Trainz Classics 3rd Edition "Settle-Carlisle"

Lance_Jago

Trainz Team
In what is sure to appeal to both steam and diesel enthusiast alike, Trainz Classics 3rd Edition will feature the famous U.K. based route of Settle-Carlisle centered around the 1960s in the North of England. Auran follows the successful release of Trainz Classics 1st and 2nd Edition with this highly detailed and prototypically accurate route.

Each new release of Trainz Classics is centered around a particular period in railway history, a particular traction type or a prototypical route. Settle-Carlisle will focus on steam and diesel freight and passenger operations around the late 1950s and '60s

This stretch of railway must arguably be some of the most famous track in the country. In the 1960s the passenger and goods services on the S&C were in transition. Although still one of the three major Anglo-Scottish routes its importance had been steadily downgraded since it had been grouped into the London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1923. The frequency of express trains had been much reduced and the Manchester and Liverpool to Scotland expresses had been diverted to the West Coast main line many years previously. A sparse local passenger service covered the needs of the equally sparse population. Levels of through goods services were still high, mainly semi and fully fitted freight. The majority of these trains between the industrial centres of England and Scotland traversed the S&C at night. The block trains of anhydrite from Long Meg mine were a feature of the S&C together with the limestone and lime trucks which were collected daily from the limestone quarries and lime kilns in the Ribble Valley. Additionally there were the daily pick up goods trains, visiting the sheds, docks and sidings that were an integral part of most of the railway stations on the line.

Trainz Classics 3rd edition will ship complete with a number of Driver Sessions already configured for you to complete and take advantage of the rich history that surrounds this line. Each session will have an 'active' version in which you are at the controls and a 'passive' version where the auto (AI) driver will take charge and allow you to watch and learn as it goes through the required steps to complete the activities.

New features and improvements extend the possibilities with this latest edition.
-Updated Steam Characteristics, including particle effects, improved steam sounds and content
-New Semaphore Signalling, including New logic, New models and New animations
-Where appropriate, each locomotive has the AWS (Automatic Warning System) safety system in use at the prevailing time represented.
-Improved Passenger Asset Support
-Updated Interface including new steam locomotive controls

The Settle-Carlisle route has been painstakingly recreated by rail-sim.co.uk, the same team that created Hawes Junction for TRS2006. You can see more of their work at www.rail-sim.co.uk

For more details about Trainz Classics 3rd Edition, please visit http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/

Full details will be available on the Trainz Classics website in coming days at http://www.trainzclassics.com

Cheers.

If we have TC First and second addition will we have to buy a whole new game ore will we be able to downl;oad the thrif edition like a service pack type thing? (searches for TC fir instilation or something) Really curius i am...

If we have TC First and second addition will we have to buy a whole new game ore will we be able to downl;oad the thrif edition like a service pack type thing? (searches for TC fir instilation or something) Really curius i am...

Unless Lance proves me wrong you will have to buy the whole thing again

Yes, you will need to buy TC3 for the new features and content, however it is nowhere near the cost of a whole new game :)

Cheers.

but buy 2 or 3 of them and you will have spent more than a copy of 2006 which has a lot more than 3 routes in it.

I guess I have not been watching closly but I only count one Classic prior to "3rd" edition. What were "1rst" and "2nd" ?

So what exactly is the "improved passenger asset support"? What's been improved? What does it do for us, as the end user, or as the content creator? Or is this more marketing gobbeldygook like that from TRS2006 (where it said there were improvements for the passengers, but none were ever actually explained)?

Hi Magicland

Maybe the "improved passenger 'ass'et support" is providing seats and benches on the station platforms. ha ha !!!

Cheers,

Bill.

Terrific Lance,

Really looking forward too this one.:D

Mind you, I hope you realize, "That's torn it". I now have to get as much "Midland" stuff ready as I can get my hands on. He he.:hehe:

Great stuff. Thanks Lance.:wave:

Alex

... for the new features and content ...

Until a screenshot or movie proves me wrong, with "Updated Interface" do you meant that it actually has been updated or does it mean that the interface received the same "Update" as with the 2 previous versions of TC ?

I'm sorry but coloring the interface red (TC1 and TC2) and maybe green (TC3) just doesn't mean that it has been improved for me.
Must be another marketing joke and yet another version I'll not buy.
If auran continues that way with the Trainz product line I may not have bought any update even when TC30 comes out. (and reading the forums there are quite a few more users thinking the same way)

That's a ridiculous approach of squeezing money out of (until now) satisfied customers.
Thankfully there's KRS being released soon and MSTS2 in the works, maybe these simulators will put some pressure upon auran if the loyal community is unable to do so.

I'm having some hard times understanding that "Fury" MMORPG approach either.
I mean, is throwing a WOW clone onto the market really going to produce any revenue at all ?
Sure, there's lots of money to be made, as blizzard showed us already, but releasing a clone with the same model of charging for online play when there are MMORPGs around that have the same hack-and-slash kind of gameplay, being absolutely free (Guild Wars for example), that just can't work I'd say.
If there would be anything separating it from WOW it may work, but reading the feature list and watching the movies and game convention interviews it's nothing more than a clone. (as a sidenote, I don't own WOW either)

My guesses are that this will end up as the MAC OS version of Trainz, only difference being that Fury is being released and only a few hundred will buy it.
If I am right, then this will be another example of wasted development time in which a new and improved TRS could have made it to the market, but we'll see.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Well I know that I will be getting it, as I have been waiting for this route to be released and if its part of TC then all the better as I get the route I wanted and updates to the core system.

As to Fury from what I understand it isn't a WOW clone and is offering something different in the way it works ( I believe its going to be free to play )and apparently its fun, though I wont be getting it as those type of games aren't my cup of tea so to speak.

John

Last edited:
There are very few Peanut Butter Experts......

......and I liken Trainz Classics to that fact! The numbers that post here may fancy themselves Train Fans, but the numbers that will buy TC are just looking for some easy, self contained game with Trains in it. They probably have no notion of the Trainz Versions that came before, and they will make up the bulk of the sales. Some will come here, but most will not.

Skippy and Jif probably sell equally well....after all; Peanut Butter is Peanut Butter!

I'm happy for the neglected UK guys, now they get the Classics treatment for themselves! And if anyone is keeping score, it seems Auran created routes are down two to one to routes created by the community, which may have been released for free anyway, or offered as payware for less than the cost of Classics.

I seem to remember this route from MSTS anyway.......not much detail to render, kind of empty and bleak.......like the Harlem Line?

Ed

Still a "no" here.

Not a dig at the TC Classics concept. As with the first two routes, this route doesn't appeal to me. Well done on another release, however.

It would be good if one of the Auranites could elaborate a little on some of the improvements/refinements though. Remember, whilst some of us haven't tested the water yet, it doesn't necessarily mean one won't be diving into the pool eventually.

Cheers,
Simon

Is "Improved Passenger Asset Support" being able to choose passengers for different time periods?
Can I suggest that if anybody has any sensible suggestions that they post them in the correct Forum? So far there has been a depressing lack of suggestions as to what people would like to see.

Now the cat has been let out of the bag you all know what the major changes will be in TC so let's hear what you want (and don't bother suggesting a new JET engine).

Paul

Last edited:
It looks as if the mystery loco is a 9F. I haven't a clue about the shunter however; it looks the same as the Jinty.

Back