The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

Dave,

If you`re talking about GP40-2W reskins - they`re made by DericM and they`re on DLS.
Ifyou`re talking about ground textures - thank you, i personally wonder, how i did that :hehe:

7186c4451d08b3ba55b813f80633bd8e.jpg

Working at Windsor 2 guys sitting around ( one looks like Rick ) This track is rearly used so its unlikey a train will be comming anytime soon.
dragonharh_20140804_0002_zps89c040f9.jpg

dragonharh_20140804_0001_zps51829fb7.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

If you`re talking about GP40-2W reskins - they`re made by DericM and they`re on DLS.
Ifyou`re talking about ground textures - thank you, i personally wonder, how i did that :hehe:

I was referring to the ground textures. Yeah, sometimes I do one myself that looks better than I anticipated and I say to myself, "How'd I do that??" LOL!

Morning Gents; Lots of great work! I didn't know Canada was such a popular spot for trainz folks! Still working at it. Sooo much water and forest to work on!

Cheers .... Rick
rickf77_20140805_0000-1.jpg~original

Morning Folks; Watched Pete's videos and peeked at the 3 or 4 photo bucket shots. Great stuff Pete!

About 150 yards to the rear of the caboose is the fourth causeway, where I'm working now. I'm getting bored looking at my route without grass. Thought I'd try some out. Any grass you see is JR grazzy grass (I think that's the name ... it's free). When I get to the end of the line, I will start putting in grass and MAYBE wildflowers, if I find any that don't look to large.

Cheers, hope you're all healthy and happy .... Rick

rickf77_20140808_0000.jpg~original

Thanks Chris! I needed that! My map has been driving me nuts the last few days! Although I used TransDEM and believe it's great, I had to do things a little differently. Sooo...I'm moving the track a little this way and that, trying my best to avoid cuts and what have you, unless I know they should be there. I have given up on the idea of having an exact replica of the route. Close (at times not so close!) is going to have to be good enough. The real route is mostly a nature trail. I get pretty peeved off when I have to "go fictional"! Thankfully, the wife pops in now and then and says, "Hey, isn't that the part of the trail we walked on the other day?" Boy, that woman has a good imagination! Great at finding the perfect husband, also! Hee, hee.

See ya, cheers .... Rick

Rick I know that old tail like the back of my hand you may use my videos to help if you get stuck The last rail line DAR will become a tail as well saddy.

Thanks guys! You know D, I've heard guys say it's a lot harder doing a route in an area that you know. That trail always seems almost perfectly flat to me. I know its not, somehow it goes from a couple of meters above sea level to about 90 meters up in the Musquodoboit Valley. I believe the fisrt time I tried the route the highest point I laid track was 89(?) meters. I used to do a little rock hounding up in that area. I'm not sure, but I think the highest ground was less than 400 FT. That's a real mountain for us saltwater cowboys! I'll figure something out, inch by inch if I have to!

Cheers ... Rick

Thanks Chris! I needed that! My map has been driving me nuts the last few days! Although I used TransDEM and believe it's great, I had to do things a little differently. Sooo...I'm moving the track a little this way and that, trying my best to avoid cuts and what have you, unless I know they should be there. I have given up on the idea of having an exact replica of the route. Close (at times not so close!) is going to have to be good enough. The real route is mostly a nature trail. I get pretty peeved off when I have to "go fictional"! Thankfully, the wife pops in now and then and says, "Hey, isn't that the part of the trail we walked on the other day?" Boy, that woman has a good imagination! Great at finding the perfect husband, also! Hee, hee.

See ya, cheers .... Rick

Rick: Me; - being a retired P. Eng. -I lay track like I was building it and I was paying for it! I move the track to suit the terrain. Not the data from the topo maps, or the blue-green line from the track vector data (TransDEM input) because those data are for paper maps.

I've seen many TransDEM routes where the track runs along a valley floor in what looks like a ditch because the track as TransDEM lays it out is flat and the route builder use 'smooth' to adjust the track. I fiddle the gradient as I go along the track to minimize the 'cuts' and 'fills' an imaginary construction crew would need.

The same with going around mountains :hehe:

A trite cliche: overworked but appropriate: "A picture is worth a-buncha-words"

trackexample_zps5a9b0ed4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The blue-green line is where the track was placed. I don't think that placement would work. Roller Coaster, anyone? :D

Also, the trouble is NOT with TransDEM. It puts the track, roads etc., where the data says, wrongly perhaps, it belongs. An "exact replica" of the route won't happen unless you use differential GPS and go and measure it. And <hehehe> are you going to account for the continent slowly sinking? :hehe:

Cheers,
--michael.
PS I'm still trying to get a beach like yours Rick. Got everything but the waves :'( :'(

Hi Guys; I see R4P has some new crossing signs on the DLS! Something I may just be able to pull off on my route. I'm just touching one of the areas populated by Acadians. I'm not sure if they could pull it off in the 1950s, but I think they could now. They are very proud people. That dang flag of their's is everywhere! Just in case you are south of the border and didn't know, this is where the Cajun people came from. They look real good, Pete!

