Thrown across the yard while shunting.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I've had this happen twice now in SP3. I'm shunting one of the goods yard as I've done so often before on my Norfolk layout and I move my mouse cursor to switch a set of points and suddenly I'm tossed a couple of hundred yards away down the goods yard and I no longer have control of the engine I was driving. Needless to say the engine is still moving uncontrolled and it all ends with a derailment which completely messes up my running session.
Having not experienced this before in any other version of Trainz I'm wondering if it's a bug and what I should do about it.

Yes! GRRR!

That is an intended thing I was told by Zec when I reported that as a bug and also occurs in TANE as well. The purpose is to show a related path for the AI to travel when you've clicked on a switch lever. The problem is your train is now unattended and barreling down the tracks towards a red signal because the junction is set against the driver.

Thanks very much for your reply John. Well that was something that I wasn't expecting, - that being tossed off the loco and down the yard is an intended design feature. All I can say is in response that it is very disconcerting and I don't like it one bit Mr Zec.

It has happened to me in TANE. Not in TRS19 as yet, but it's early days for me. I try to avoid this jarring effect by creeping slowly up to a switch and changing it via the keyboard bindings if possible.

So a stealthy approach and then hit the switch with the magic letter 'J' before it realises you're there. The things N3V expect us to do just to play trains (sigh).

I usually end up hitting Pause to change switches. But I have noticed increasing difficulty in moving to train and taking control in general. If there is more than one consist on the scene it often seems to ignore the right-click "Move to train", and if I right click and select "Drive Train", the train starts forward without me. If I bring up the drivers it doesn't give me the choice to select it that way either. Odd behavior, seems to me.

I've never been one to change switch points while blasting down the track at 40 MPH anyway - especially when exploring a new route. Most of my virtual railroading takes place in the 1950s - a slower time when dispatchers didn't handle traffic from hundreds of miles away. Slow down, stop, let the brakeman handle it.

I tried it in SP3 111951 Euro version
and could not reproduce sofar

You should always keep focus on your train, unless:
-you click another vehicle/train
-or select another from the drivers list

a few questions:
-are there interlockingtower paths used on that yard?
-how many switches were changed, how much time?
-aren't other vehicles(not from that train) clicked by accident?

A this is current design/intended answer on a bug report, is polite but not helping anyone.
greetings GM

I tried it in SP3 111951 Euro version
and could not reproduce sofar

You should always keep focus on your train, unless:
-you click another vehicle/train
-or select another from the drivers list

a few questions:
-are there interlockingtower paths used on that yard?
-how many switches were changed, how much time?
-aren't other vehicles(not from that train) clicked by accident?

A this is current design/intended answer on a bug report, is polite but not helping anyone.
greetings GM

To engage this "intended behavior":

While in driver, click on a junction to select it rather than just selecting the red-green arrows.

This will take the focus from your loco and put you on the junction. The junction circle will be highlighted and pulsate from light to dark and leave you without a train. I too don't find this realistic and in fact it's actually disconcerting to find myself totally disorientated and sometimes many km or miles from my train. When switching a yard, we may have to switch a junction ahead if we forgot to switch the junction beforehand. As we go for that missed junction, we find ourselves again with a consist that may or may not be moving and unattended.

That's about the size of it John. It's the speed with which I am flung across a good few hundred yards of more that I find particularly upsetting. I have severe type 1 narcolepsy which means that it doesn't take much of a stress trigger to shut my brain off for me. I like to shunt and do trip working, but it doesn't seem like so much fun anymore.

I don't use interlocking tower paths GM because I never could understand them and as well as that the particular yards I'm shunting in were originally built in TS2012 which doesn't have interlocking towers. Mostly I'm shunting with an elderly 0-6-0 of the strong, but slow and steady kind and I navigate my way through the yards the old fashioned way switching points by throwing over the levers. There will be other trains about running on AI schedules, but I know to stay out of their way.

ah ok John, indeed I just click the arrows here (my own arrows ;-)) and the junction changes

Never used or needed Interlocking towers here,
I make sure routes are simple and work without any tricks default.
still trying to understand what happens.

I thought it was just me and my WIP route!
I don't often drive my WIP routes, I was letting an AI train navigate for me tonight and it stopped ahead of a junction. I was following the train from above, pressed 4 to go and look what the problem was, I found a junction had not released for the correct path, it was not 'padlocked' so I clicked the junction and I was then doing an impression of rocket man flying at speed and coming to an abrupt halt about 100m down the track!
Under no circumstances should that happen!

The list of 'it's supposed to be like that' seems to be getting longer.

SP1 build 106618

Cheers,
Graham

I find the flinging actually triggers my vertigo a lot of times so I am really careful when I click.

I know what you mean, Graham.

Now it happened to me when I was uncoupling a parcel van. Th1s new 'feature' is becoming not at all amusing very quickly.

Yeah, me too, except I usually find myself attached to some other available consist, not the one I'm driving.

This is not a nice "feature."

>:B~[

It is just unbelievable, I have also now found myself being rapidly transmogrified from driver to goods wagon cargo and on a different consist that has no loco!!!!.

So we get features that we don't want and features that we want are removed (e.g. top bar controls in surveyor).

I'll use my favourite German word for this..... Verschlimmbesserung!

Cheers

Graham

Back