The Anti-Missing Dependencies League

sawyer811

MKT Forever and always
Wierd title, I know:eek:

After a conversation in the screenshots forum, I had a bit of a brainwave. I've always seen dozens of tiny threads about missing depenencies, post dozens more posts spamming release threads about "where does such-and-such come from?" and "where can I find this-and-that?" And despite what anyone else says, trying to find missing dependencies via Google is like pulling teeth: more often than not you're directed to a thread here that someone else posted about trying to find the same dependecies! Here's the worst part, half the time nobody ELSE who replies knows where they are!

That led me to the aforementioned idea. I thought, "why not start a central thread where people could post the dependency(/ies) they're missing?" I figured a single location like this was a good idea because A) there would now be a specific place you can go to if you want to ask about something missing, basically eliminating the infamous game of "Hunt the KUID" plus , B) if anybody else is missing the same thing(s), all they have to do is scroll through the thread and look for it.

There are some guidelines:
1. Linking directly to the site(s) of the author(s) who created the asset(s) is perfectly fine, as is directly linking to the download, as long as that link comes from the author(s) site(s).
2. In the above case, bear in mind that links can change, so the asset might not always stay in the same place. I'll do my best to keep on top of them, and I might ask a friend of mine to help me out (read: He's gonna get Shanghaied into service helping me with the monstrosity I could very well have just created)
3. Sending an asset via PM is not recommended, nor is asking for it to be sent to you via e-mail, especially if you flat-out post your e-mail adress here on the forums (believe me on that one; I've gotten more than enough spam over my tenure here that I will never forget that lesson).
4. Under NO circumstances is someone allowed to upload a copy of someone else's work to their own site/the DLS/TPR/whatever, UNLESS they have specific permission of the author first; first off it's Illegal, and second it's just plain disrespectful.
5. If you are someone who was directed here in search of an asset, I highly discourage simply scrolling through the thread. Instead, use the "search thread" function on the top center/right just above this leading post and every post at the top of the following pages. I will post a "how-to" on how to use this at a later time.
6. I add this one because I have personally come across these instances a number of times; there will be cases (especially in relation to DLS-hosted content) where an asset will have one of its depencies updated with a 2:XXXX:XXXXX:1 number, which obsoletes the original and removes it from the DLS, thus listing the asset as "Missing" since often the main object doesn't get updated and its config still contains the old KUID number (There are a few of Vulcan's aircraft that do this, for example). If that is the case, and the question comes up here, I will leave this notice here as a reminder: Exhaust all options before coming here! Search the DLS first, I beg of you. If nothing else, punch in the old KUID number, or even just the first half, which is the author's personal ID number. In addition, I have come across several locomotives whose configs contain erronious KUIDs that are not required for the loco to function. and are often only listed in one place. here again, I add this notice: Exhaust all options before coming here! If the asset is not on the DLS, then check the the config file to see what the KUID is for (bogey, hornsound, corona, etc.) and if it is even needed at all.

So, with that, I open this up to all of you. Hopefully this will put a damper on all those saturdays spent waltzing all over the blasted internet trying to find that one dependency that seems to have dropped off the face of the planet.
fire away boys!

Last edited:
Hi, on the russian forums there are such threads, the users ask on the thread and the moderators post download links for the missing dependencies. But in Russia is mostly because they can't use the download station, and asking for such a thread in this forum would result in a lot of bashing for "piracy".

Not to mention there is a kuid service where you can search for kuids. www.kuid.ru

... trying to find missing dependencies via Google is like pulling teeth: more often than not you're directed to a thread here that someone else posted about trying to find the same dependecies! Here's the worst part, half the time nobody ELSE who replies knows where they are! ...

... or the links they post are obsolete!! It's going to get worse now with bucket sites disabling sharing!!!

I support the idea, but there need to be guidlines.
- Linking to author's site is OK.
- Direct links can change/expire.
- Sending via PM is iffy.
- Uploading a copy somewhere without author's permission & posting a link is a no-no.

------------

... on the russian forums there are such threads, the users ask on the thread and the moderators post download links for the missing dependencies. But in Russia is mostly because they can't use the download station, and asking for such a thread in this forum would result in a lot of bashing for "piracy".

Hmm.. interesting. If it works, I won't knock it, but I can't condone it ;)

I've spent a lot of the last month chasing bits of Pofig's Speedtrees on Russian sites. The links and packages seem to change overnight sometimes, which is awkward when they're becoming so popular.

