP I used "Import Content" and it worked perfectly!

I see this as a problem, because if my CDP file has gone beyond some limit in creating CDP's then I can not upload this to the DLS.

Does anyone know if there is an upper limit to the size of a CDP or have I run across a different problem.

Thank you for your comments. My Trainz and Windows version is below.

I don't know if there is a limit, but can I ask if this is a result of route mergers? The map file can be made smaller if you attempt to delete missing assets and if you don't have what I will term "continental shelves" as a result of route mergers. But now I am interested to here if there is a limit as well.

Does anyone know if there is an upper limit to the size of a CDP or have I run across a different problem.

The upper limit is effectively determined by the amount of memory TADDaemon can allocate on your computer. We consider about 750MB to be quite safe on all computers. Some can handle a fair bit more than that, but a lot can't. This has nothing to do with the amount of RAM your computer has.

chris

the size is 380 megs
We consider about 750MB to be quite safe on all computers.
Which makes me believe Derekc has a low-end PC (which I doubt) or different problem.

I think I have seen similar problems a year ago when trying to do something similar (move assets from one install to another). My analysis resulted in not trying to move assets which had "special characters" in the name, like (single and double) quotes, colons and semi-colons. If you have those in the route name, consider renaming the route. Dependencies with those things can just be re-downloaded (assuming you know the source).

Which makes me believe Derekc has a low-end PC (which I doubt) or different problem.

I think I have seen similar problems a year ago when trying to do something similar (move assets from one install to another). My analysis resulted in not trying to move assets which had "special characters" in the name, like (single and double) quotes, colons and semi-colons. If you have those in the route name, consider renaming the route. Dependencies with those things can just be re-downloaded (assuming you know the source).

Just to clarify - special characters in names can increase the map file size significantly?

Hi everyone:

Thank you for the responses. I have a good "gaming" computer with Intel Core i7-3770K, 3.5 GHz, 16 Gig Ram, NVidia GeForce GTX660, affectionately called "the beast." So resources are not a problem. I did not merge routes to create this route. It was produced using TransDEM. There are no special characters in the route name.

I have tried "every which way" that I can think of to get this into a CDP that works. No luck so far. After I add it to the second install of Trainz T12 if I try "Edit in explorer" I can see all of the files except config.txt. That is the problem, it does not find config.txt in the CDP. Any more thoughts?

As far as I can see, both archive and cdp files use 32 bit integer pointers for internal data so file size is limited to about 2GB. Unless N3V have improved their file builders they have not checked if there is an overflow in file data, so a large file may be garbage.

Just wondering if by having a session file along with the route that contains speed signs, signals , track and direction markers may allow somebody to expand the size of route as these are two separate files.

As far as I can see, both archive and cdp files use 32 bit integer pointers for internal data so file size is limited to about 2GB. Unless N3V have improved their file builders they have not checked if there is an overflow in file data, so a large file may be garbage.

What is threshold of the map file size we should be weary of?

So here is where I am at. When I try to install the CDP as I mentioned before, I get the fatal "Failed to install" error. When I go to "Edit in Explorer" I see all of the files except for config.txt and thumbnail.jpg. I have tried this several times with the same result. On a hunch, I went to the original install (under Userdata\editing) and opened the route. I copied the config.txt and thumbnail.jpg into the open "Edit in Explorer" folder and then committed it. Viola, it works! :D I want to upload this to the DLS. At this point it looks like I would have to upload the route PLUS a separate, dependent CDP with only the config.txt and thumbnail.jpg to the DLS. Is this possible? How would I do that?

I would like to solve this problem because this route is a different type of route concept. Please see the following forum post where I explain what this route looks like with hi-rez ortho images.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-quality-ortho-images-new-route-possibilities

Thanks.

Last edited:
How many miles long is your route, number of textures, number of genus of trees and grass's ? These factors also make a negitive impact on performance.

I know that you posted its size in GB.

If you should experience sudden unexpected death ... or if that you experience that your route takes 4 or more hours to drive ... contact your physician immediately !

Last edited:
By definition ANY and EVERY trainz asset must have a config.txt file.

If you are uploading a large route you should upload it separately and include any dependencies in separate uploads. The largest route in TS12 is ECML Newcastle to Kings Cross and this route has an enormous number of base boards. It is about 580MB BEFORE cdp compression so would easily fit in one cdp file at less than the 500MB limit set by N3V.

Back