Trainz vs. MSTS vs. Railworks Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukeeroad261

STL Railfan
I've been thinking (and seeing all of the "railworks" threads) of doing a comparison of the three dominant simulators currently on the market.

(P.S. - If your going to go into a "this is a trainz only forum" vibe or a "this only starts fights" fit then dont read this thread, ok? It's that simple)

So lets start the comparrison shall we?

first off, trainz

TRAINZ RAILROAD SIMULATOR

As most of us probably remember, the original trainz sort of started the original vibe for the trainz saga. It was followed up by Trainz Ultimate Collection, TRS2004, TRS2006, Trainz Classics, TS2009 and TS2010.

Pros:

As for trainz, the benefits of it are basically having a virtual model railroad. you have turntables, interactive industries, great graphics, etc. Also there is some great content to choose from, not just limiting you to trains only. There are cars, boats, and even planes! It also has a wide variety of 3rd party narrow guage content in 2', 30", and 3' Its also easy to create routes and content and import it to trainz via Content Manager Plus. There are plenty of payware items worth buying as well. There are also plenty of in-driver features such as switching junctions, driver commands, control signals, etc.

Cons:

Even though trainz has all of these features there are some problems. Depending on how good your PC is, it might not be able to handle trainz. Also the content manager also has bugs from time to time. There also is no doppler effect, and the main download station to find content for trainz is limited to the newest version of trainz. Anything lower than Trainz Classics, you have to have a first class ticket availible.

Overall:

Trainz is good if all you want is a virtual model railroad or if you just want some fun on narrow guage lines and simulate real railroading with driver commands and other features.

Next up is MSTS

Microsoft Train Simulator

Microsoft Train Simulator is considerably the grandfather of all of the great train simulators. Released way back in 2001, MSTS has survived and thrived to the present year of 2011

Pros:

Unlike Trainz, MSTS has the doppler effect. But also, when i meant survive and thrive, MSTS has a massive selection of add-ons via one site: http://train-sim.com/ This site holds pretty much anything you want for MSTS. There are also some excellent third party content that is freeware. For example, http://3dtrains.com/ has something called scalerail. what it is is some of the most realistic track that I have ever seen in a train simulator. period. The payware stock is very impressive. Also some of the routes include their own rolling stock, but its mostly payware routes that do this. However, it is well worth the money. For example, 3dtrainstuff's donner pass is set in the transition era of the southern pacific in donner pass. it includes a selection of cab forwards, consolidations, and diesels that come with the route and it is incredible for a route and well worth the money ($40.00). Also another route has pushed MSTS to it's limit and is incredible. The PRR Eastern Region for MSTS is a freeware route which includes the northeast corridor, Altoona to Pittsburgh, CNJ trackage, the strasburg railroad, and others. Overall its over 4,000 miles of track and there is no gaps in scenery. that's right, none. Also in MSTS, you have the advantage of radio communication. Dispatchers at mileposts, request permission to pass signals, permission to proceed from stations, and other orders

Cons:

In spite of all of that, you have to remember that MSTS was made all the way back in 2001. So not all of the bugs have been ironed out and sometimes it won't work on modern computers very well. The common sounds tabs such as whenever you sound the whistle theres a small white tab that says "whistle (on)" and with other sound tabs. This can get annoying at times. What shows its age is the track texturing, some other texturing, and other things. The route builder and Activity editor for MSTS are a pain and sometimes dont work. However to make consists there are other 3rd Party options like Route_Riter or ConBuilder. Whatever floats your boat. There was supposed to be a sequel to MSTS known as Microsoft Train Simulator 2 but due to the closure of the ACES studio, the project has been put on standby as of 2008.

Overall:

In spite of it's age, MSTS will always be one of the best simulators ever released. There is a small development team known as Open Rails that is working on another simulator of the same name that will use MSTS content. It will feature multiplayer, better graphics, and some other feautures that MSTS doesn't use. their site is here if you would like to become a beta tester or programmer (it's free, don't worry) http://openrails.org/

and finally, the new kid in town: Railworks

Railworks

Released by EA in 2008, Railworks is the most advanced train simulator to date.

Pros:

Railworks has one of the best graphic engines in a rail simulator. It has excellent lighting details and a very simple route editor. The add-ons for railworks are equally as impressive. A majority of the add-ons can be found on the railworks site, or if your looking for other add-ons then you can look on http://gtrax.com/, http://railworksamerica.com/, http://dickyjim.com/, or http://3dtrains.com/ which also has their scalerail availible for railworks. It looks equally amazing as the version for train simulator.

