Trainz vs. MSTS vs. Railworks Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That´s because MSTS is a real Train Simulator, not a Train Scale Simulator......

I really don't understand this statement. True, a new route can be set up as a model becuase that's the way that Trainz started out, but what's the point. New routes can be set up in real world units also. Does it really matter? What's scale got to do with simulation? It has everything to do with visual perception.

Mike

well personally if you want real world operation MSTS is the way to go. I say that because in MSTS you have one thing that trainz doesnt have: radio communication. You have a dispatcher for mileposts, you can request permission to pass a signal, etc.

in trainz its virtually a model railroad because you dont have communication at all.

But like i said, everyone has their favorite

-AJ

That´s because MSTS is a real Train Simulator, not a Train Scale Simulator. What I just have to say about Trainz is, that this game is the best in creating scenarios due to the easy manage of the surveyor. You can get very realistics shots when you get used to this tool. But to the fact of driving and or ilumination in train while driving, has nothing to do with MSTS. I have formatted my computer, that´s one of the reasons why I can´t demonstrate what I´m saying. But be sure, that ASAP I will do it.

In my opinion, this is the explication of what I think from the 3 main "simulators"

MSTS: Realistic operation and driving, difficult to get used to the surveyor tool, but once you have done it, game is yours.

Trainz: Realistic scenario creation, easy to lay down track, lack in simulation.

Railworks: Someone said here it has one of the best graphic motors at the moment in rail simulation, that´s all.

How about we look at Trainz beyond the trains and railways. Trainz is more than just a train simulator, it is a world simulator. You do not have to build just a railway in Surveyor, you can build a subdivision with houses and roads in Surveyor, maybe even modelling your own. Playing with building subdivisions (with street signs!) is something that I did when playing the Trainz Demos years ago, before I bought UTC. You do not have to build only the part of the town or city that is near the rails--go and build the whole thing, and explore it. The possibilities are endless. ;) :D :cool:

Personally, I feel that a thread like this--due to the conflicting opinions, with people puffing up their own favorites over all of the others, etc.--is bad. It could just turn in to a ton of arguing and conflicting interest. So if an admin closes this thread, then I will not be sad to see it go. ;)

Regards.

well personally if you want real world operation MSTS is the way to go. I say that because in MSTS you have one thing that trainz doesnt have: radio communication. You have a dispatcher for mileposts, you can request permission to pass a signal, etc.

in trainz its virtually a model railroad because you dont have communication at all.

-AJ

I do not need the radio communication. The rest of it is waaay more than is needed to make up for no radio control or anything. Besides, if you want, then you could suggest that feature for the next version of Trainz in the Suggestions Boxcar forum. Can you do that with the others?

Again, this thread should probably be closed (see above for my reasoning).

Regards.

-AJ

AJ
I can't talk intelligently about MSTS since I don't have it, but I have to disagree about the communation point. At one time, I had a model railroad large enough that it did require communication. It required a dispatcher that sat at a CTC panel that I had constructed (including the electronics boards) and he/she had to communicate with each train via radio since the dispatcher was physically remote from the train room. I also wrote a Basic program that generated train and car assignments along with destinations, cut-outs and drop-offs. So, I'm not sure where the model railroad comparison comes from.

I strongly agree with you on the point that everyone has their favorite and that's a good thing. If everyone liked exactly the same thing, it would indeed be a boring world.

Be well
Mike

Like i said i wasnt trying to cause trouble and as i mentioned in the comparison trainz also has cars, boats, planes, so virtually it is a world simulator. And its not me who starts the fights its the people that post. Sheesh, feels like nothing is free of speech anymore :/

-AJ

AJ
I think that you took my comment wrong. I wasn't upset with you. I was just trying to understand where you and others are coming from on the model thing. All platforms are in fact virtual models. The operation on the various platforms may be very different, but they're all models. If you think that I was upset with you, I apologize, because that certainly wasn't my intent.

Mike

To be honest, he asked a fair question, I think the people who make trouble are the ones who just flame other people for just asking a fair querstion.

To be honest, in its own right, it is a fair question, to be honest, take this thread for an example, is he the problem for asking a question in the TRAINZ COMMUNITY about comparing trainz simualtor with other simualtors, yes it is trainz, but it's to do with the community its self, to be honest, it does seem obvious that the trainz community would like trainz, but really who are the people who create trouble?

IMO, it's the people who flame who cause the trouble.

To be honest these threads never end well. It's troublesome and pointless to ask the question. To be honest it serves no purpose and promotes flaming because there is no right or wrong answer, no conclusive facts where persons are so convinced of their own opinions that they could not be swayed by a hard drive full of statistics. You may as well post "Ford or Chevy or Dodge? Here's what I think." It's like throwing a cat over the fence at a dog pound. There's no point to it except to cause trouble.