Michael and D; That shot of Michael's is very much what I'm dealing with. D, I'm not having a problem with where everything should be. I believe that the roads, track, etc., are just about where they should be. I think my map is the "street view" type. I just took the "crash course" for TransDEM. So I can see town names, streets and everything but the trail. I'm too tired and it would fill the page for me to try to explain how I got the "blue line" on my map. I'm happy to say that I am dealing with it the way Michael is. When things just don't seem right, I start thinking about the money! When that blue line don't look good, I have a look ahead for the easiest, cheapest way. Oh, I may cheat, if there is no other way! It's mostly flat rolling land around here, but going up the Musquodoboit Valley is much like that mountain shot. There are a couple of areas where there is a river, about 20 feet or so where the track is, and then the cliff shoots almost straight up. I did an awful job on it last time. Even though it's kind of flat, I do have a fair amount of the roller coasters. I'm guessing we all have to deal with these. Oh, that smooth spline is a very last resort for me! I use it very seldom. It does come in handy when I have to build a causeway.

Hee, hee, the wave on the water is easy. You just have to find a grid line and follow it along. I think I raised the land up just above the water. I'm no math whiz, but I think the worst angle you could have the waves coming in on the beach would be 45 degrees. Even that would be realistic. Then I just used the same texture that I used on the waves washing ashore. If you want the textures, let me know. I will find them next time I'm on my trainz pc.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only guy who has to count the pennies. When you think about, the route will most likely be like the real deal when you're trying to save every dime!

Cheers ... Rick

Neat shot. :) Did you do any modifications to the route? Looks different than I remember somehow...

Rick: Me; - being a retired P. Eng. -I lay track like I was building it and I was paying for it! I move the track to suit the terrain. Not the data from the topo maps, or the blue-green line from the track vector data (TransDEM input) because those data are for paper maps.

I've seen many TransDEM routes where the track runs along a valley floor in what looks like a ditch because the track as TransDEM lays it out is flat and the route builder use 'smooth' to adjust the track. I fiddle the gradient as I go along the track to minimize the 'cuts' and 'fills' an imaginary construction crew would need.

The same with going around mountains :hehe:

A trite cliche: overworked but appropriate: "A picture is worth a-buncha-words"

The blue-green line is where the track was placed. I don't think that placement would work. Roller Coaster, anyone? :D

Also, the trouble is NOT with TransDEM. It puts the track, roads etc., where the data says, wrongly perhaps, it belongs. An "exact replica" of the route won't happen unless you use differential GPS and go and measure it. And <hehehe> are you going to account for the continent slowly sinking? :hehe:

Cheers,
--michael.
PS I'm still trying to get a beach like yours Rick. Got everything but the waves :'( :'(

I like your thinking and I totally agree: can't always trust what something says. That being said, there is an easier way to get more specifics: google tiles. That way, you can see where the tracks literally go and their surroundings. This is not always possible, esp. in more rural areas, but even a low res shot could be useful. Once you use them, you'll never go back!

Google maps and ruler seems to be a big help plus using 2 PCs

Millers Creek Gypsum Mind

Like I said, if you can use google tiles (or tiles from any source for that matter) it aids immensely. I used rulers on my first route I made and found it very time consuming and difficult, because of angles, dips, turns, etc...

Hi Guys; I see R4P has some new crossing signs on the DLS! Something I may just be able to pull off on my route. I'm just touching one of the areas populated by Acadians. I'm not sure if they could pull it off in the 1950s, but I think they could now. They are very proud people. That dang flag of their's is everywhere! Just in case you are south of the border and didn't know, this is where the Cajun people came from. They look real good, Pete!

Michael and D; That shot of Michael's is very much what I'm dealing with. D, I'm not having a problem with where everything should be. I believe that the roads, track, etc., are just about where they should be. I think my map is the "street view" type. I just took the "crash course" for TransDEM. So I can see town names, streets and everything but the trail. I'm too tired and it would fill the page for me to try to explain how I got the "blue line" on my map. I'm happy to say that I am dealing with it the way Michael is. When things just don't seem right, I start thinking about the money! When that blue line don't look good, I have a look ahead for the easiest, cheapest way. Oh, I may cheat, if there is no other way! It's mostly flat rolling land around here, but going up the Musquodoboit Valley is much like that mountain shot. There are a couple of areas where there is a river, about 20 feet or so where the track is, and then the cliff shoots almost straight up. I did an awful job on it last time. Even though it's kind of flat, I do have a fair amount of the roller coasters. I'm guessing we all have to deal with these. Oh, that smooth spline is a very last resort for me! I use it very seldom. It does come in handy when I have to build a causeway.

Hee, hee, the wave on the water is easy. You just have to find a grid line and follow it along. I think I raised the land up just above the water. I'm no math whiz, but I think the worst angle you could have the waves coming in on the beach would be 45 degrees. Even that would be realistic. Then I just used the same texture that I used on the waves washing ashore. If you want the textures, let me know. I will find them next time I'm on my trainz pc.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only guy who has to count the pennies. When you think about, the route will most likely be like the real deal when you're trying to save every dime!

Cheers ... Rick

Awesome shots as always. Loved the look of your beach and appreciate the fine details you are putting in. Those make route building very cumbersome, but worthwhile to the builder (and hopefully, the third party drivers like us!)

Here's a few shots of what I mean BTW

It's hard to see in the second shot, but you can see the blue lines Michael was talking about are a bit off. The lower quality res pictures don't help (I made these when I had an older, less capable video card at the time) but they still give you a better idea.

Keep up the great shots everyone!

Back