Southlines 2014 -- An update of an old Route

tomtre

Hi Everyone

I have been told that Southlines 2014 kuid<2:4801:100087:1> has been approved and is at the download station.

This is a modest update of Southlines 2004, which is now a little over 10 years old. The route is based on a part of the Sydney Melbourne Mainline in southern NSW. Much to my surprise it was downloaded many times (errors and all) and other map creators made additional maps allowing longer runs to be made.
Life moved on and I didn’t have time for trainz, aside from an occasional quick look at the forum and buying the new versions in case I ever had a chance to “get back into it”. A little over a year ago I installed Trainz 12, downloaded whatever service packs were available at that stage, found a disc here at home which had my routes on it, and took Southlines for a drive.
I was pleasantly surprised that it still ran and it didnt look too bad so I decided that since I had a bit of spare time that a slight update was in order.
Since then I have spent a lot of time searching the forums to find answers to my questions about how things are done now, and when I found an answer that worked I used that solution, even if that is not the most efficient or elegant way to do things. And when things broke I searched again and found other ways to do what I wanted to do. I added patchs to the game as they came up and kept on playing with things.
I would like to thank all the people who have shared their knowledge here in this forum. Without them this update would not have been possible. They have been a huge help, I learned much from reading discussions as from reading replies to other peoples previous requests for the same things I wanted to know.
Funny how the spare time disappeared.

So now there is Southlines 2014. There have been a few changes.
This is still a pre DEM route, so it is mostly 1 baseboard wide. The map was originally built by tracing essential features and heights onto a 720x720 grid laid over topographic maps and then adjusting to fit the NSEW alignment of Trainz. The landscaping was done with the in game tools. I think I got better as I went along but the initial roughness is still there. (I started about a week after the release of Trainz, and there were not a lot of tutorials at the time) The yard layouts came from NSW Track and Signal Diagrams from ARHS, the disc doesn’t work in modern Windows so I cant check things but I have changed things esp signals to try to make Trainz AI run easier. So it isn’t exactly what you could call a prototype map.
All the mistakes are proudly my own work.

More to come...

Southlines 2014 Continued

The major change is that my two previous routes Southlines Four (kuid<4801:20044>) and Monteagle (kuid<4801:20045>) are now merged. (and Monteagle is finished, it was a rush job to link with FootPlate Phil’s Weddin map, and I just didn’t have the time to get it right back then)
All (I hope) of the old double track has been replaced with paired single track (S301 track, thank you Sir) so if you have a preferred track type you can swap it. I probably should have used different track in different places but there is a limit to what I was prepared to do.
I have now used Semaphore signals through the map. They were not available when the map was first made. The signals are from several content creators, some of the NSW signals made by Natvander are unfortunately broken in TS12 so I have used some british LQ signals by chrisaw. Thanks to both of them.
I have added some more buildings to the town areas to make them look a bit more urban. I have used the ATLS rules from boat (many thanks for those) to control level crossing gates in some places, trains can now stop and shunt near the gates and road traffic can proceed.
There are industries added at various places (named INDwhatever as destinations) They are not configured in any particular way, I am using for myself a lot of older NSW Trainz 2004-2006 rolling stock from the DLS which is not industry enabled so I have to place it and pretend the loading is happening. (Actually drive off and come back later)
At the extremities of the map I have removed the loops. There is now track almost to the edge of undecorated baseboards for joining onto other peoples maps and I wrote the name to the other map at the join edge. I have added extra track to portals on these baseboards which I am using for my sessions. I have also added iportals, I don’t know how they work and have not used them but they are there if anyone wants them. (it seemed like a good idea at the time) There are also some fiddle yards at the extremities for my session, I was using portals to make trains for the session but Trainz seems to lose the numbering of saved consists so the session now starts from track on the map.
As with the original maps, there are tracking cameras (keyboard 3) most of the way.
There are a lot of other changes which I cant think of now. I guess you people will tell me the bits I got wrong.

More to come....