To be honest the OP stated his opinions, now others are stating theirs and no one has been flamed yet. Carry on, I'll be looking for the padlock sometime this week.:D

1. my name isn't OP it's AJ.

2. Why does everyone think i started this to cause trouble? is there a no freedom of speech rule on the internet now?!

3. all of u obviously didnt read the 2nd line at the start of the thread which read, if your going to go into a this is a trainz only forum then don't read this ok?

ugh, i might have to take a temporary leave from trianz. this is ridiculous

-AJ

1. my name isn't OP it's AJ.

"OP" stands for something like "Opening Poster" or "Original Poster", and he also said "the OP", so he was not calling you by your name. ;)

2. Why does everyone think i started this to cause trouble? is there a no freedom of speech rule on the internet now?!

I do not think that you are trying to cause trouble. It is just that this kind of thread could cause trouble (just like a thread on politics, etc. could). So, do not take it personally. I am talking about the kind of thread that this is, not you.

3. all of u obviously didnt read the 2nd line at the start of the thread which read, if your going to go into a this is a trainz only forum then don't read this ok?

ugh, i might have to take a temporary leave from trianz. this is ridiculous

-AJ

I did not say anything about this thread needing to be closed because of the "Trainz-only" whatever. The same would apply on many forums. Conflicts of interest, conflicting opinions, etc. could cause dissention, so threads like this are probably to be avoided for that reason, not because of any "Trainz-only" thing.

Regards.

Last edited:
oh not another one of these threads...

Gets the popcorn machine cooking sits down with a cool drink watching this thread laughing at people spewing all over there keyboards with words of hate and anger.
Keep going guys this is good entertainment.

Last edited:
I have watched this thread droan on and on for three pages now and it is just like all the others which are in the same mould. Right from the start the starter indicated the type of opinions he wanted which kind of defeats the purpose of the the right of of opinion! Why oh why do we keep getting these threads about which is best? When one closes or is shut down another springs up trying to cloak in a different garb so how many times must this morph and morph and morph? It is becoming like Doctor Who and yet another new Time Lord.

You would think that after some long threads we could move on bugt it is the same thing over and over. You can only flog a dead horse for so long and it is a mess. As we have gone over this thing so many times I do honestly and no offence to anyone wish this would ge a decent burial.If you hear a noise it is a long groan......!

To be honest these threads never end well. It's troublesome and pointless to ask the question. To be honest it serves no purpose and promotes flaming because there is no right or wrong answer, no conclusive facts where persons are so convinced of their own opinions that they could not be swayed by a hard drive full of statistics. You may as well post "Ford or Chevy or Dodge? Here's what I think." It's like throwing a cat over the fence at a dog pound. There's no point to it except to cause trouble.

To be honest the OP stated his opinions, now others are stating theirs and no one has been flamed yet. Carry on, I'll be looking for the padlock sometime this week.:D
Well yeah, but shouldn't people have a right to their opinion?

Not everyone has to be flamed by just saying their opinion by people who have become conceated.

I mean to be honest, in my opinion, if the flaming goes on, then people would be too scared to ask a question like this because of people who flame.

To be honest, it's sad...:(

Last edited:
Hi Everybody.
I agree that this thread just seems to drone on with the topic now changed to freedom of speech and flaming. In an attempt to bring the topic back on thread I will re-post what I consider to be a unbiased review of Railworks as compared to Trainz. Perhaps members could then comment on the review rather than one another which undoubtedly if continued will bring about the closure of the thread (if that is not already in the process of being done).

Here is the review as posted approximately 2 weeks ago and at that time seemed to bring about little comment.

Approximately 4 weeks before Christmas (2010) I purchased Railworks 2. At that time I mentioned it on the forum and was asked by several members if I would do an unbiased review of my experiences with Railworks as compared to Trainz. Well, after nearly 6 weeks of using Railworks here is that review.

Purchase, installation and add-ons.
I purchased both Railworks 2 and at the same time the Bristol to Exeter add on Route by download. Both installed automatically and without any problems. The basic simulator plus the add-on where up and running within 30 minutes from the start of the download. The operation is handled through steam who take care of all rail simulator customer downloads. Without doubt the installation time is far less than that needed for Trainz and many may consider it to be far less hazardous and error-free than the direct Auran/NV3 download system used at present (although Trainz can be purchased through steam I have no experience of this at present).