Cons:

Well I bet your thinking this is the top gun of the train simulators and your ready to go out and buy it or download it. However, you better have a pretty huge piggy bank. About 75-80% of the add-ons for railworks are payware. And all together they cost almost $1,000 dollars. that doesnt even include the simulator itself! Also most of the default stock included with the railworks simulator is british (good news for you british modelers) and the american stock is the payware.

Overall:

In spite of being mostly payware, Railworks is good if your looking for excellent quality in a train simulator or if your looking for the newest thing on the market.

So finally its come down to this

We have three excellent simulators here. Each one with their pros and cons. So which one is better?

The answer to that is, it's up to you. Just because a train simulator has the highest quality, or the most rolling stock, or just plain fun doesnt mean that its the best of these three. However, if one way is how you like it and that one way is in only one of these simulators then that one is the one that is best suited for you.

I have all of these simulators and these are the pros and cons from my perspective. If you think I missed something in a pro or con in any of these three leave a comment OR if you have your own personal opinion, feel free to leave a comment.

-AJ

Last edited:
Trainz forever

I think to be honest, I would choose trainz all the way, trainz has something that these simulators don't.

A scriptable session which a non-programmer can use to opperate signals, level crossings and anything else.

You can also add driver commands while you're going, so the fun never ends.:D

I like Trainz because it is fun, and easy to use. MSTS is second, by far, because it isn't anywhere near as fun as Trainz, and I just despise RW plain and simple.

OK trainzers, time to see who's really loyal to this simulator and who isn't. -AJ

The last type of challenge we need on these forums. Where do you guys come from? Is there a course for starting troublesome threads somewhere?

As for trainz, the benefits of it are basically having a virtual model railroad. -AJ

Right. You can't possibly use Trainz to simulate a prototypical railroad, only a model railroad.:eek:

the main download station to find content for trainz is limited to the newest version of trainz. Anything lower than TS2009 you have to have a first class ticket availible. The custom routes and trains are limited: for now. -AJ

I have been informed by an Auran employee that TC1&2 and TC3 are supported as well. Custom routes and trains are plentiful, not limited.

Trainz is good if all you want is a virtual model railroad or if you just want some fun on narrow guage lines.-AJ

Back to the model railroad claims...

If you think I missed something in a pro or con in any of these three leave a comment OR if you have your own personal opinion, feel free to leave a comment.-AJ

Comments left.

... and the main download station to find content for trainz is limited to the newest version of trainz. Anything lower than TS2009 you have to have a first class ticket availible. The custom routes and trains are limited: for now.

So, you like to contradict yourself then? You say the Download Station is limited to the newest versions (which as Euphod above has already said is wrong), you then say you can access the DLS with an FCT if you don't have these newer version. Quite a contradiction there :confused:

You also missed out a huge factor in the Pro section for Trainz. The Surveyor mode, it is hands down much easier to use than the other simulators.

Also, as for saying that Custom Routes and Trains are limited, have YOU actually looked on the DLS??

@Euphod and Napalm:

1. yes model railroading is a simulation of real railroading so it can be done, however it has DCC and Cabview so thats where the model railroad comes into play.

2. This is a Comparison so why i say its limited: for now im comparing it to other simulators like MSTS which has pretty much any (i use that term loosely) railroad subdivision and/or engine availible for public download. Some of the content on the DLS is just reskins and/or swapping bogeys, therefore its not an original CUSTOM model

3. I'm not trying to cause trouble im jut expressing my thoughts which is why i say leave comments if you have your own opinions (thanks for leaving them by the way)

have a nice day
-AJ

2. This is a Comparison so why i say its limited: for now im comparing it to other simulators like MSTS which has pretty much any (i use that term loosely) railroad subdivision and/or engine availible for public download. Some of the content on the DLS is just reskins and/or swapping bogeys, therefore its not an original CUSTOM model

If this is a comparison you should include and compare all features, not little snippets. As for "some" of the content being reskins there is still alot of "original" content on there.