It sounds like a good idea Sawyer, but chances are people will just post elsewhere anyway, without checking to see if there was such a thread. Besides that, I don't look good in Spandex, do we have to wear Spandex?

all they have to do is scroll through the thread and look for it.
... and that is exactly the point I have against this idea.
Even tried to find your information in a 50+ page thread?

Now a sollution would be a (sub) forum for all those "missing kuid" related questions. That keeps them in 1 place and the topics hardly gets longer then a page or 2.

... or the links they post are obsolete!! It's going to get worse now with bucket sites disabling sharing!!!

I support the idea, but there need to be guidlines.
- Linking to author's site is OK.
- Direct links can change/expire.
- Sending via PM is iffy.
- Uploading a copy somewhere without author's permission & posting a link is a no-no.

------------

Hmm.. interesting. If it works, I won't knock it, but I can't condone it ;)

I've spent a lot of the last month chasing bits of Pofig's Speedtrees on Russian sites. The links and packages seem to change overnight sometimes, which is awkward when they're becoming so popular.

Russian forums caN change overnight (since many on the forums are young) me for example, I'm 20 and I'm up whole night :) So that is why packages appear mid night :))

The Russian addons are of very high quality, and pretty much recommended. Especially the free Moscow metro routes, that was for some reason included in my version of Trainz.

A blog would be better - most recent info 1st.
If that still means you got all the different kuids in 1, you have the same result: 50+ pages but now ordered the other way around.
Murphy's law dictates that your information will still be on the last page.
So unless you make the ammount of pages less, by for example not having all the requests in 1 topic or blog but spread over various of those, searching will still be a lot of work.

Oh dear, this is starting to sound like my last brainwave; and that one burned down half the neighborhood! (I must remember to never mix gigantic bottle rockets, .55 Caliber anti-tank rifles and 55 gallon drums of gasoline again :eek:) To answer everybody (somewhat):
@Euphod, I have no expectation of this thread completely doing away with all the little threads and spamming posts, but if it even puts a slight, miniscule dent in their creation, then I view that as a victory. my hope is that, eventually, if someone asks a question they can be directed here.

@theasta I agree with your guidelines; I will add them to the lead post shortly.

@oknosten, I understand your concern, and honestly I share them, but barring the intervention of a mod, this is the best we can do for now. I thought there used to be a function on the old forums where you could search just the thread you were currently in, but honestly I haven't played around with the new search system enough yet, and for all I know I'm making the thing up anyway. If it is there, it would be helpful, as you could just type in the KUID you're looking for and see if it comes up.

and finally @korikova80 you have to remember that, while I may be 18 and from the technology generation, I can barely make trainz run the right way (my usual method of trying to solve a problem is to mash every button i can find, repeatedly, until either the computer, freezes, explodes, goes full Chernobyl and has a meltdown, or any combination of those three--It never solves the problem, and yet I still do it :hehe: ). That's another reason I started this thread, so that those who aren't as computer savvy as some of us around here can get help finding the stuff they're missing.

I understand that this is a far from perfect plan, but it's got to be better than nothing, right? I actually welcome this discussion; if nothing else it helps to refine the parameters I've set out.

Oh dear, this is starting to sound like my last brainwave; and that one burned down half the neighborhood! (I must remember to never mix gigantic bottle rockets, .55 Caliber anti-tank rifles and 55 gallon drums of gasoline again :eek:) To answer everybody (somewhat):
@Euphod, I have no expectation of this thread completely doing away with all the little threads and spamming posts, but if it even puts a slight, miniscule dent in their creation, then I view that as a victory. my hope is that, eventually, if someone asks a question they can be directed here.

@theasta I agree with your guidelines; I will add them to the lead post shortly.

@oknosten, I understand your concern, and honestly I share them, but barring the intervention of a mod, this is the best we can do for now. I thought there used to be a function on the old forums where you could search just the thread you were currently in, but honestly I haven't played around with the new search system enough yet, and for all I know I'm making the thing up anyway. If it is there, it would be helpful, as you could just type in the KUID you're looking for and see if it comes up.

and finally @korikova80 you have to remember that, while I may be 18 and from the technology generation, I can barely make trainz run the right way (my usual method of trying to solve a problem is to mash every button i can find, repeatedly, until either the computer, freezes, explodes, goes full Chernobyl and has a meltdown, or any combination of those three--It never solves the problem, and yet I still do it :hehe: ). That's another reason I started this thread, so that those who aren't as computer savvy as some of us around here can get help finding the stuff they're missing.

