Trainz22 vs Trainz22PE: What is the difference? Answer at end of thread: Nothing, until you register.

MasterTracklayer

On my My Trainz pages I find download links for both Trainz22 and Trainz22PE, both build 123801. What are the differences between them?

Not much. If you install TS22 it will morph into TS22 PE.

I think there's a bit more content available but as always some assets that were built in earlier versions are no longer available.

Cheerio John

I think that that may have happened to me. I thought that I had installed Trainz22, but find that I`m running Trainz22PE. After discovering the presence of the two links, but before noticing that the installed version calls itself Trainz22PE, I started downloading the PE version. I guess that I can cancel the download, then, eh? Oh, and those no-longer-available assets? If I did install Trainz22 instead of Trainz22PE, would any such assets that may have been in Trainz22 still be in my Trainz22PE? Obviously I would not have them if I had installed PE in the first place. <wink> Thank you.

I think that that may have happened to me. I thought that I had installed Trainz22, but find that I`m running Trainz22PE. After discovering the presence of the two links, but before noticing that the installed version calls itself Trainz22PE, I started downloading the PE version. I guess that I can cancel the download, then, eh? Oh, and those no-longer-available assets? If I did install Trainz22 instead of Trainz22PE, would any such assets that may have been in Trainz22 still be in my Trainz22PE? Obviously I would not have them if I had installed PE in the first place. <wink> Thank you.
If it was in your TS22 then they will be retained in PE.

Cheerio John

In addition to more content, you will have access to the new Surveyor 2.0 and the ability to load up HD Terrain routes. Editing these routes, however, will convert them to the 5m grid. The bonus, though is Surveyor 2.0.

I have noticed that I now have Surveyor 2 and some other goodies that I hadn`t had when I originally installed the last build that supported Win7, but unless the current 123801 build morphed into PE *after* I installed it, that content would be in a different trainzbase. The only route that I had was pretty much unstarted except for the Rules in the session. Oddly enough, the session survived export/import, but the route itself did not. Anyway, the five-meter grid isn`t much of an issue for me at this time.

I have been AFK for a while, and I will be again for another while after I post this, but no-one answered
I guess that I can cancel the download, then, eh?
I do have an in-progress download of the file behind the PE link, and wouldn`t mind at all if someone were to tell me if I should or should not abort that download.

Other than that, I appreciate the assistance. (y)

I should have thought of this earlier: Both pages list a checksum (md5). I looked at the checksums and discovered that they looked like they match. To make sure, I copied the checksums from both pages and pasted them into a Python (actually, nearly any language would; I just happen to have Python handy) shell as string values an put the equality operator between them. Result: They do match. This means that the two installers are almost certainly copies of the same bleeping file.

To put this plainly, and for future reference: if you go to the Trainz22 download page and download the installer, you get the installer for Trainz22PE instead.

They are the same in terms of trainzbuild and files. They both contain the files needed to run HDT and S20. The difference is the non-PE one has certain features (S20, HDT reading), disabled, while the other has them enabled. If you own Trainz Plus already, even a non-PE TRS22 install will get upgraded to TRS22 PE. And since you have bought both, it won't matter which one you download from the MyTrainz - they will both show TRS22 PE. If you only owned TRS22 standard and nothing else, thats where you would notice the difference, but this is not the case for you. So for someone who owns neither and is trying to figure out which one to buy, it does make a difference which one you purchase.

I do not now own, nor have I ever owned, Trainz Plus. I have never knowingly installed Trainz22PE, although I may have followed the PE link unawares. To the best of my knowledge, I paid for Trainz22, although it is long enough ago (before Christmas) that I may have paid for Trainz22PE and forgotten. I also own Trainz 2004 and the Trainz 2009/Trainz 2010 two-pack, purchased on physical media. When I originally downloaded my purchase, I only remember seeing one link to a download page. What I downloaded was definitely Trainz22 (not PE) 117655, the last build for Win7. I went back and downloaded 123801 after realizing that I have Win10. I do not recall noticing a second link-to-download-page at that time either. Several days later, I was exploring my My Trainz pages and noticed the second link. When I first started 123801, I noticed that the graphic in the Launcher window was different, but assumed that this was just because I had a different build. It did not register that what I had was Trainz22PE until several days later, yesterday or today, when I had already started downloading what I then thought was an update to what I had (have) installed. While that download was in progress, I noticed the large PE at the top of the Launcher window, something that had not previously registered with me. I then compared the md5 checksums and discovered that the two pages have identical checksums. All indications that I can see tell me that while existing installations may well be different, the two are now identical for new downloads. The off-line installers are identical, according to my download pages, with the md5 checksum of 980768cda94f751849ddd020df3b1926. I invite you to investigate this further for yourself. I do not have enough information at this time to compare the on-line installers.

