Trainz Plus Packaged Content

RidderDansk

I am grateful for the many Content Creators creating and submitting beautiful content and offering that content both for Free and For Sale, which I am willing to invest in where appropriate. But what I am questioning is, why can't I modify all of this content once I purchase it?

While I can understand that there may be unscrupulous individuals who would take advantage of someone else's hard work and claim it as their own and resubmit it, there needs to be some way for honest members of the Trainz Community to customize purchased content, don't you think?

I am a Trainz Plus Gold Member, and I just downloaded the Pro Train: Elk Canyon (kuid:935657:550) route, which is absolutely beautiful, and LOCKED. Shouldn't I be able to modify this? I have been a Trainz user since 2009, solely because of the editability that N3V has allowed me to be. Is that changing? Or am I missing something?

I am grateful for the many Content Creators creating and submitting beautiful content and offering that content both for Free and For Sale, which I am willing to invest in where appropriate. But what I am questioning is, why can't I modify all of this content once I purchase it?

While I can understand that there may be unscrupulous individuals who would take advantage of someone else's hard work and claim it as their own and resubmit it, there needs to be some way for honest members of the Trainz Community to customize purchased content, don't you think?

I am a Trainz Plus Gold Member, and I just downloaded the Pro Train: Elk Canyon (kuid:935657:550) route, which is absolutely beautiful, and LOCKED. Shouldn't I be able to modify this? I have been a Trainz user since 2009, solely because of the editability that N3V has allowed me to be. Is that changing? Or am I missing something?
It's up to the content-creator to allow editing of their DLC content directly. The Donner Pass route, for example, is fully editable while others are not, such as the one you installed.

As a Plus user, like other TRS22 users, you can clone DLC routes and sessions - I recommend opening a session of your choice and then doing a save-as to clone both the route and the session since this will give you a session that's already configured. You can edit the route to your heart's desire and create your own sessions. You can even upload your modified route to the DLS for users to use as long as they have the original. Note as long as they have the original which is the important part since you are not uploading a full copy. What you can't do is merge the route into anything else because this is not a full copy like the Donner Pass but is an alias of the original.

These changes were brought about by us kvetching loudly over the content being locked down, because like you many of us have been here for a long time. Ideally, we would like to be able to clone, merge, and fully modify due to many reasons such as fixing bugs, or including parts of a DLC into our own creations as we've done in the past.

JCitron, thank you for your response and suggestion on how to make an editable version of Elk Canyon. I never upload any routes that I edit. I understand and appreciate how much work goes into creating content and honor the hard work of all Content Creators. I simply enjoy personalizing things a bit. Thanks for your help.

Back