Session Southlines in the Morning 7 kuid<2:4801:100126:1>

I have made a session to go with the map. Learning the rules so to speak. It is an AI sit back and watch kind of session and runs for a couple of hours. It is very loosely based on the Working Timetable of about 1960, the Steam /Diesel transition.
I do mean very loosely. I soon realised that the WTT was a much bigger task than I could manage so now the session is as you see it. Trains run at various times and stop and shunt and do stuff. It is a sit back and watch session at this stage, about 10 AI trains in the game at any time, shunting, waiting or just rolling along. Keep checking the driver list and remember you can use the keyboard 3 view, there are tracking cameras most of the route.
As mentioned earlier I have run the session from “fiddle yards” rather than the portals because Trainz doesnt seem to be remembering loco numbers with saved consists in the current version and the loco numbers really make the locos look better. The content creators went to a lot of trouble to make the locos and rolling stock for us to use and they are the first thing people look at so I have tried to make them look their best. I have used mostly NSW rolling stock and locos to fit the early 60's. Some of the rolling stock I have used in the session isn’t performing in Trainz 12 as it was designed for earlier versions, so you may have to use your imaginations to put loads in them. I have made so little content that I can hardly harass the original creators to update stuff just to suit me.
Speaking of content creators, CMP tells me there are approx. 900 dependencies on the map, and over 170 dependencies in the session. This map would not have happened without the content creators who made these items, all the way back to Trainz 1. I can only say thank you once again to those people who have taken the time to make all the bits and pieces that make maps and sessions possible and then freely shared them with the rest of the world.
Space does not permit me to list you all here but I must say that without all of your scenery, rolling stock and rules and scripts I would not have attempted this upgrade to the map and the session would have remained a fantasy.

Thank you one and all.
Enjoy

Finally (for now) there is a small extra map.

Cunningar Gap kuid 4801:100120

This is a small map for people who want to join Southlines 2014 to the map Galong to Boorowa revised by ntesdorf. <kuid 224165:2206>
It is just a few baseboards to bring the heights in line, it fits to the east of Harden on southlines and to the SW corner of Galong to boorowa. If you are merging PGibbons boorowa map to southlines you wont need this, Peters map meets at the same height.
There is another thread on the forum explaining how the routes can be connected, Southlines 2014 now can be connected directly to Footplate Phil's Weddin to the north, to peter's (Pgibbons) Bethungra South west of Cootamundra and his Tumut line South East of Cootamundra and either direct to Pgibbons Boorowa map east of Harden or using Cunningar Gap to bridge to Galong to Boorowa revised. There is a bit of track fiddling to do at the joins but nothing major.
Once again thanks to all the other content creators. It was seeing all of your fine work that encouraged me to come back.

Enjoy the drive

Hi,

I have downloaded Southlines and Southlines in the Morning 7 session. I have found that in the session I have a lot of missing schedules in the Schedule Library and some of the driver commands show in the Russian language when trying to apply to a driver though no Russian language shows in the Driver Commands. Can you help?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I used the Russian decouple command, I cant remember the KUID, Im not sure if it came installed or from DLS but it seems to work reliably provided you have the train direction correct (and steam loco and tender are 2 vehicles). I think my reason for using it was that it allows more than 10 vehicles in the train. There is probably another rule somewhere but that is the one I found which worked and I got used to using it.
Can you tell me which schedules are missing please? I don't know if anyone else has had problems, maybe everyone else thought it was a piece of ____ and deleted it.
I originally uploaded to preview area of DLS, deleted it here (after backup of course) and downloaded and installed it again and it all seemed to work. I had wanted to be sure the consists and everything were packaged before I released it.
I will have another look over the weekend.
Tom

Tom,

What is interesting is that the decouple command on my desktop is in English in the Driver Command Menu but shows up as Russian when trying to add a command to a driver and as a tooltip when installed. However, on my laptop it is all in English! Figger that out.

Missing schedules are:

All schedules for drivers Bald and Christian.

Ami - SL Train 338 Monteagle Shunt
Café - SL Train 417 Stage 2, SL Train 417 Griffith Goods Stage 3
Damon - SL Train 5 Temora Mail Coot Uncouple, SL Train T008 Cootamundra Day Shunt Stage 2, SL Train T008 Pass Run
Harry - SL Train 155 Young to Harden

I think that's all.

