Trams again?

Some great looking tram routes there, Can't wait to try them out when they come on the DLS.

I'm going to blackpool next year after xmas, to do some research and perhaps take photos of the tram system and so that i am prepared for route building, does anyone know where to obtain a map of the blackpool tram system?, preferably at the time when the trams used to run past the starr gate and into the towns streets..

There is such a route for MS Train sim, It will be good to recreate such a route for trainz as it will inspire others to do so too.

regards

:D

Have you been to the Blackpool Site ?

Give you a Route map but not a track map and nice photos, I did have the MSTS version of this route and the track layot is intresting, since i upgraded my computer it does not like MSTS anymore, just crashes.

Tom

Hope you get the information you need there crodgersz2005 as it would be good to see the Blackpool Tramway includiung the pre-war track off the seafront into the city. I understand it once went on past Starr Gate to Lytham-St Ann's?

3 phase traffic lights

To anyone who likes to play with Andi06's traffic lights:

...this may be of interest.

I've had a play with Andi06's script, and it appears to work. If three crossing objects are placed (preferably my new single ended ones), and each leg of the controller is connected to a different combination of two of them, then you have a working traffic light controlled T-junction. If anyone wants to have a play, send me a PM, and I'll send the files.

Thanks must go to Andi for his original objects and script, without which none of this would be possible...

Paul

Calling Silversmith & Motorman1066

@Silversmith & Motorman1066:

As you may have noticed, I've been building tram routes in both 6.4m and 5.3m overhead. Many of the excellent items that you have built for 6.4m overhead do not have readily available equivalents for the lower height overhead (e.g. antique poles or pull-offs). I have devised a simple mesh with an attachment point 1.1m below ground that can be used to alias any (non-trackside) scenery object into a trackside object 1.1m lower than the original, and I need to ask:

1. Would either of you object to having your items aliased in this way? Full credit will be given in the description.

2. Where only a trackside version currently exists, can I include your original mesh and textures in the package? Trainz does not permit the use of trackside items as attached meshes. Alternatively, could you upload a scenery version?

I can send beta versions of my work so far if you are interested...

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Tramway Overhead

Hi, Paul,
Just to confirm I have no objection to your plans in relation to my overhead poles etc.
I always follow your posts and screenshot submissions so, I am sure, I shall be able to view progress and results from those without your needing to send me any kindly offered beta versions.

Regards, Alan

Alan,

Thanks! You'll start to see some slightly lower versions of your items coming out soon...

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is a wonderful idea for users of lower trolley wire heights.

Feel free to use any of my assets as you please. The more people who can get enjoyment out of our creations the better.

If you require any special considerations, alterations, meshes just ask.

Cheers
Sel

PS Thankyou for using my avatar. It is good to see that others like and want to use them as well.

Sel,

Many thanks! I've just started using your pull-offs and hangers on the extension to my Westhaven route, and it looked so much better I've decided to re-do all of it! It's a massive help to be able to do the same for Bridgehampton, it just means a lot of re-laying.... :'(

And thanks for uploading the Avatar!

Paul

Hey Paul,

I've been having a think about your idea of aliasing Allan's and my non-trackside scenery and I am having trouble understanding the reason why you would want to do so. Nearly all of our scenery assets are height adjustable and unless your ground level is at zero, as in layouts with terrain, there is usually a fair amount of fiddling required before the infrastructure all matches anyway.

However, having said that and not wanting to squash your idea. Because the assets are so simple in nature, both in complexity and poly size, it would be far easier to use the original meshes and lower the objects to the height you require, than become involved with creating extra polys underground and aliasing each item.

The reason I haven't duplicated these assets myself using different heights for the contact wire, is because, from the amount of feedback the forum has received in the past, there seems to be a multiplicity of wire heights in use amongst the community. Whilst I would be prepared to duplicate assets for your 5.3m height for example, I would not like to have to multiplicate the assets to suit all cases.

I imagined that because the the assets were height adjustable, one case would suit all. I can see that it would be far easier (providing ground level was zero on every board) to place each item at one height without the need for the extra fiddle for wire height.

Would you care to send me a personal e-mail so we can discuss your idea and reasons in more detail?

Cick on images for examples of overhead infrastructure.

Regards
Sel

I have now completed the South West section of the former Glasgow Tramway closed in 1962. This was a very well spreadarea and took ages off and on. By the end of this week I willl add the latest slideshow for the South West to add to the other 5 done some time ago (West-City Centre-North-East-South East). Now I'm about to tackle the last area, 'South' which covers the area south of the River Clyde still outstanding - Gorbals-Oatlands-east side of Queen's Park district-Cathcart-Rouken Glen-Clarkston. Some 6 depots done, Partick, Maryhill, Possil, Dennistoun, Dalmarnock plus the 2 small ones at Tollcross and in distant Barrhead. The rest to follow. It may not be a pristine layout but is based on the extensive system that served the city and suburbs. Ensuring every line goes in where they were, I have now reached 230 boards but after frustrations and on-off due to the size of the historical project there are now glimmers of an end in sight hopefully by into early 2008. Will intimate when the website slideshow is updated shortly. Now to the Gorbals of 1962!