We would need someone who has never purchased TRS22 PE or Trainz+, but only TRS22 to confirm this. I still am inclined to believe you may have (possibly accidentally), bought TRS22 PE, and Trainz would then update the download links of both the non PE and PE to the highest version (TRS22 PE) for your account, which would explain why they are identical.

This time I agree with you 100%, save only that I`m thinking that N3V may have simply done that for everyone, as they seem (according to stuff I`ve read elsewhere in the forums) to have done similar changes in the past. Have you noticed that after your previous post I changed the thread title to have a question mark at the end?

I might guess that if you bought TRS22 recently and paid full price. N3V may have taken pity on you and given you TRS22 PE as a free upgrade. I base this on the fact that basically when the price of TRS22 Standard was dropped, most of the users that had purchased it for $70 received a coupon to purchase TRS22 PE at a discount. many software companies have such a policy when you buy the old version just before a new one comes out. Either that or someone screwed up and added the TRS22 PE ownership flag to your account by mistake and now that you have drawn attention to the error, they will take it away.:)

Oh, BTW. I have no problem running TRS22 PE and Trainz Plus under Windows 7. You just have to go to Microsoft and download the Xaudio2.dll file and place it in either the game directory or your windows/system directory.

I did purchase Trainz22 (or Trainz22PE) recently: just before Christmas. One reason I bought it then was because I had received (yet another) e-mail advertising a sale price, and this one had not already expired before I noticed it. Other than that, your ideas at least seem plausible.

As for your second post (which appeared while I was writing this), I do not have Win7; I had Win10 all along, I was merely uncertain which Windows version I had. All the same, the comment is interesting, on several levels.

I had trainz T.ANE auran version, TRS 2019 steam version.
I think auran version is better for me, because we don't need internet connection in every seconds like steam version.
For my eyes, TRS 2019 is better looking (maybe because we can use PBR).

And I receive an email about TRS 2022.
I am stand alone player, not a fan of multiplayer because slow internet connection. And no need HD ground. Surveyor 2.0 ? I don't know....
I prefer to create a route that is similar to the one in my place (buildings, track size, trains, etc. via google earth).

So, what difference between TRS 2022 and 2019 ? Are there big difference ?

I had trainz T.ANE auran version, TRS 2019 steam version.
I think auran version is better for me, because we don't need internet connection in every seconds like steam version.
For my eyes, TRS 2019 is better looking (maybe because we can use PBR).

And I receive an email about TRS 2022.
I am stand alone player, not a fan of multiplayer because slow internet connection. And no need HD ground. Surveyor 2.0 ? I don't know....
I prefer to create a route that is similar to the one in my place (buildings, track size, trains, etc. via google earth).

So, what difference between TRS 2022 and 2019 ? Are there big difference ?
TRS22 introduced faster and better program performance compared to TRS19.

You can continue to do what you do with Google Earth just the same. With TRS22 Platinum Edition and Plus, you get Surveyor 2.0. Surveyor 2.0 is the new surveyor and currently coexists with the old one we've grown to love and hate. Surveyor 2.0 allows for finer control over asset placement, group moving and adjusting, a smaller texture brush size, scrapbooks that hold assets ready for pasting on any route. These are very helpful for placing groups of trees, for example, and many more things. If you can't do something in Surveyor 2.0, you can always jump back to Classic Surveyor as it's called. If you don't want to use Surveyor 2.0, you don't need to and many of us jump between the two versions all the time but more and more many people are spending more time in Surveyor 2.0 and less time in Classic.

