Surveyor 2.0 Multiple Selections - Edit Details

ctclark1

I will start by saying that I've been away from Trainz for a little while, after what could only have been described as another crushing blow to my psyche after a route I had been working on turned to mush. I returned recently as something to occupy my time while I've been on holiday break from work. I started a new route again, this one much smaller than any of my previous attempts, in the hopes that maybe I can actually finish one before everything self-destructs, but that's not the point here.

Given the experiences I've had over the last two weeks, I need to say that, among other somewhat disappointing revelations about Surveyor 2.0, I think perhaps one of the most egregious failings is that selecting multiple splines or spline points, either using Shift+Click or the Marquee tool, and then using the Spline details (for track condition) OR Spline Point details (for superelevation), does NOT actually modify all of the selected spline or spline point details? What on EARTH is the point of being able to select multiple items, which in all reality SHOULD be an improvement over the original Surveyor, if I cannot edit the details of them all at the same time???? What has happened instead, is that I've discovered it's actually FASTER to edit these in the original because it only ends up being a single click on EVERY SINGLE SPLINE POINT in order to set my superelevations one spline point at a time, whereas Surveyor 2.0 ends up requiring TWO clicks for the menu and then the details. I haven't really tried, but I assume that this failing also applies to the "Details" window of any other type of object as well.

Am I missing something here? Because if not, Seriously. Who thought that was a good idea?

Surveyor 2.0 is still WIP.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that need updating still in Surveyor 2.0 including those panels where the pallets stick. closing or moving the pallets doesn't get rid of the grey-brown panels which defeats the purpose of having moveable pallets!

In the end, this could also be a bug and you can report this to the QA Team.

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Provide as much detail as you can. You can use the problem step recorder that comes with Windows to show step-by-step what you have explained here.

Am I missing something here? Because if not, Seriously. Who thought that was a good idea?
Well I, for one, think that Surveyor 2.0 is a great idea and a significant improvement over the original Surveyor.
selecting multiple splines or spline points, either using Shift+Click or the Marquee tool, and then using the Spline details (for track condition) OR Spline Point details (for superelevation), does NOT actually modify all of the selected spline or spline point details?
When modifying the properties of multiple selected spline segments (not endpoints) you are currently limited to those properties that appear in the Tool Options Palette. Track Condition is one of those properties - I just tested it by selecting multiple spline segments (a Double Left Click without the Shift key will select ALL the segments up to the next junction in both directions) and then set the track condition value in the Tool Options Palette. All the segments had their track condition set to the entered value. As super elevation is not (yet) in the Tools Option Palette then you cannot set this value for multiple segments.

In terms of work flow and work efficiency, Surveyor 2.0 is well ahead of its predecessor. For example: it now takes me a fraction of the time I once spent using Surveyor 1.0 to smooth the terrain under multiple track segments.

Since I am assuming that you are new to using Surveyor 2.0 may I refer you to some Trainz Wiki Pages that you may find useful.

How_to_Use_S20_Tools

How_to_Use_S20_Palettes

PS: I suspect that your problems stem from selecting multiple spline segments and then opening the Edit Properties dialogue window for just one segment (usually the last one selected) and expecting the edit to apply to all segments. This is not how it works in Surveyor 2.0. Almost all editing is now performed using the palettes, and in particular, the Assets Palette, the Tool Options Palette, the Info Palette and the Scrapbook Palette, plus others.

Last edited:
Back