T:ANE - not buying it

Hi everybody.

Shane, undoubtedly what you are referring to there in your last paragraph are gaming sites, populated by gamers, who post those reviews.

Why would those gamers wish to post negative reviews unless they feel it is genuinely warranted?

There are plenty of positives reviews of other software posted on those sites, which without doubt demonstrates a reasonable balance with regard to those carrying out the reviews.

Bill

Thankyou for your response Bill. In most cases, reviews are genuine although in some instances some reviews, for whatever reason, are not 100% reliable. This is in general, and not just for train simulators.

Shane

...Please inform yourself well before making the choice so you know what you can expect. Learn which reviews to ignore and which to trust. On some sites it is popular to bash a product, on some sites it is popular to praise it. Find some neutral ground. Also check what version of the product they are review; the current version is not good, but if the reviews are based on CE or pre-CE versions, they will be more negative than needed...
In general, it seems that reviewers fall into one of two categories: Ravers and Bashers. Either they are fans of the products, or they feel cheated in some way. I myself must admit that, for most purchases, I am not inclined to comment unless I love it or hate it. The vast, satisfied customer base usually remains silent, and may require some incentive to respond if the company considers their input important.

And some ravers will bash a competitor's product just to start a flame war.

I have found the opinions posted in these forums interesting. Although there have been some intense scrutiny, and downright nasty comments made about T:ANE too, in general I must say I have rarely seen a more committed base of users whose expressed negativity tend to express disappointment in a product they wish to succeed rather than a company they wish to destroy.

As such, views need to be expressed in ways that will edify, and reach toward the end goal instead of crippling the company through too much bad press. N3V, I'm sure, will take the action on their part to listen to the complaints with a plan to remedy the issues.

Both sides have gotten extremely heated, a lot of which, in my opinion, is for good reason. The sad fact is that no matter how much evidence someone provides to the contrary to someone else's opinion, the holder of the aforementioned opinion tends to just retrench with a new argument to combat the opposing ideology. To put it plainly, nothing is getting done because a lot of the time it would seem that people refuse to listen. This, coupled with some pretty subpar management decisions and poor handling of the situation by the higher ups leads to needless bickering and infighting. What we SHOULD be doing is accepting that the game is critically flawed and helping out to try and see if we can prod N3V to actually be bothered to fix the problems with their game.

Unfortunately, the responses by the brass have led many of us to believe that N3V is only concerned with making a profit, and not actually producing a working game. Hopefully we will be proven wrong, but I'm not so sure.

All of the negativity stems from N3Vs approach to the majorly botched catastrophe that is T:ANE, and their attempts (in my opinion) to pass it off as everything going according to plan. Why should we express our views in such a way as to put N3V and T:ANE in a good light (this brings me back to the point about all of the people who aren't part of this scope who agree that T:ANE is a steaming pile, and are voicing their opinions on outlets such as Steam and Amazon, but that's another discussion), when it's pretty much getting the general reception it deserves? There aren't any free handouts around here, the game's gotta earn the reputation itself, and I doubt that many people are going to have much sympathy for a company that so clearly didn't deliver what was promised at all no matter how much it's sugarcoated. No, this is N3V's problem, and N3V has to fix it by actually following through on their promises for once and producing the revolutionary new game that we were falsely sold.

Not to repeat it

A mod's thought for Jackson and B. Franklin:

Dear trainzer,

Let me express something I think aloud.

Would you allow somebody to tell such a harsh nagging at you at your home? Even Beeh Franklin wouldn't, I assure you. Please re-think about some unacceptable terms you used at others' home, thank you very much. Maybe the Edit Post option would do...

.​
The good-will side of Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
As I said before, that's my opinion. Sorry if I didn't sugarcoat it, but that's not the way I usually tend to do things.

I'm sure that people had plenty of things to say about America after it was first founded, and seeing as Ben Franklin was the first ambassador to France, not all of it may have been as he would have liked to hear it. Being the brilliant mind that he was, he learned from the criticism, he didn't dismiss it. One has to be able to take criticism in all shapes and forms, and to state that the claims that I (and others) have made lack significance because of mere wording misses the point entirely.

I'm not going to rethink or rephrase my statements. They are as they come, so think what you will of them. You obviously understood my point, so to harp on such a trivial thing in the broad scope of the issue is detracting from the main conversation.

To put it even more bluntly: N3V screwed up big time, people aren't happy, N3V is acting as if everyone is happy, the unhappy people feel that their voice isn't heard, they voice their opinions instead of voting with their feet. A bit of criticism is much better than people voting with their wallets, even though the latter is starting to happen on an ever increasing scale.