TRS22 has PBR textures just like TRS19 as well as a different kind of water applied in Surveyor 2.0. The new water is an effects layer and allows for water at different levels throughout a route which means you can have ponds at higher levels than rivers and different kinds of water surfaces such as rippling water for a lake and still quiet water for a small pond.

HD terrain is optional as well and like most things in Trainz, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's still new and there are some hardware limitations limiting the number of textures to 16 per baseboard. This isn't a TRS22 PE or Plus thing and is related to the hardware in all computers at this time.

There is no need for the Multiplayer or Multiplayer Surveyor if you don't want to use it. I tried it and even beta tested it. It's great if you have a group of people working on the same route project but like you, I also work solo and prefer to keep it that way.

Other people will post here with more to say than I did. Hopefully this gives you something to think about.

Good Afternoon MasterTracklayer
I did purchase Trainz22 (or Trainz22PE) recently: just before Christmas. One reason I bought it then was because I had received (yet another) e-mail advertising a sale price, and this one had not already expired before I noticed it. Other than that, your ideas at least seem plausible.

As for your second post (which appeared while I was writing this), I do not have Win7; I had Win10 all along, I was merely uncertain which Windows version I had. All the same, the comment is interesting, on several levels.

I can confirm that your order on the 22nd December was for the TRS22 Platinum Edition, and as such your account will have access to the TRS22 Platinum Edition. I can confirm that there is no difference in the installers for TRS22 and TRS22 Platinum, as the Platinum Edition features and content are automatically activated through your MyTrainz account (the additional content will need to be installed through the Content Store separately, so you can choose which content you install).

Regards

TRS22 introduced faster and better program performance compared to TRS19.

You can continue to do what you do with Google Earth just the same. With TRS22 Platinum Edition and Plus, you get Surveyor 2.0. Surveyor 2.0 is the new surveyor and currently coexists with the old one we've grown to love and hate. Surveyor 2.0 allows for finer control over asset placement, group moving and adjusting, a smaller texture brush size, scrapbooks that hold assets ready for pasting on any route. These are very helpful for placing groups of trees, for example, and many more things. If you can't do something in Surveyor 2.0, you can always jump back to Classic Surveyor as it's called. If you don't want to use Surveyor 2.0, you don't need to and many of us jump between the two versions all the time but more and more many people are spending more time in Surveyor 2.0 and less time in Classic.

TRS22 has PBR textures just like TRS19 as well as a different kind of water applied in Surveyor 2.0. The new water is an effects layer and allows for water at different levels throughout a route which means you can have ponds at higher levels than rivers and different kinds of water surfaces such as rippling water for a lake and still quiet water for a small pond.

HD terrain is optional as well and like most things in Trainz, you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's still new and there are some hardware limitations limiting the number of textures to 16 per baseboard. This isn't a TRS22 PE or Plus thing and is related to the hardware in all computers at this time.

There is no need for the Multiplayer or Multiplayer Surveyor if you don't want to use it. I tried it and even beta tested it. It's great if you have a group of people working on the same route project but like you, I also work solo and prefer to keep it that way.

Other people will post here with more to say than I did. Hopefully this gives you something to think about.
I caught the point :
- TRS 2022 is faster and better performance compared to TRS 2019.
- Surveyor 2.0 had finer control, smaller brush size, group copy and paste, better surface of water ...

Sometime I need to create very small drainage, eg 1-2 meters width at side of track. At TRS 2019, there's minimum circle range which is 10 meters to heigt down ...

The 1 to 2 meters only works in HD Terrain but you can easily convert a 10-meter grid route to 5 meters all at once. I just did that and it beat the old way of selecting one baseboard at a time. The rest though is spot on.

The 1 to 2 meters only works in HD Terrain but you can easily convert a 10-meter grid route to 5 meters all at once. I just did that and it beat the old way of selecting one baseboard at a time. The rest though is spot on.
Okay, thanks for your info for my consideration to buy TRS 2022, INCLUDE HD terrain ....

Back