Geoff

Hi Geoff
I have noticed the same thing on my computer with the Russian command, luckily for me it is the only Russian command I have, so I can use it OK. It was baffling the first time I tried to find the decouple command setting up a driver though!
I am baffled by those missing schedules. The schedule library should include 5 schedules in the group Slitm 7 Bald and 3 in Christians group. There should be a total of 14 groups in the schedule library and a total of 48 schedules.
If you don't have them all perhaps you could delete the session and download it again just to see if it was a glitch in downloading. Or PM me your email (don't put it here) and I can send a cdp.
Did the session run until those drivers ran out of things to do and got in the way? (I am a little curious, yours is the first feedback)
I would like to get this sorted, if it is an issue with something I did wrong in the upload process, like leaving something out I will have to try to fix it.
Thanks for the feedback
Tom

Tom,

I had downloaded the session file a total of 3 times, the last just before I posted. There was no difference in the installed session. I will now PM you.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

PM received. Check your email. Thanks again for the feedback, I prefer to know about a problem so I can try to fix it. (No guarantee that I can of course)

Tom

Hi Tom,

I don't know if this is your problem and I'm going from memory here but there was a bug in the early versions of TS12 that caused the program not to include all the assets used by a route or session in the KUID table of the route or session. Creators would have a route or session that worked fine on their machine but users downloading the file from the DLS would not get all the dependencies because they were not listed. At the time the solution was to hand edit the KUID table in the config.txt to include the missing assets before uploading. I believe Philskene was the one that found the bug. He would know if it was fixed.
William

Hi William
Thanks for the feedback. I was about to ask if anyone else was having problems.
I do remember at one stage reading that I needed the Portal Dependency Rule <kuid2:116387:34:1> by Maggs to carry the consists and instruction used by portals to the DLS so I added that and then stopped using the portals to emit trains because of the numbering issue mentioned earlier. I am sure we will hear from Geoff later.
Thank you

Tom

Tom,

I installed the file you sent and noticed that it was the same size as the downloaded file. Sure enough there was no change – still missing all of the aforementioned schedules.

A little history. When I first installed Southlines I did into my existing TS12 installation, build 61388, containing many other routes. I had numerous problems other than the missing schedules. For instance I was missing “bogies” for the NSWGR GSV and RU wagons amongst others and this caused some consists not to load onto the map plus locos not coupling to consists etc. I found that the missing wheel sets were actually built in assets but nothing I did, including deleting Southlines and reinstalling, would make them show up even though I had no related missing assets. So I backed up my entire installation, deleted the lot and did a complete basic reinstall. I then downloaded Southlines route and session again and reinstalled. All assets showed up correctly this time but still no missing schedules. That is when I posted my comments.

Can you also check what happens after Café arrives at Cootamundra. After he carries out his move of taking the guards van to CootYards 4 Sth he then returns to attach to the rear of the consist left at CootYards 3 Sth. While he was making this move of the guards van, Christian has moved to 4835 at the front on the remaining consist. I find that when Café couples up he loses all of his remaining instructions as does Christian lose all of his. I have found that this always happens when I have instructed an AI driver to couple to the rear of a consist which contains another AI driver with other instructions. Does this happen with you?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

This has me baffled, to put it politely.
I am sure all the assets I used are on the DLS or built in. I checked. I know some of the rolling stock is old, but I wanted to keep the NSW look as much as possible, except I ended up using a british coal wagon set for driver Bald because for some reason the S trucks I started using don't keep their coal load in HF4 when saved loaded and instant load wouldn't make them look full either, and the whole idea of Balds train is to unload. Another Trainz mystery and not fixing your problem either.