If I didn't care I wouldn't be typing this.

Last edited:
Even though jacksonbarno's way of expressing himself is distracting from the conversation, claiming that there is nothing wrong is also a bit of a stretch. Not for nothing we're working hard in the Dev forum to iron out some of the bugs and that a big hotfix and service pack are in the works.

...Not for nothing we're working hard in the Dev forum to iron out some of the bugs and that a big hotfix and service pack are in the works...

Nice way to go, Martin. Others can result in unnecessary useless too blunt rudeness.

The also-blunt side of Alberte :wave:

Eh, it's not so much rudeness as getting right to a point that some people don't like too much.

We've been hearing about the HF/SP for a while now, and while I'd love to believe that it could become a reality, a lot of us see the progress being as such:

||-|-----------------------||

Dismissing people's complaints as a rival company paying a review aggregate service (or people themselves) to tarnish a game that is proven to be the definition of faulty is just the most recent in a long line of attempts for a company (or in this case it's loyal followers) to shed itself of the bad name that it's incomplete job has given it. Seriously, we were sold a game, not a pile of open source code tied together with a slightly updated engine. We all know that it's far from the best to have produced by the brew crew, and we all know that it was marketed as the best thing since sliced bread. The discrepancy between what was promised/expected and what was produced is stunning... and the company still hasn't acknowledged it.

Also, Matt: there's a difference between the names Alberta and Alberte... the former is female and the latter is male (correct me if i'm wrong but from my understanding of Spanish and the Romance Languages, this almost always seems to be the case). So erm... Yeah, that's a thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Also, Matt: there's a difference between the names Alberta and Alberte... the former is female and the latter is male (correct me if i'm wrong but from my understanding of Spanish and the Romance Languages, this almost always seems to be the case). So erm... Yeah, that's a thing.

[Absolutely deeply off-topic, and I shouldn't] :hehe:

Alberte is the Galician male name for Albert. :p But since the 21st century is women's century for sure, I would mind being Alberta.

helping out to try and see if we can prod N3V to actually be bothered to fix the problems with their game

It is clear what you think we AREN'T doing, but I wonder what you think we ARE doing?

Anyway, just in case you didn't know, we are working on improving TANE, right now, and we have been since Day 1. Here in
this link is the lengthy list of things addressed so far with more to come. It would seem to me this is clear evidence we are working on fixing issues.

For further clarity, we know that there are people that have issues - we can read and of course we accept the need to fix issues. Again, why you think we just ignore this and stick our head in the sand is bewildering.

However, I think you also miss the point that people have very few problems and find TANE way better than previous Trainz incarnations. I use TANE most days and TS12 occasionally and the two are chalk and cheese for me (on a low spec GTX560machine).

We are working on a benchmark test that can quantify for us the exact differences so that we can replace "it's broken" with "x% of people have and issue with feature Y".

Since you have made the offer to help, it would be great if you could add your issues to the list that we have created via completing THIS FORM.

Again, this will assist us greatly in determining what the statement "
majorly botched catastrophe" means in terms of actual code or content fixes that can be passed to a development team member to fix.

It is clear what you think we AREN'T doing, but I wonder what you think we ARE doing?

Anyway, just in case you didn't know, we are working on improving TANE, right now, and we have been since Day 1. Here in
this link is the lengthy list of things addressed so far with more to come. It would seem to me this is clear evidence we are working on fixing issues.

For further clarity, we know that there are people that have issues - we can read and of course we accept the need to fix issues. Again, why you think we just ignore this and stick our head in the sand is bewildering.

However, I think you also miss the point that people have very few problems and find TANE way better than previous Trainz incarnations. I use TANE most days and TS12 occasionally and the two are chalk and cheese for me (on a low spec GTX560machine).

We are working on a benchmark test that can quantify for us the exact differences so that we can replace "it's broken" with "x% of people have and issue with feature Y".

Since you have made the offer to help, it would be great if you could add your issues to the list that we have created via completing THIS FORM.

Again, this will assist us greatly in determining what the statement "
majorly botched catastrophe" means in terms of actual code or content fixes that can be passed to a development team member to fix.

I think the dust is settling and

we are getting a clearer idea of TANE, hopefully you can get a new service pack or patch out before Christmas and rack some cash in. At the moment the list of undocumented features is too long to see if a problem is being fixed or unknown. Win 10 appears to be slightly different apparently the N3V importer most recent version has issues but the older version works fine going from Blender to TANE, that might be worth spending some time on to keep the content creators happy.

Cheerio John

Back