I have started to build a London tram route, starting with the south london LCC routes, but this might not ever get on the DLS as I seem to get bored of a route and do something else!

Would be a pity to give up ppalfrey. I often had the same thought with this tramway project doing a whole city. However having come so far I would go on and on and refuse to give up even wenmu erratic health jumps in. I can understand how easy a big project can tempt to throw in the towel.

My latest news is that I have now added the 6th slideshow for the South West on my website below. I got a shock when I counted the boards. I have now completed 236 boards of the Glasgow Tramway! Still not finished though. Now on to the 7th part of this system. Had a barnstorming start to the "South" now that I have completed the Gorbals and Oatlands. My attention is now turned to the rest of what is left of south of the river seeing the south West and South East are in the bag. Jumping about but I expect January will see me working my way through the other side of Queen's Park, Langside, Mount Florida, Cathcart, Govanhill, Stamperland, Clarkston, Giffnock, Rouken Glen.

This latest slideshow of just over 40 pictures adds to the 130 already up covering the West-City Centre-North-East-South East, Reckon this latest part of the system will take me to the end of January then some going over and then decide whether to add two routes planned but never built.

Each time I look at my city map I can't believe how much I have walked for this great love affair I have had for the former Glasgow Tramway. Now if I had only given the same dedication to the women who have passed through my life......

I had a problem with Trainz and had to re-install it. I hadn't saved my route anywhere else so i've lost it.:'( I had only just started so it doesn't matter that much. At the moment, I am using gmax to make a (drivable) bus.

Just a quick note to say I've been developing something that might be of use to those of you who do modern trams:

Screen_100-1.jpg

These are based on Andi06's mesh for his tram crossings, resized to the regulation 300mm diameter, with new attachment points added (each light point is an individual corona). There are plain stop/go versions, left/right diverge, and 3-way versions, in left and right hand positions with a variety of offsets to allow them to line up with overhead poles.

The tramway speed signs and crossings are mostly waiting for me to upload. I'm not far from finishing Westhaven Coastal, so these will have to be uploaded first. My Westhaven destination textures will also be uploaded, along with the 3-way crossing controller. All of these (including the route) are stuck on my other computer which is refusing to boot at the moment.

Paul

And here's something else that may interest some of you...

Screen_103-1.jpg

These are trackside objects, and this set is to suit the track by Denis_fr (5.3m wire, 3.2m track centres). I'm planning to do a wider range of track centres, so as to give a complete range. I may do some 6.4m wire heights.

These items reference Motorman1066's pull-offs as attached meshes, and use Andi06's grey tram poles in the same way (I've created a stand-alone version of the pole from Andi's spline first). I've already discussed doing this with Sel, and hopefully Andi will have no objections to my re-working his content in this way.

Coming to a DLS near you when my other computer is fixed...

Paul

Well after a long and sometimes weariesome time I have just completed the 7th segment and the 7th slideshow to go with that "South" part of the Glasgow Tramay System.

I have added 40 routine pictures for the South and added to the 130 plus for the West-City Cebtre-North-East-Southeast-Southwest that makes over 170 pics altogethere on the web site. As a build of what was once an actual city tramway I have laid every single line that existed including those removed prior to the 2nd WW. Wherever there was a Glasgow tramline it is there and the termnus destinations are where they were too. It has been a long time in doing off an on as at times I did feel I had taken on too much for my first Trainz attempt. However there are places I need to go back to and I may not sort out every zilch but I have noticed some glaring things to sort. The grand total covering the whole city network has finally amounted to 238 boards.

Anyone visiting the site can catch up on th latest additional slideshow for that final part of the jigsaw. Now I really must in the next couple of days get into my FRAPS prog so a Glasgow tram can be seen running. So Trainz tram fans why not pop into Glasgow and see a lost worldthat once amounted to 1100 trams.

From a knackered Glasgow tram nut.

Bobby

Great work Bobby ! :sleep: and I know exactly how you feel after such a prolonged effort on one layout.

Norm.

Melbourne AU

Thought id put up a shot of what i am working on. I have attempted about 6 times over the past 7 mths to do it and each time i do better. And now that i have worked out how to change the images on the buildings / trains / trams etc its working well this time around.
my.php

Back