[solved] How to switch to HD Terrain within S2.0? [See #2 and additional #3]

ek.skirl

Maybe this is a stupid question that I havn't with wider eyes.
I created a new route to play around with S2.0 and HD Terrain. The route and sessions I try to have in HD Terrain to play with some grid distances under 5m. But I don't fopund the preferences to do so. Did I oversee somewhat?
P.S. Trainz+ standard membership is activ and Trainz+ build is 122411

When in S2.0, click on the spanner icon in the top left and then 'Upgrade Route'. This only works in S2.0 and doesn't appear as an option in Surveyor Classic. The route conversion should take around 30 seconds, depending on the size of the route.

Cheers,

PLP

Maybe this is a stupid question that I havn't with wider eyes.
I created a new route to play around with S2.0 and HD Terrain. The route and sessions I try to have in HD Terrain to play with some grid distances under 5m. But I don't fopund the preferences to do so. Did I oversee somewhat?
P.S. Trainz+ standard membership is activ and Trainz+ build is 122411
As far as I've seen, New Routes created in 122411 are HD by default. To convert an existing 5 or 10 meter route to HD, select the Upgrade Route item in the tools menu.
26RXz3j.png

To Convert a single baseboard, drag out a selection box in the desired baseboard and select "Convert Existing Baseboards to..." in the context menu and then select "HD Grid".

TP 122777 remembers which version of surveyor was active when you last closed surveyor or quit the game. If it was classic then Create Route opens with a 10m grid and if Surveyor 2.0 then Create Route opens with a HD terrain.

To Convert a single baseboard, drag out a selection box in the desired baseboard and select "Convert Existing Baseboards to..." in the context menu and then select "HD Grid".
It is NOT recommended that you mix HD Grid baseboards with 5/10m Grid baseboards. It should be all HD or all 5/10m. The reason is that the boundaries between HD baseboards and 5/10m baseboards will have "visual issues". The ability to add new baseboards in HD is provided for adding them to existing HD routes.

It is NOT recommended that you mix HD Grid baseboards with 5/10m Grid baseboards. It should be all HD or all 5/10m. The reason is that the boundaries between HD baseboards and 5/10m baseboards will have "visual issues". The ability to add new baseboards in HD is provided for adding them to existing HD routes.
You are correct. However, that was not always the case. I remember Tony suggesting the use of mixed baseboard sizes similar to mixing 5m and 10m baseboard very early in HD Terrain development when concerns about route sizes were expressed. However, the development team were never able to make it work without the issues you mentioned. The "Convert Existing Baseboards to..." command is probably a leftover from the original plan.

He asked how to do it, He didn't ask for an opinion on whether he should, or not...

He asked how to do it, He didn't ask for an opinion on whether he should, or not...
I don't see what your issue is. The post I responded to described how to add a HD Grid baseboard to a layout that was not HD. My answer simply stated that this (adding HD to non-HD) was not recommended.

Should I have not said anything at all and then one of his subsequent posts would, eventually, be "This is not working - how do I fix it?". He would have wasted time, effort and "peace-of-mind" discovering what he would have known if someone had just told him.

One of the often posted complaints about Trainz in these forums (apart from why doesn't it have this or that feature) is the lack of information and advice. But when you do post information and advice you get criticised.

I am calming down now and will be alright when I finish this glass of vintage red.

There's no option to upgrade any routes for me?? I'm in 2.0 and I've selected the baseboards and no option under the tools menu to 'Upgrade' ?? I also can't tell if the routes baseboards are either 5 or 10 grid, I can't figure that out! I'm trying to upgrade routes from 2004, 2006, Ultimate and a few other routes here and there for later versions under Trainz 2019.

Which build of Trainz Plus do you have? HD Terrain is only available in the latest builds - 122441 in my case.

Secondly, the "Upgrade" option works on the entire route, on all the baseboards. Selecting individual or groups of baseboards will not allow you to just "Upgrade" them.

You can use the Marquee Tool to select individual baseboards and then convert them to 10m, 5m or HD grid BUT it is not recommended that you mix HD grid baseboards with 5m or 10m baseboards.

See the Trainz Wiki page How to use the S20 Tools for more details.

Which build of Trainz Plus do you have? HD Terrain is only available in the latest builds - 122441 in my case.

Secondly, the "Upgrade" option works on the entire route, on all the baseboards. Selecting individual or groups of baseboards will not allow you to just "Upgrade" them.

You can use the Marquee Tool to select individual baseboards and then convert them to 10m, 5m or HD grid BUT it is not recommended that you mix HD grid baseboards with 5m or 10m baseboards.

See the Trainz Wiki page How to use the S20 Tools for more details.
I don't have Trainz Plus

I do have Trainz 2022 PE, which comes with Surveyor 2.0 and therefore it should have the option to upgrade route to HD terrain. Trainz 2022 PE build number 122427! This is the latest version via Steam as far as I can see, there's no other available updates..

I did use the Marquee tool to select the basebaords, just discovered how to convert the baseboards to 5 or 10 meter baseboards. But even after conversion, I don't see that option under the Tools menu to upgrade route to have HD terrain..? Maybe not yet available in Trainz 2022 PE, unless I'm proven wrong!

Back