The Lego Train Project!

gooper1

YOLT.You Only Like Trains
So,I have something to announce.I am making a Lego train for Trainz!:pIt might be started some more time in the year though due to my crappy laptop:(.Suggest the lego trains that I should make!:cool:

While I like the idea, I'll go out on a limb and assume we'll never see them.

Rule of thumb, don't say you are going to make some thing until after you have started and have some thing to show.

Rule of thumb, don't say you are going to make some thing until after you have started and have some thing to show.

Do you know what patience means?

Do you know what patience means?
Do you know what respect means?

The reason we go by the "show and tell" rule is because many aspiring content creators, such as yourself, have announced a project that they're working on, only to have the project later go up in smoke and disappointing both themselves and the community. That's where the term "vaporware" come from.

Plus, an announcement with nothing to show for it takes up room on the forums. Announcements don't generally attract discussion or interest when it's just text. Think about posting announcements here as airing a commercial for a new product. They wouldn't air a commercial that simply talks about the product without showing it off, would they?

I wouldn't mind seeing some Lego Trains in Trainz, although if I were you, I'd use as reference the different lego trains in that one lego train game for the PC.

Yup. I learned that early on into developing, far before joining SRS. The only two things you'll hear from me about are the Superliner set and SD60M (insert genius product placement) despite the fact that I have at least 5 or 6 things in the works. Those two above have been in development for a little while now, and I only started the Superliner thread after extensive research contacting the author, and searching for a modeler. Even if you look at the thread right now it's rather subdued. Sorta.

That being said, your enthusiasm will take you many places my friend. You should learn to channel that into development.

And dropping that attitude :)

I tried to get make a Chicago & Northwestern GP15-1 using Lego Digital Designer (LDD), which you can get off their website. The hardest part were the radiators at the rear, the short nose, and the numberboards above the front window. I decided to uninstall LDD a while back because I suddenly got low on memory, but I managed to solve that problem and I had to download it off their website again and install it. I've yet to return to work on it, if I can access it.

Gooper1, my suggestion for a "Lego" engine to build is the Mega Blocks Steam Express 9778 with a Cornelius Vanderbilt Mark 3 Corridor Tender. It's not from the Lego Corporation but it's built the same way.

Gooper1, my suggestion for a "Lego" engine to build is the Mega Blocks Steam Express 9778 with a Cornelius Vanderbilt Mark 3 Corridor Tender. It's not from the Lego Corporation but it's built the same way.

Mega Bloks?Big fat NO,#Lego ftw!

It's sadly a one or the other case. If you make something for RW, Dovetail's policy is that it cannot be released for any other simulation. It may sound a bit harsh (especially the way I just said it) but it's their method of monitoring copyright and distribution.

Yes it will,be patient or I'll make it for RailWorks first!
If you can't even make it for Trainz, you won't be able to make it for Railworks either ;)
I dont know the things that I need to create them

Face it, you don't know what you are talking about, so I suggest you go learn how to create content first before making more posts and/or announcements about it. Read what a few of the more experienced people already posted.

We aren't intentionally trying to scare you away or be rude, it's just the process of developing takes time, patience, and the willingness to keep a commitment.

*and an hour or two at the pub*

We aren't intentionally trying to scare you away or be rude, it's just the process of developing takes time, patience, and the willingness to keep a commitment.

*and an hour or two at the pub*

Yup, I agree!

I haven't said anything here until now so let me explain about projects as they pertain to hobbies.

Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and we know that. The problem is projects start as ideas and ideas grow. And they grow bigger and bigger as more and more of ideas and branches on the ideas get thrown into the pot. This sounds all great and wonderful. The problem is these sights and ideas of grandeur become a chore. What was thought of as being a fun project now takes longer than planned, making the project no longer fun. When this happens, the project becomes a dead end just like hundreds or perhaps thousands of them here.

The thing is start small to get the grips on what it's like to make stuff. It doesn't have to be the Lego thing you want, just use the tools and learn to make something. Once you get this under your belt, you can look to higher and bigger horizons along the way.

I'm saying this as someone who has experienced this not only with Trainz, but also with tons of other projects in other fields. I have a ton of aborted abandoned routes which I started and deleted, assets I tried making in GMax and Blender where I gave up and recently deleted, and tons of other things. In music, which was also a career, albeit briefly, I have started and back burnered many big piano pieces. I mean Piano Concertos by Chopin and Beethoven, which were probably too difficult for me to attempt in the first place, many sonatas which have now taken me years to finally get right as I've gone back and looked at them with fresh eyes. This brings up something I want to discuss.

The idea of starting small, which I mentioned, means you'll make something within your abilities and actually accomplish something. There's nothing like drudging along on the same project, only to get frustrated because it's too difficult, like some of the sonatas I looked at. If you can get the smaller project done, and perhaps learn something from it, you can use this experience gained to work on something more complex. For me the Piano Concertos are dead projects, however, the sonatas have been progressively getting better. On one of them I have recently learned the other movements and can now play the piece all the way through. This is what I would consider a long term project, just like a big Trainz route, and more like a complex model which takes many, many months to get right.

John

Back