TRS 22 Plus 123794 has random Game Freezes

DaveL

Recovering RBR Addict
The title says it all.
This is NOT acceptable at all!
Sometimes it lasts for 2 hours and then maybe 4 hours.

Grumble, Grumble!!

DaveL

I would firstly check the "usual suspect" for this - your AV software.

Have you added trs22.exe to your real time AV scan exclusion list? How you do that will vary from one AV package to another.

Hi pware,

I have never heard of "real time AV scan exclusion list"
What is it and how do I add trs22.exe to the list?

Dave

Most systems come with an antivirus program these days. Microsoft supplies their Defender antivirus program with Windows and is installed by default. That doesn't mean you have to use this, although it really is a top-rated antivirus program. Many bundled systems come with Norton Antivirus or McAfee and these latter two can be a bit more aggressive and impact performance both due to excessive scanning but also due to being resource intensive on the computer system.

There are three ways of running an antivirus program, generally called antimalware these days. There is a real-time scan as mentioned and there is a scheduled scan or manual scan. The real-time scan is the one that can cause problems. As it scans every file that's open, decompressed, or executed, this can not only impact performance but can actually cause problems for us while we use Trainz.

TRS22 assets are compressed into tzarc files. A tzarc file is a compressed file similar to zip or 7zip. As we run TRS22, the files are decompressed on the fly and the antivirus program will scan each and every asset as it is loaded into memory. This process will not only impact the performance but it will also sometimes prevent the program from running properly causing such things as the inability to install the patches properly and corrupting the upgrade and even the program data itself.

To get around this issue, Trainz's program files and the data folder need to be excluded from the real-time scanning. How this is done depends upon the antivirus program you are running.

Hi John,

Sorry, my post was a bit short on info......
My computer is a win10 PC.
I think I found where to "play" with the protection, but have no clue what boxes to check......

DaveL

Hi John,

Sorry, my post was a bit short on info......
My computer is a win10 PC.
I think I found where to "play" with the protection, but have no clue what boxes to check......

DaveL
If you are running Windows Defender:

Go into settings - the Gear icon on the Windows menu or under the Actions menu located on the far right near the clock.
Click on Update & Security

On the right, click on Open Windows Security.
Click on Virus & threat protection

On the right panel, click Manage settings located under Virus & threat protection settings
Scroll down until you see Exclusions.
Click on Add or remove exclusions

A security box will come up. Click on Yes.

Click on + Add an exclusion.
Click on Folder.

A Windows Explorer window will open up...
Browse for your Trainz program.

Add in C:\Program Files\N3V Games\ and then the Trainz version you have installed. (I have Trainz Plus) so I selected that one. (If you installed it on another driver, browse to that one instead).

Repeat the + Add an exclusion and add in your Trainz data-folder wherever that is by browsing for it in the same way and selecting that one.

Once done close the windows since you don't need to do this any longer.

Back