All patching of Railworks and any add-ons purchased through rail simulator is done automatically as the patches become available. As any computer which has Railworks installed on it is always connected to steam on start-up, the patching can take place even when Railworks is not being used. Some users may find this rather disconcerting or even concerning when pop-ups appear informing you of Railworks patching even though you may be using your system for other things at that time.

Content Availability Both Free and Payware.
Railworks on purchase comes with a number of preinstalled routes and a very limited number of engines and rolling stock. As compared to Trainz many may consider that it would have inadequate usability and realism without further content being added. Freeware content is available from a number of sites in the form of routes, scenery and rolling stock. However, when direct comparisons are made to Trainz, freeware availability would seem limited and the range far less than required by many users.

Payware by contrast is readily available through a number of well-known commercial content sites and there is also a comparatively small number of Railworks “enthusiasts “ who offer content for purchase through a number of avenues. Almost all of the larger commercial producers offer their content as downloadable through the steam system which is then automatically installed into Railworks with the buyer having to take no action whatsoever. By contrast assets acquired through the small private content creators usually have to be installed manually which can be a somewhat cumbersome process which can easily produce errors.

Since initially buying Railworks 2 and the Bristol to Exeter add-on (total costs £50 British sterling) I have also purchased the following content:- Dmu class 101, Dmu Class 170, Dmu class 158, Dmu Class 220 Voyager, Br standard 4MT locomotive, Br Fowler 4f locomotive and the Falmouth branch line.

With the exception of the Falmouth branch line I would consider the above the minimum necessary to make many British scenarios in Railworks realistic. My total cost including purchase of the simulator is approximately £120. The foregoing may well be a factor many potential owners of Railworks would wish to take into consideration before purchase.

Realism and Usability.
Initially on first using Railworks the colours while running scenarios seemed rather drab as compared to Trainz. However, after adjusting my monitor several times I eventually achieved a very good colour balance which made the simulator very true to life. The scenario driving experience of Railworks I have found exceptional. The graphics are of photographic quality which makes the driving very immersive and a somewhat addictive activity. I am sure many would find the foregoing by far the simulator's greatest asset. However, as with any computer simulator activity a high-end system is very necessary to achieve the above results.

Route, scenarios and Content Creation.
Approximately 3 weeks ago I decided to try some route creation with Railworks. I looked to build a small route based on the three and a half mile rail line that did exist between Yatton and Clevedon in North Somerset Great Britain. Using the world editor in Railworks is a completely different to anything users may experience with Trainz. Without being biased in any way I feel confident in saying that the Railworks world editor is not in any way in the same ballpark with regard to usability as this simulator.

I believe I am a person with at least average intelligence and patience but after three weeks and many hours of reading numerous tutorials and watching endless videos on YouTube with regard to route creation I have yet to achieve anything meaningful with the Railworks world editor. Alongside the foregoing is the simple fact that Trainz has never crashed my computer in the 15 months I have had this system. However, Railworks world editor has succeeded in doing that any number of times in the last three weeks. I do not believe that this is in any way connected to the setup of my system as it is used for many various functions including the use of speech to text software which is far more demanding than any simulation and yet it has never faltered in any way in that activity or when using Trainz.

Users also have to get to grips with Railworks world editor for scenario creation but in a much more limited context. I have found this experience much improved and usable than trying to create actual routes. Scenarios are straightforward and quick to create with the high-speed running of the scenarios possible through the map before fully running your conception. However, it has to be remembered that A1 consists are really only mobile scenery in Railworks as you cannot move from consist to consist as you can in Trainz. Neither can you ride as a passenger in any A1 consist carriage as this is only possible in the player train (that being the one you are driving) and then you quickly lose any knowledge of your position on the map. Therefore you have to return quickly to the cab view and take over the controls if an accident is to be avoided.

Forum Support.
The only forum I have used with regard to Railworks would be the UK Trainsim forum and that has only been in the last two weeks while requesting assistance with the world editor. Contrary to information I had received with regard to it being a very intimidating place I found the people there to be very helpful and polite in posting assistance to my problems. However, the forum has a much lower activity rate than this one with a much greater activity seemingly being posted on Facebook and Twitter. However, I have to say I have not become involved with that.

If you have read this far without falling asleep, I hope you have enjoyed the review

Bill​

I say that because in MSTS you have one thing that trainz doesnt have: radio communication. You have a dispatcher for mileposts
And where is this communication? I've seen only sad messages with texts of the same font.

Why does this thread exist? Are some people trying to wean us from Trainz onto another program.

I read anti-Trainz bias into all the supposedly unbiased comparisons. Considering that this forunm is provided by Auran for Trainz discussions, threads such as this one are unnecessary and quite out of place.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back