I just ran through Café/Christian again to check it. The idea is that the double 48 arrives from the north, is split into 2 smaller consists and departs as 2 separate trains via Stockinbingal portal. All you have to do is watch. I have included the approximate times here. Café brings 4848 and 4835 into Coota siding 3 from the north. Café uncouples, runs around the train, couples to the guards van (7:13) and shunts the van to siding4 sth (7:16). While this is happening, Christian (who was waiting at Coota) takes over 4835,(7:11) uncouples, moves away and eventually couples to another guard van and couples it to what used to be the front of the train in siding 3 (Where he uncoupled from)(7:17) He then uncouples and moves to siding 2 and waits(7:20). Meanwhile café has coupled to what used to be the back of the train(7:21), splits it in about half and shunts his half of it to couple to the van previously placed at Coot4 sth(7:27). Café then goes to coota loco for a break. This leaves 2 short consists ready to be taken North west. Christian will couple to the one in siding 3 (7:35) and at 7:52 leaves to Stockinbingal for Forbes and later Café will take the other half (siding4) to Stockinbingal for Temora. And while this is happening there is a northbound (7:14) and southbound (7:20) through on the mainlines. And it still works here. Looking at it again tonight it occurred to me that I should have added some wagons to each train out of coota to be more realistic, but that's not helping you.

I have timed things so that there is only one driver is coupled to that train at any time because I have had the same issue as you with 2 drivers on the one train. That's why Christian is not in 4835 at the start.

I cant understand why you don't have all the schedules in the schedule library. If the file I sent you (which is what I am using here) is the same as the one you got from DLS and all the content is either in game or on DLS I really don't know. Just out of curiosity can you check the route and session in your content manager to filter for that please?
Don't go doing anymore reinstalls, maybe some others might have a better idea.

Sorry, Ive got to go now, work tomorrow.

Tom

Tom,

I am currently installing Trainz from scratch on my laptop and an old desktop to see if I have a different experience. I will let you know tomorrow what happens.

As for the Café/Christian situation I cannot run this as I do not have the schedules for Christian. As for all the content I believe everything is installed as CM does not report any missing dependencies and inspecting the asset dependencies of both route and scenario it appears that all have been installed. The following is a screen shot of the asset list of the scenario and the Schedule Library kuid is highlighted if this is of any help (actually not really as it is just the asset and naturally does not include any schedules).

Southlines in the Morning 7 Asset Dependencies.jpg

Geoff

Last edited:
Tom,

Installed clean Trainz with Southlines on both my laptop and old desktop and the situation is exactly as explained above with all of the same missing schedules.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Do you have schedules for any of the drivers when you open schedule library from edit session in surveyor? I have the same window as you in content manager with the same numbers and I cant understand why this is happening unless I have missed a rule or something needed to transfer the schedule library, which would have effected everyone downloading the session. I will have to chase the thread or bug report mentioned above about Phil Skenes routes. (He does good stuff, doesn't he).

In surveyor you should have 14 groups of schedules as follows.
-SL mainline 4 Schedules
-SL Steam 5 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Adair 2 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Ami 3 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Andrew 9 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Café 3 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Basti 1 "
-Slitm 7 Bald 5 "
-Slitm 7 Skip 2 "
-Slitm 7 Damon 6 "
-Slitm 7 Harry 3 "
-Slitm 7 Scott 1 "
-Slitm 7 Kenny 1 "
-Slitm 7 Christian 3 Schedules

So for now I am going to go and do some forum searching. Wish me luck:).

Tom

OK

A quick bit of searching has taught me I can have a second copy of Trainz on my computer. So as soon as I get a chance I will install and update a "clean" copy of Trainz and download map and session from DLS and see what happens.
Thanks everyone (especially Geoff) for your patience
Remind me to backup first, just in case.

Tom

In surveyor you should have 14 groups of schedules as follows.
-SL mainline 4 Schedules
-SL Steam 5 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Ami 3 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Café 3 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Basti 1 "
-Slitm 7 Bald 5 "
-Slitm 7 Skip 2 "
-Slitm 7 Damon 6 "
-Slitm 7 Harry 3 "
-Slitm 7 Scott 1 "
-Slitm 7 Kenny 1 "
-Slitm 7 Christian 3 Schedules

I have the 14 groups and my schedule count is:
-SL mainline 4 Schedules
-SL Steam 5 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Ami 2 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Café 1 Schedules
-Slitm 7 Basti 1 "
-Slitm 7 Bald 0 "
-Slitm 7 Skip 1 "
-Slitm 7 Damon 3 "
-Slitm 7 Harry 2 "
-Slitm 7 Scott 1 "
-Slitm 7 Kenny 1 "
-Slitm 7 Christian 0 Schedules

This repeats over the 3 installations I now have.

Good luck!
Geoff

Last edited:
Back