I understand that this is a far from perfect plan, but it's got to be better than nothing, right? I actually welcome this discussion; if nothing else it helps to refine the parameters I've set out.

Very funny... My brother had his first job when he was 13 years, he was working as a computer tecknician in Spain... And he knows computers very good since he didn't study, and I didn't study either.

I am 20 years now, and because I live here doesn't mean I'm stupid with computers, I know them very well since I got help from my brother, and I learned on my own. Trainz doesn't run properly for me either, loads of missing dependencies, like 170 missing. So I'm not saying I'm better than you. I currently work as a real life train driver in a DR9.

You're lucky it's just a joke about Chernobyl. On my own my cousins girlfriend is from Chernobyl and according to her, booth her parents died because radiactive sickness, which led to cancer. When this accident happened at reactor 4 they didn't tell the people about the accident until days after, so they were already exposed to radiation, it was terrible and (luckily) I wasn't even born by then. But it was very sad for the people in Ukraine, and they do still remember this tragic. Today Pripyat stands as it is, my favourite town, of course... But a little bit off topic to talk about this.

I know computers, and many other things (especially how to annoy people), and I'm a girl. So I'm not as ridicolous people would think :)

Like my location says, "Anywhere but where my common sense is O.O" Apparently, any tact i had left waltzed out the premesis too.

I hardly meant to imply that you or anyone were actually unskilled with computers, I just know that I'm not skilled with them, and with as many people as their are on these forums It's a statistical impossibility that I'm the only one around here that's computer ignorant (I wouldn't totally discount it, though).

And yeah, the Chernobyl thing...not one of my shining moments. I hope you can forgive me for being insensitive: Lord knows I wouldn't wish the fate of the people who worked on the cleanup of that place on my worst enemy.

Sorry, let's just breeze on by that really awkward moment in my life.

(oh, PS, you're not the only one who knows how to annoy people: That's the reason they created the "H" key on the keyboard and the MAX setting on speakers.

Last edited:
Well Sawyer, I didn't say it was a bad idea, and as you have pointed out even if it were to be under utilized, it could help still. I wish the forums had a section just for lost kuids, but then not everyone would use that either! A long time ago, when kuids were new, I actually started a website that people could go to and list, or retrieve kuids for content. Some creators refused to list their content, but many did, and it did help a great deal during the transition period. I know you are trying to help, and that's great. I think a blog devoted to common lost kuid would be even more helpful than a thread, but that's your call. Certainly if you were to do some forum trawling and amass a number of lost kuids, and then start a thread anyone using the search feature would bring up your thread. All you have to do is jump in and start posting.

Remember: Even the smallest horse's arse attracts some flies.

Just do it man, and the kuids will come...

Now, about that Spandex...:confused:

I wrote the article below for John King's Trainz Community Newsletter back in 2010. The situation has not changed all that much since 2006. It is still a massive task to carry out and very few people are willing to assist.

First question to ask is whether the missing dependency is critical to the route/session you are interested in because trying to find it may not be worth the effort of searching for it.

Secondly, is the asset really missing?

There is an obsoletion anomaly in Content Manager search function. If an obsolete asset is a non-sequential kuid number then it is reported as missing when in fact it may NEVER has existed. They often get reported as out of date but if on DLS the replacement cannot be downloaded.

Some examples:

When Trainz Classics routes were updated for TRS2009, assets that originally had say a :1 extension were replaced with one having say a :40. Consequentially :2 through :39 are reported as missing.

Even worse is the :127 error. This occurs when a creator uses a mixed format, part kuid, part kuid2 then an update from :0 to :127 occurs and you have 126 missing assets just for this one error. Cant fix unless you start the update in a new kuid sequence.

The initial introduction of Speedtreez saw some deciduous trees being replaced by coniferous, and on at least one occasion obsoleted a rolling stock asset. See some of dmdrake's trees that suffered this fate.

The MADE project is not dead. I hope one day I will complete it, but with ~13,000 assets supposedly missing it really needs a database with a search function. That then raises the re-distribution copyright problem.

The Missing Assets Dilemma

http://www.zatovisualworks.com/trainz/tcn/tcn_volume_1/index.html?pageNumber=222

@Euphod, I like that idea. It would be a pain the @$$ for sure, but since I usually don't get on trainz during the week, barring vacations and such, I'll some free time to devote the cause. Like I said, I haven't fully explored the forums yet, so I'll have to see what I can do about getting some sort of blog set up. For now, this will suffice.

