Why does it run without problems in TRS19 but not in TRS22 ?

hutten

Hello,

TRS22Plus has presented several problems for me, e.g. the flashing trees and some signals being dark. Another one of these problems is this.
I have a medium-sized route (120 MB in CM) that runs well in TRS19. It has over 20 trains, and lasts two hours. Most trains however reach their destination much earlier.
I use the very same route and session assets, at build 5.0, in TRS22. Unfortunately, in TRS22 (122411 and 123794) it always ends in CTD. In a very unpredictable manner, however. I see no pattern.
For testing, I have disabled many assets, though sometimes that disturbed the session of course. Buildings, signals, industries and various other scripted assets. I have also tried eliminating the EIT, by disabling the signal box asset, and/or disabling the rule assets, and even taking out the trains that use EIT commands.
But, it also happened that the program crashed when I started scrolling the onscreen Drivers listing immediately after the start of the session. The trains had not even begun running. I could at least reproduce that once more. But when I followed one train on the screen, it could take longer, even up to 30 minutes before a CTD occurred.

No missing assets, no faulties in CM. The whole session runs to its end in TRS19. Not so in TRS22.
What has changed that could make the difference, and how could I critically test it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

Paul this all might end up being a hardware issue with the PC and or Having stuff OPEN FOR EDIT as well... most players don't check there OPEN FOR EDITING after porting over and downloading assets from the DLS, I know this i have had it happen a couple of times... If its a hardware issue with the PC might have a virus or an update pending for the PC... I have had this happen also.. when looking at the route you may have an item that shows ok in the game but looking at the Faulty dependencies area of Content Manager might show differently I would look there first.... then also Rebuild the Database and do an Extended Database Repair as well.... Hope this helps.
Retro

Thanks Retro. Nothing left Open for Edit, for sure. EDBR done. A faulty asset that is not listed as being faulty, yes, that would be quite possible. But there is no pattern. It could be the base of the route as well, but there is no pattern in the crashes.
Hope it is not hardware, but I do not think so. In TRS19 it is fine, and so far other routes in TRS22 run without crash. And by the way, I have not yet experienced a crash when in Edit mode. Hence I think it has to do with the trains' schedules, which are in a schedule library. I could run the trains one by one, but when they all run at the same time, they interact, wait, etc. So the whole session changes by not having them run simultaneously.

Paul

Thanks Retro. Nothing left Open for Edit, for sure. EDBR done. A faulty asset that is not listed as being faulty, yes, that would be quite possible. But there is no pattern. It could be the base of the route as well, but there is no pattern in the crashes.
Hope it is not hardware, but I do not think so. In TRS19 it is fine, and so far other routes in TRS22 run without crash. And by the way, I have not yet experienced a crash when in Edit mode. Hence I think it has to do with the trains' schedules, which are in a schedule library. I could run the trains one by one, but when they all run at the same time, they interact, wait, etc. So the whole session changes by not having them run simultaneously.

Paul
Send me a PM a good friend of mine had the same issue and he is on the Forums under JCitron.. look for his post on Driver schedules Library... He had to totally Rebuild his game from the ground up

For the moment I will leave the PM, but thank you Retro for your suggestions.
I will start from the route and create a new session, introducing trains one by one. That is actually refreshing in itself, and gives me the opportunity to introduce new things. There was no structure in the schedules anyway, only trains going from A to B, C to D, etc. The trains were interacting in the limited space, but all movements were unrelated in a timetable sense. I should take a fresh approach.

Paul

What frame rate are you getting in your route under Trainz 22? They changed the meaning of the settings, so you may need to dial down your performance settings a bit. I ultra performance in 19 is equivalent to high in 22.

Hello,

TRS22Plus has presented several problems for me, e.g. the flashing trees and some signals being dark. Another one of these problems is this.
I have a medium-sized route (120 MB in CM) that runs well in TRS19. It has over 20 trains, and lasts two hours. Most trains however reach their destination much earlier.
I use the very same route and session assets, at build 5.0, in TRS22. Unfortunately, in TRS22 (122411 and 123794) it always ends in CTD. In a very unpredictable manner, however. I see no pattern.
For testing, I have disabled many assets, though sometimes that disturbed the session of course. Buildings, signals, industries and various other scripted assets. I have also tried eliminating the EIT, by disabling the signal box asset, and/or disabling the rule assets, and even taking out the trains that use EIT commands.
But, it also happened that the program crashed when I started scrolling the onscreen Drivers listing immediately after the start of the session. The trains had not even begun running. I could at least reproduce that once more. But when I followed one train on the screen, it could take longer, even up to 30 minutes before a CTD occurred.

No missing assets, no faulties in CM. The whole session runs to its end in TRS19. Not so in TRS22.
What has changed that could make the difference, and how could I critically test it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

I have the same issues... its one of the reasons I still have TRS19 and the TRS22 SP3 made things worse for me, with SP3 the game is unplayable im my opinion I am glad I still have an old install (Pre SP2). What I have learned is that when you play TRS22 with a "heavy" session (e.g. lots of AI trains) you have to literally shut down every process that can use memory or disk in the background (like windows indexing service) and do nothing that could even slightly affect the GPU/CPU and then you are lucky to get a couple of hours gameplay without it freezing up. Signals being dark is caused by junctions placed in TRS19 that for some reason cannot be correctly read by TRS22(?) Do a bulk asset replace with the signals (Use some random object) and then bulk replace the random object with the signals again, that should fix it.

The CTD seems to be an all-too-common problem since this version of TRS22 and Plus has arrived. I've been lucky with that but I did rebuild from the ground up when my own install deep-sixed itself. I went as far as ditching my 20 years of content and starting over. After starting with a clean set up, I've had no other issues since except for 7 missing assets I've been looking for in my backups and downloads.

What you might want to do is set up a new data folder for TRS22 and install any DLC you may own to get that straightened out and operational. Ensure to exclude the program and data folders from your antivirus since this is a new location.

Once this is operational, import your routes, download any dependencies from the DLS and then finally import any assets not found on the DLS into your new setup.

I have learned in the past that with new versions I've had to save my routes and sessions under the new version before running any sessions. This is most likely due to data changes between the versions.

As always, back up things prior to making any changes to ensure you have something to fall back on should things get stuffed.

Hello,

Thanks for more reactions. I have not been here for a day or two, so I react late.
@Williamg: yes, replacing the signal with the same helps. But, I have very many different signals (of my own making), so that will be cumbersome.
@JCitron: I can run two freshly introduced trains with a freshly typed in schedule on that same old route without problems. I will increase the number of trains... But it should not be like that, one having to throw everything out of the window. And saving route and session in the latest build did not help, I had tried that before I posted.

Regards,
Paul

Did you have any success? I seem to be having similar issues with sessions that have a lot of trains / commands, both my own, and on the Japan Model Railway route. Time to CTD varies, but is generally only a couple of minutes.

Back