Trainz vs. MSTS vs. Railworks Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think a post is breaking the CoC, then report it.
I'd rather not report anythg since I wasn't offended myself.

Also, I, generally have not read the CoC all the way through.

By the way, I'm basing my views on this thread http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=66253&highlight=railworks

Which Started off well until http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=714652&postcount=13

Then everything decended into flaming. Until http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=722881&postcount=91.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody.
I read anti-Trainz bias into all the supposedly unbiased comparisons. Considering that this forunm is provided by Auran for Trainz discussions
Peter

Peter please could you quote where you think I have been biased in the review I posted on this thread. The review was based on my own experience of Railworks which is a popular rail simulator here in the United Kingdom and therefore the positive and negative points of that and Trainz should be debated.

it has long been said that necessity is the mother of invention. Therefore, if necessary improvements are to be brought to the knowledge of the Auran staff it may well only come about through reasoned debate and questioning of whether a competitors product has features that could be incorporated into Trainz, or whether the current 2010 product is superior and therefore best retained as it is.

I for one thank Auran/NV3 for allowing us to have such debates which I feel are not only good for the Trainz users, but also beneficial to the Auran management by way of gaining information from the users of their competitors products.

That is why I tried to bring the thread back on topic and away from the freedom of speech argument and flaming of some forum members that has been going on in this thread.

Bill

Bill, I don't think Peter was directly meaning your post, I think he meant it as a general meaning. Most of the time these threads are started by people to cause trouble on the boards.

Nathan

Hi Everybody.
Bill, I don't think Peter was directly meaning your post, I think he meant it as a general meaning. Most of the time these threads are started by people to cause trouble on the boards.

Nathan

Thanks Nathan for pointing that out. I did not in any way mean to appear disrespectful to Peter in my post and if it came across that way can I apologize to him in advance for not wording the paragraph conserned correctly. Anyway being Australian he's probably in bed right now as all good colonials are.:D

what I was trying to do was to open up the debate on the comparisons between the simulators in an informed and realistic manner which would be to the betterment of everyone and perhaps bring about an improved simulator in the future.

Bill
:)

That´s because MSTS is a real Train Simulator, not a Train Scale Simulator. What I just have to say about Trainz is, that this game is the best in creating scenarios due to the easy manage of the surveyor. You can get very realistics shots when you get used to this tool. But to the fact of driving and or ilumination in train while driving, has nothing to do with MSTS. I have formatted my computer, that´s one of the reasons why I can´t demonstrate what I´m saying. But be sure, that ASAP I will do it.

I see you have told a few porkies here.

The Russian trainz community has made some realistic scripts for trainz locomotives. Look here:

Cab illumination and radio communication:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBq_r_B-7NY
A "rough ride":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GODb6dX2tt8&feature=related
Detailed environment and interior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDLxKiD6hP8&feature=related
Detailed cab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHcvAvWg1cI&feature=related

Last edited:
Just about says it all really, toys for little boys.

The "Fisher Price HUD" wins over realism.

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=314&t=112805&p=1384386#p1384320

IKB.
The RailWorks2 HUD is one of the reasons I use Railworks more than Trainz. Besides it doesn't jerk and hiccup like Trainz. EK3 was great but Trainz doesn't run it very well. Too bad and I have a fairly hi-end system.

Trainz needs a new engine, I mean those One Rail guys did it for MSTS

Hi everybody.
Just about says it all really, toys for little boys.The "Fisher Price HUD" wins over realism.
IKB.

Isambard, I do use the “Fisher Price HUD in Railworks as find it gives good control of locomotives especially the class 101 DMU where you actually have to change the gears. I do agree that the HUD could be made more realistic but it's is somewhat better than using the keyboard. On the other hand you can actually use the controls in-built with the simulator if you are skillful enough to use those artificial hands they provide.

Trainz needs A new engine, I mean those One Rail guys did it for MSTS

Hminky, I think you must be referring to open rails in what you state in your posting. However, open rails is still very much in the development stage with only a very early Beta version available for download which I found completely useless.

Should the group of people developing the simulator be successful then it could turn the whole rail simulator picture on its head as all MSTS content will be able to be used in open rails without any change whatsoever. Having said that, they have been working on the project for well over 18 months now and whether it will ever he finished is very debatable.

My hunch is that it will not, but I hope I am wrong

Bill

Can't wait for this latest RW orientated thread to run out of steam and guess when the next thread raises the groundhog day routine yet again. Recently we actually had 2 running at the same time and this must be at least the fourth of fifth reincarnation. How often do we need to go over u a narrow area as between sims??