Wish me luck; I'm gonna need it. I'm also gonna have to hide every blunt object (baseball bats, lamp posts, steel pipes, etc.) in the house, just so I'm not tempted to beat my computer into an unregonizable peice of scrap.

Like my location says, "Anywhere but where my common sense is O.O" Apparently, any tact i had left waltzed out the premesis too.

I hardly meant to imply that you or anyone were actually unskilled with computers, I just know that I'm not skilled with them, and with as many people as their are on these forums It's a statistical impossibility that I'm the only one around here that's computer ignorant (I wouldn't totally discount it, though).

And yeah, the Chernobyl thing...not one of my shining moments. I hope you can forgive me for being insensitive: Lord knows I wouldn't wish the fate of the people who worked on the cleanup of that place on my worst enemy.

Sorry, let's just breeze on by that really awkward moment in my life.

(oh, PS, you're not the only one who knows how to annoy people: That's the reason they created the "H" key on the keyboard and the MAX setting on speakers.

Don't worry about it... It could be my bad english which make it sound like this... Computers are pretty easy, just give it some time (but unless you make a living with them it isn't necessary).

I can forgive you, since you didn't mean it as a bad thing against chernobyl. The awfull thing is that they actually made video games called "S.T.AL.K.E.R" that is about Chernobyl, in the game there is lies, and in the game they make a horrible reputation about Pripyat.

It makes me and several others who lost people from there so sad because it's a very disrepectfull to us, and it shouldn't even be legal to make games of it. Especially not since over 600.000 liquidators (cleanup workers) died when cleaning up after the disaster.

Haha, I hope your neighbours are happy :)

Here is an example of a Russian kuid thread, where they ask for kuids and the moderator give it to them. Look at how many pages it is, it's pretty popular over here :)

http://www.trainsim.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=366&page=60

Last edited:
wow, that thread's amazing! The only problem is if we tried to do that here in the US (there are several other countries like this too...I think) I could more than likely end up going to jail: or at least I will if SOPA passed. Jeez, anybody up for some rioting? :D

Can anyone point me to these kuids?

Unknown Location: <kuid:137823:214>
Unknown Location: <kuid:137823:216>
Unknown Location: <kuid:137823:217>
Unknown Location: <kuid:138423:1100042>
Unknown Location: <kuid:138423:1100043>
Unknown Location: <kuid:138423:1100045>
Unknown Location: <kuid:146617:50000>
Unknown Location: <kuid:146617:50002>
Unknown Location: <kuid:146617:50003>
Unknown Location: <kuid:146617:50006>
Unknown Location: <kuid:146617:50007>
Unknown Location: <kuid:219472:1326>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:12002>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:12004>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:15994>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:15995>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:15997>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:15998>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:15999>
Unknown Location: <kuid:55290:16001>
Unknown Location: <kuid2:55290:11001:1>

the 137823 KUID's are from captainkilljoy and the 138423's are from joram24; I can't seem to find any of them in CM3.3, but your best course of action is probably to troll RRMods. I know Joram is associated with them, and I think captainkilljoy is too. Unfortunately, they don't have a KUID list or have the numbers added down below the downloads.

146617: sorry there mate, ain't got the slightest clue (apparently, he/she has never posted anything on the DLS)

55290 is sureshot28...again, best bet is to get on RRMods.

and 219472 is (oh boy) nikos 1. Good luck there mate: I'd take a wild guess and say that one's lurking somewhere on USLW, but good luck finding it. Ever since they reorganized the site I haven't been able to find squat, and the search function might as well not be there.

If you don't mind me asking, what do these happen to come from?

wow, that thread's amazing! The only problem is if we tried to do that here in the US (there are several other countries like this too...I think) I could more than likely end up going to jail: or at least I will if SOPA passed. Jeez, anybody up for some rioting? :D

I sent the US government a mail about SOPA, because that could affect Russia as well since many websites are american, SOPA is terrible for humanity, and for human rights.

I feel that if america passes a law like this, the USA is like a capitalist version of the Soviet Union, since they will be spying over the people and they already do, it's terrible... Not to mentiom I'm a communist (but a different one) because business men are so greedy, selfish and are the reason I couldn't go to school when I were a child.

The thread is actually good, because the missing dependencies are so annoying, I think all the content should be uploaded to websites, or in the same package as the route, to avoid this problem.

If you want, you can try to write in Russian with google translate in the threads, maybe they will help you :)

Oh, and acta is worse than SOPA, in the european union they are going to scan peoples computers for illegal content, ****ing pigs... :(

Back