@ Napalm

this is from my view of the simulators because every computer is different. Not everything works on all computers. But, even though there are little snippets there is good content on the DLS. unfortunately i enjoy TRS2006 and im not exactly the one with a good sized paypal piggy bank so, but that's my opinion which is why i said Leave Comments if you have an opinion (thanks for the comments by the way)

-AJ

Originally Posted by Milwaukeeroad261

So any car owner who gives their car a fancy paint job (reskinning), or swaps the factory wheels out for a set of nice fancy alloys, doesn't have a "Custom" car ?
The term "custom", means anything altered from the supplied configuration, that means anything that has been altered in any way, shape or form & it also includes Trainz models.

The last type of challenge we need on these forums. Where do you guys come from? Is there a course for starting troublesome threads somewhere?
To be honest, he asked a fair question, I think the people who make trouble are the ones who just flame other people for just asking a fair querstion.

To be honest, in its own right, it is a fair question, to be honest, take this thread for an example, is he the problem for asking a question in the TRAINZ COMMUNITY about comparing trainz simualtor with other simualtors, yes it is trainz, but it's to do with the community its self, to be honest, it does seem obvious that the trainz community would like trainz, but really who are the people who create trouble?

IMO, it's the people who flame who cause the trouble.

This question has been asked so many times over the last few years, it does get rather repetitive, though, don't you think guys ?

I see he has started this thread on a Saturday, by Monday, the mods would have locked it, ya wanna bet 5 bucks?? :hehe:

I'm not quite sure what the young man means in his first few sentences, he is trying to compare 3 totally different simulators, but, only posting the question on one forum, so, the other 2 forum communities, who actually play those games, don't get to see it to give an answer, so, the only folks likely to see the question are the nomads, like me, who access every forum, then he says -

"OK trainzers, time to see who's really loyal to this simulator and who isn't"

Pardon the pedanticism, but, just because some of us have purchased all 3 Simulators, one doesn't have to show one's allegiance to 1 specific game if they are rewarded with quite a lot of enjoyment from each one in different ways.
I'm not loyal to any one of my hobbies specifically, I move around and spend my money on content I want to play with at a time I want to play with it.

Anyway, watcha gonna do if I show any disloyalty, beat me up.....:hehe:

Off to play on my Flight Simulator now, toodle loo.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody.
I think the arguments between the various simulators have been rehearsed well enough on this forum many more times than the more seasoned forum members would care to count. However, there is one thing that no other rail simulator can do as directly compared to Trainz.

The above would be the ability to ride in the carriage of an A1 consist as a passenger over its entire route. I have just done that this evening on my North Devon route. Riding in a Mark one first-class restaurant car, with a nice glass of red wine, and iTunes also playing in the earphones being hauled by a class 40 diesel locomotive.

What could be better at the end of the week? Neither Railworks or MSTS have anything like the ability to come anywhere near it in terms of pleasure as far as I am concerned. It rolls back the years to a time when rail travel was something to be enjoyed in terms of space and comfort in the carriages (even if you traveled standard class).

Only Trainz has the ability to re-create that. It might be just a personal thing to me, but try it, I think you will very much like it. (Don't forget to have a real glass of wine, it makes all the difference)

Bill:D

Hi Everybody.
Riding in a Mark one first-class restaurant car, with a nice glass of red wine...

...Don't forget to have a real glass of wine, it makes all the difference

Bill:D

Today I have been riding in a few ancient MK1 carriages at the ELR steam gala - I could have done with, nay, needed having many glasses of red wine!

Rob.

The only way to determine which simulator is the best is try them all. They all have fervent followers so the choir's opinion is moot.

MSTS is trying to be modernized by Open Rails so nothing stays the same.

You will find one that fits your needs just look.

Harold

Who says that any of the three even resemble anything that comes close being considered a “simulator” to begin with?

I like Trainz because it is fun, and easy to use. MSTS is second, by far, because it isn't anywhere near as fun as Trainz, and I just despise RW plain and simple.

That´s because MSTS is a real Train Simulator, not a Train Scale Simulator. What I just have to say about Trainz is, that this game is the best in creating scenarios due to the easy manage of the surveyor. You can get very realistics shots when you get used to this tool. But to the fact of driving and or ilumination in train while driving, has nothing to do with MSTS. I have formatted my computer, that´s one of the reasons why I can´t demonstrate what I´m saying. But be sure, that ASAP I will do it.

In my opinion, this is the explication of what I think from the 3 main "simulators"

MSTS: Realistic operation and driving, difficult to get used to the surveyor tool, but once you have done it, game is yours.

Trainz: Realistic scenario creation, easy to lay down track, lack in simulation.

Railworks: Someone said here it has one of the best graphic motors at the moment in rail simulation, that´s all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back