What? No Doppler effect???? That's it, I'm dumping Trainz and switching to PacMan right now...........

If the only basic fault you can find with Trainz is that it lacks Doppler effect,
I think that says it all!

I'm doing two things at once right now, reading this thread and watching my laptop being defragmented. It's difficult to decide which is the more interesting......

Mick Berg.

Last edited:
The RailWorks2 HUD is one of the reasons I use Railworks more than Trainz. Besides it doesn't jerk and hiccup like Trainz. EK3 was great but Trainz doesn't run it very well. Too bad and I have a fairly hi-end system.

Trainz needs a new engine, I mean those One Rail guys did it for MSTS

Opposite for me, RW jerks and stutters, but TS2010 is smooth.

Both are run ( RW not installed at moment ), at max settings on a 23"WS monitor @ 1920x1080.

IKB.

Bill i use the mouse for driving in cab mode on all three games.

To me that new HUD is the epitome of what RW is all about.

Toy train controls, to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I have MSTS also installed along with TS2010.

I prefer to run that when not running Trainz, regardless of the money i have spent on RS, RW & RW2. I don't even feel the need to re-install it. ;)

IKB.

i'm back for today only. i come back to see three pages of fighting, flaming, and other things not positive. What's wrong with you guys? do you want the community to stay like this? because by far this is the worst (thats right, the worst) gaming community i have ever been in. get a grip and grow up for god's sake.

-AJ

Hi Everybody.
i'm back for today only. i come back to see three pages of fighting, flaming, and other things not positive. What's wrong with you guys? do you want the community to stay like this? because by far this is the worst (thats right, the worst) gaming community i have ever been in. get a grip and grow up for god's sake.

-AJ

AJ, some of us have worked hard in the second half of the last page and on this one to bring the topic back on the thread. Therefore, I am sure many of us would be deeply appreciative if you commented on the topic rather than taking it back to the flaming that was going on.

With thanks
Bill
NB:- now perhaps we can get back to the topic and disregard the attempt to move it backwards

Trainz, definately Trainz

G'day! :wave:

Trainz is the only rail simulator for me. Even though it can be a pain, it's still great fun to use, Surveyor is plain and simple to use. Most of the freeware content is high detailed. Trainz is by far the best! :D

Cheers! :)

Jake.

i'm back for today only. i come back to see three pages offighting, flaming, and other things not positive. What's wrong with you guys? do you want the community to stay like this? because by far this is the worst (thats right, the worst) gaming community i have ever been in. get a grip and grow up for god's sake.

-AJ

Thanks for your mature contribution.

Last edited:
Well add a comment here I guess....

pros and cons

trainz con/pro kuids ugh great idea if ya know what your doin either ways say ya get a very large collection and would like to uhmmm ****** (reskin,customize,fixing flags,wreack havoc on forums) allow the content to fit your needs of taste and operations.......
That can and is very time consuming no matter which way ya look at it....

MSTS short and sweet after ya basically fix all the problems with 3rd party add ons etc (figure out how to use for one) its a drop in the bucket but very limited from theyre as in the car is loaded or not., right?

Trainz pro you have more control over AI trainz period adding more engineers and operating any train in progress at anytime....

MSTS one engineer and AI are unpredictable last time I taunted with it......

RAILSIM hav e no idea heard it was great if ya can afford it...........

Dave =)

I would have to say i played trainz and i hated it just to download stuff you have to find all that stuff and the trainz download thing forget that. RW is the better sim just becuse it looks better and the guys at RSC care about there customers and they want to know how to make the game better and better..And when its only a matter of time before this game takes of like MSTS Did back in the day. So go head and play with ur little HO Train Sim

"the guys at RSC care about their customers" They don't care about ME or what I want. :n: All I want is AI traffic that's at LEAST as intelligent, versatile, and easy to set up as MSTS. The AI traffic in MSTS has a lot of flaws and is nowhere near as good as the Trainz AI traffic, but at least it's workable, Railworks AI traffic is hopeless. If RSC gave a rat's ass what I wanted I wouldn't even be here, I would have stayed with Railworks and never would have even tried Trainz.

I would have to say i played trainz and i hated it just to download stuff you have to find all that stuff and the trainz download thing forget that. RW is the better sim just becuse it looks better and the guys at RSC care about there customers and they want to know how to make the game better and better..And when its only a matter of time before this game takes of like MSTS Did back in the day. So go head and play with ur little HO Train Sim

Wow, do they pay you to post nonsense in their competitors forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back