TS2010 DISTROYED MY ROUTES !!

Thanks for your replies.

paul502,

TS2009 does not have the layer function. I'm assuming that layer function is essential in doing what you suggested.

calm1952,

The "replace asset" function does not work on the trees that were imported from 2009. It only works IF I move one of the imported tree and the new replacements still gets replaced at the GROUND SURFACE. The problem with my routes are that 99% of the trees are at least 50% buried into the ground.

I already tried cloning the old trees and using the "replace asset" function. As I said before, the "replace asset" function DOES NOT replace the new asset in the OLD ELEVATION relative to the ground surface. The new ones are placed ON THE SURFACE. One of the bugs that never got fixed. With the release of 2012, the chance for an SP5 for 2009 is looking to be slim and none. So, replacing all the trees with the cloned version still destroys the look of my routes because all the trees will be FULL HEIGHT.

For me to move up to 2010, I will have to spend several months re-planting several hundred thousand trees.

AND now . . . the saddest news of all . . . NO MORE COMPATIBILITY MODE IN 2012 !!!!!!!!!! :':)':)'(

I'm quite certain that this will EXILE MOST OF US HARD CORE BUILDERS !!!!

I do not download routes from DSL. I have only operate on my routes. WHY ? ALL the routes I tried, including the built-in ones were all too "Leggo-Land looking" and I could not enjoy operating in such environments. There is nothing wrong with them, Its just not my cup-of-tea.

The sad thing is, I have already written a "Route Manual" for my routes. It includes instructions on how to modify existing routes for I-Portal interconnection within the same computer. This can join many of your favorite routes so you can run a session from one route, through two others and service an industry on the fourth one . . . then drive all the way back . . . if you want to.

I have drawn all the yards and interchange maps that are accurate for the track layouts and default junction settings. There are three over-all route maps for the 3 "I-Portal interconnected" routes.

I have written ride-along Tours of each routes. I'm writing "Session Manuals" for each of my sessions with instructions and tips from a veteran driver.

My last estimate was for over 80 sessions that range in length from hour and a half to fiver hours where more than 50% of the expected session time
is driving the train.

I was hoping to upload it somewhere, donate it all to NV3 for distribution OR start a private "Virtual R.R. Club". Now more than ever, it looks like its going to be a small private club that shares each others routes.

As far as upgrades are concerned . . . I think Its the END OF THE LINE for my railroad.

This is a sad state of affairs for Legacy members.

Thanks
ED

Perhaps I missed something, but can't you just clone the trees and use a height offset in each tree's config.txt? Just a thought. You might even be able to ask the asset author to be able to redistribute the offset trees as a special asset; or, at least, provide instructions for the end user to do so.

RRSignal,

Yes, I thought about that . . . but 90% of the trees are the same particular tree in many different heights. I was trying to avoid trees with same height. In the real world, trees never grow to be identical in height. Therefore, replacing this one particular tree at any single height also destroys the overall look. Replanting the trees seems to be the only option.

But . . . on my computer, 2010 does not improve my route performance enough to warrant months of time required for replanting. Since 2012 does not support compatibility mode, all routes that were built using any alpha-trees are incompatible.

Thanks
Ed

I have found that if you turn down the ST movement to a minimum, the performance is better than if they're blowing in the gale all the time.

John

I have found that if you turn down the ST movement to a minimum, the performance is better than if they're blowing in the gale all the time.

John

Funny thing about SpeedTriffids; even when they are not moving, they are still blowing...:eek:

Funny thing about SpeedTriffids; even when they are not moving, they are still blowing...:eek:

Yeah, but not as much... LOL. At least they're not acting like the RFD is hitting them from a super cell thunderstorm!

John

TC1&2 --> TS2010 no problem with trees

I imported a route from TC1&2 to TS2010 and all trees came over fine, without using compatablity mode. None were replaced by speedtrees. About 50 buildings or so didn't make the trip, so I'll find and use something else built-in or on the DLS.

Later, I replaced all my old trees on my imported route in TS2010 with a limited selection of speedtrees (using the replace asset menu choice), based on advice on this forum that speedtrees perform better (and I think they look better as well).

Back