Tennesee Valley Railroad GP7 avaliable?

Hello Piere,
Looks absolutely delicious. Must give it a go and thanks for the info.
So well done Piere, you got there in the end !!!!

Cheers, Ken

do you need a bump
map for the effects?

To be honest, I don't know whether you "need" the bump map. It just happens that, that's how this particular model was set up before I started experimenting with it.

On the chance that it might be helpful, I've done some more experimenting and can go through the basic steps I've tried. The model uses tbumpenv with a main texture and a bump file (or a "normal" file on other models?) which you can see in IME editor. The only thing I have adjusted in these tests is the bump file.

On the original model, the bump.bump.texture file was:
Primary=bump.tga
Alpha=bump.tga
Tile=st
NormalMapHint=normalmap

and it looks like this:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Next, I made a direct copy of the bump file and renamed it "bump1" and amended the text to:

Primary=bump.tga
Alpha=bump1.tga
Tile=st
NormalMapHint=normalmap

and it looked like this:

Straight away the colours are richer and it has a nice sheen to it.

Next, I converted the new bump1 file to greyscale, with the same text as above, and it looks like this:

Edit: It's a bit hard to tell in this shot, but it is shinier than the previous one in-game.

Next, I changed the text file to:

Primary=bump.tga
Alpha=bump1.tga
Tile=st
AlphaHint=semitransparent

and this is the reult:

No real change to be honest.

I then lightened the grey-scale bump1 file and got this:

More shine and pretty close to the model I ended up with before.

For completeness, this is the model I did before. I did play with the shine value in ime editor, but I don't know that it's much different to the one above, which was just the lightened, grey-scale bump1 file (which I also did on my version below).

I hope this helps anyone else who might want to muck around with these aspects of a model.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
Thank you, still trying to figure out to make a bump map in photoshop or gimp or what ever.

well here is first try, look as if need a bump map after all, kinda made my own, using just 3 colors(which might be the problem)

byUjNr1.jpg

the new back side is way to dark, not sure why?

setting i used, the frount is unmodifed.

NwDWxQJ.jpg

and some more playing around with it

yfSqGm9.jpg

9n6IZvS.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Fourteen.

I'm afraid I really don't know how to go about creating a bump (or normal?) map from scratch. I was lucky in that the model I started with was already set up that way.

The only thing I'm aware of is a feature in image2tga which allows you to create a normal map from the texture, but, again, I really don't know the specifics.

Also, having seen some comments in your other thread about this (i.e. that a "bump map" should be grey-scale and a "normal map" is in colour), I'm not sure which this model is. The file is called "bump.tga", but it is in colour. Again, I'm only (slightly) modifying what was there to begin with.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,
Piere.

that mesh i think is this one <kuid:135744:7> maybe or something like that one, been a while.

i.e. that a "bump map" should be grey-scale, most are in a blue color that i have seen

you been plenty of help and others on this thread.

Hello Piere and fourteen
You can create your own "bump/normal" maps using the original TGA.
Here's something i'm working on using edh6's FR Bolster Waggons-Tripple.

Make a clone of the original model and open.

Now in "1" using Images2TGA I've opened "bolster.tga" and from the file menu selected "Make Normal Map".

This gives me the blue map as shown in "2". Now not liking the Alpha map, I want to make my own, I delete it by right clicking on the black map and choosing "Remove Alpha Channel". That having been done I save the blue image as "bolsternormal.tga"
Now open up "bolsternormal.tga" in Paint.net (or whatever), choose "Adjustment" and go "Black and White". You now have a grey map to play with if needed, save it as "bolsternormal.BMP" so as not to overwrite the tga. Close the TGA without making any changes.

Now using "Images2TGA" combine the normal map "bolsternormal.tga" with the grey map "bolsternormal.bmp" as in"3"
Go File and right click and choose "Merge Alpha Image". You now have a normal map with alpha.

Use "TextureTXT.exe" to auto write the texture text file.

You may need to make the "bolsternormal.bmp" lighter or darker, that being the case re-combine it with the normal map in Images2TGA. You might need to "smooth" out parts of the normal map if the "sparkels" effect annoys such as rivets.

Cheers,Ken

got it to work thanks, have to mess with it some more. where is the Use "TextureTXT.exe" to auto write the texture text file. or is that a differnt program? is so where? thanks and tickles

what would cause this? it is 2 differnt files on one mesh, differnt shades of green and differnt effects. far as i can tell setting are same in the im editer

pYYjeJK.jpg

Last edited:
3 differnt setting on them. thing not liking is the panel lines pop out to much, made the bump map about 20% transparent on v3 version, still stand sout 2 much. is there a better way to do that? thanks.

VTpDHqG.jpg

zL7z42t.jpg

PjN9rwY.jpg

Try reversing the effect of the bump maps.
Take a colour sample of the "blue" map, convert to black and white, note how the lines stand out or don't stand out.
If they give the impression of standing out and you want the opposite effect then "invert colours" (noted that still in B&W).
See how it looks to the eye, now you have to bring it back to blue, create a new layer and fill this new layer with the sample of the blue you took earlier.
Using "Layers" work through the list to see what works, "reflections" if I remember.
See how the grey alpha looks, if it stands out then invert colours, it will probably seem darker, that's OK
Recombine every thing and see if any improvement.
Another way is to apply a "Gaussian Blur" to both bump maps at a low setting, that may reduce the stand out effect.

I presume you have Paint.Net.

It's all trail and error I'm afraid, what works on one model etc.

Cheers, evilcrow

yup what works on does not work an another one. and some meshs cant even get the bump file to show up, others it is to pronounced

Back