Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

still trailing at the rear of the train, 2-8-2 Mikado 2517 rumbles across the bridge as the the steam engine's reflection can be seen off of the water.

Last edited:
Im not telling you how to run your railroad. I am saying something from my own knowledge. Heck I run a N&W A Class in modern era.

oh sorry about that, I just wanted to run steam power in the modern period because my railroad does not like diesel power both on the tracks and owned.

Look, we all have our own opinions and based on my prior knowledge. I have not heard or seen of any steam engines operating in revenue service. I only knew of UP 844 operating in revenue service in the very early 1960s.

yeah that's true and she was the only one that has never been retired.

I do not think steamers ran in revenue service in the 1980s

Intentional or not your comment comes off as rude and unnecessary. Its his railroad, he can do whatever he wants. Its Trainz, realism can be thrown aside in a video game.

In the USA many railroads still use steam for revenue service. The best example is probably the Strasburg Railroad which does haul freight trains on occasion down its trackage. The Union Pacific has been known to assign 844 and 3985 on freight trains too, and most likely 4014 will pull freight trains as a publicity stunt once it has been restored. There are tons of videos across Youtube of restored steam locomotives heading freight trains, including your N&W A. Across the seas China continued to utilize steam as its main source of transportation until the late 1980s and still does to this day even after diesels and electrification. Believe it or not, North Korea still relies heavily on steam power as well. Lastly, British Rail has contracted steam preservation groups to run special goods services on the main line as well.

So yes steamers did run in revenue service in the 1980s, and 1990s, and 2000s, and 2010s.

Intentional or not your comment comes off as rude and unnecessary. Its his railroad, he can do whatever he wants. Its Trainz, realism can be thrown aside in a video game.

In the USA many railroads still use steam for revenue service. The best example is probably the Strasburg Railroad which does haul freight trains on occasion down its trackage. The Union Pacific has been known to assign 844 and 3985 on freight trains too, and most likely 4014 will pull freight trains as a publicity stunt once it has been restored. There are tons of videos across Youtube of restored steam locomotives heading freight trains, including your N&W A. Across the seas China continued to utilize steam as its main source of transportation until the late 1980s and still does to this day even after diesels and electrification. Believe it or not, North Korea still relies heavily on steam power as well. Lastly, British Rail has contracted steam preservation groups to run special goods services on the main line as well.

So yes steamers did run in revenue service in the 1980s, and 1990s, and 2000s, and 2010s.

thanks for that, I am not trying to be mean and rude it is just that I don't like it when someone tries to tell me how a fictional railroad is run.

Last edited:
Trainz is like a model railroad where the person building it can run whatever they want on it.

For instance, I like to run European and American locomotives alongside each other and Trainz is the only game where I can do that freely.

Last edited:
Trainz is like a model railroad where the person building it can run whatever they want on it.

For instance, I like to run European and American locomotives alongside each other and Trainz is the only game where I can do that freely.

that's true, thanks for that!

UP5521 I was not trying to tell you how to run your fictional railroad. I really do not care. All I said was I do not think any steam engines operated in revenue service during the 80s. I did not know that some steam engines did operate in revenue service. Why is that so hard to understand?

I own and run my railroad the way I want to, I named it and I chose to run steam because they don't want diesel power on their tracks, as a matter of fact, my railroad despises them anyway and refuses to own any.

In VIctoria, Australia, we had regular freight trains hauled by steam trains in 1991, for driver training purposes. Linky

We had revenue passenger trains run by steamers until about 2003. Vid Here. They ran a 360 mile return trip several times a week

However, no railway interested in turning a profit would keep steam trains. Just sayin'. You do you though

Jamie

In VIctoria, Australia, we had regular freight trains hauled by steam trains in 1991, for driver training purposes. Linky

We had revenue passenger trains run by steamers until about 2003. Vid Here. They ran a 360 mile return trip several times a week

However, no railway interested in turning a profit would keep steam trains. Just sayin'. You do you though

Jamie

I had no idea about how that worked but seeing how things are different from where you are, I'll keep that in mind.

From Australia as well, 1987 saw the South Maitland Railways (owned by Coal and Allied) revenue steam freight service (outside of driver training) in Australia with SMR 10 class #30 on the 22 September 1987.

Additionally, the ACE3000 tests were undertaken in the 1980s in the US. These tests actually showed, at the time, that steam could cost less than diesel in terms of fuel and maintenance. The right design of steam loco could also resolve crew hours, however this would in turn not be a traditional steam locomotive (traditional motion gear, but a 'carbody' design with a modern 'package boiler' that allowed for 1 man operation of the locomotive).

Recent discussions with people from Puffing Billy Railway in Victoria, Australia, has actually highlighted that the maintenance costs of their steam locos are lower than their diesels, although this could be a 'per mile' figure. Fuel costs per mile are similar, with coal currently slightly cheaper from what I've heard. They've also costed oil firing (and are working to fit one loco with an oil burner), and this is substantially more expensive per mile. However is potentially going to allow steam to run through the 'forest' section (Lakeside to Gembrook) during summer, due to the decreased risk of fires starting from the locomotive.

The railway has also found that building a new NA class is actually cheaper than having a new diesel built (NA estimated around 2.5-4 million AUD last I heard). The thing that stopped steam on most private railways was boilers, and crew hours. You will be paying for a crew for approximately 6 hours light up (depending on loco, and if it's kept in steam 24/7), and around 1-2 hours to shut down at the end. That's 8 hours down time (note, you only need a lightup fireman for lightup, and he can theoretically light up multiple locos as needed).

If you want to play further with the idea of 'revenue steam' for the 80s/90s/2000s/2010s, form a core fleet of later build (40s/50s) steam locos, with the idea that they received new boilers in the late 50s. Then add in some 'borrowed' locos from heritage groups (to provide variety; and to allow enthusiasts to see their favorites of freight services!), and then maybe look at having some 'restored' locos in the later period.

For a bit of interest, you could also 'allocate' a few locos to have MU capabilities with diesels (see the video of R711 that H222 posted; this loco has a control stand fitted for this very purpose). This would then allow you to potentially add some second hand (1st, 2nd, and 2.5nd generation using this list: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...uot-of-diesel-locomotives&p=298218#post298218 depending on the year ) diesel locomotives as helper units on some trains as needed (especially looking at this from a 'summer' period).

Regards
Zec

Back before I had the T&E, I had the AS&S (Albany Susquehanna & Southern) which was a Class 1 that regularly used steam and diesel into present day.

Here we see a 4-6-4 assisting a stalled freight consisting of a GP33ECO, and 2 Bicentennial SD40-2's.

c42a58541c3bbf8f52b92bff626dfa25.jpg

a9c61b781924064b8e2efd5896ff86b0.jpg

Back