TRS22 Spline Points - Surveyor classic versus Surveyor S20

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
There has been some discussion on the pros and cons of the spline point indicators in Classic Surveyor and Surveyor S20.

I have used Surveyor S20 for over 150 hours at this point and have a big issue with how Surveyor S20 displays spine points (too small - hard to find),

For anyone interested in seeing the difficulty I am having I would invite them to look at the following route and session by Guilliams Yves (Ardennes Track New Era). The route is <kuid2:181290:100269:15> and the session <kuid2;181290:100270:9>. Yves loves to use lots of spines. Look at the session in Surveyor classic and you will see circles everywhere. Now switch to Surveyor S20 and look at the same scene. How do locate all those spline points?

This route and session are probably at the extreme end of the spectrum of the use of splines, but it clearly identifies the problem I am having in my routes with finding spline points.

Maybe I am missing something here, and if so, what?

I actually find the spline points in the new surveyor easier to use and find. You just got to get used that the spline points aren't displayed all the time like in classic. You hover over with your mouse and all the spline points will light up in your view.

I actually find the spline points in the new surveyor easier to use and find. You just got to get used that the spline points aren't displayed all the time like in classic. You hover over with your mouse and all the spline points will light up in your view.

Thats assuming you know where the spline points are. It is easy to find them on track and roads, but when you have hundreds of them with spline vegetation it's a different matter as illustrated by the route I refenced.

How do locate all those spline points?

It depends - what do you want to do with "all those spline points"?

Is Classic, you get to see lots of splines, but there is no way to see the "other end" of the spline.

In S20 you can highlight the entire spline, or multiple splines.

I looked at the route and the first thing I did was created a new "bush" layer and double clicked on a bush to multi-select all of that type, then change the layer in Info tab to "bush". Then by hiding that layer it's already easier to see the splines.

I'm not sure what you want to do next, but if you spell out the goal I'll see if I can advise further.

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion does help in removing some of the clutter.

But my bigger question is why the end of the spine point has to be that tiny tiny black square. Depending on some of the texture used that black dot is extremely hard to find. I know when you finally find it and hover the mouse over it the color changes to green. Even this is easier to see than the smaller black square.

I will give you a very specific example to look at.

I lay done the ground cover PBR Crushed Stone Ballast by johnnyc1 <kuid2:473136:105105:1>. I then apply the spline JVC@-Grass 342 asymmetric by Jankvis <kuid2:328583:1023:1>. The issue here is that the ballast has lots of black spots. Furthermore, when you highlight the spline the end point is at a distance from the end of the highlight, so you are left trying to find the little black square somewhere at the end of the highlighted portion. I need to find this end point so I can add onto and extend the spine. It seems that when you highlight the spline it does not highlight the end points - which would make the process a lot easier.

Last edited:
Back