Silver or Gold Engines

Chadd04

Knuckle Shuffling
I was looking at some model railroader magazines today when I saw an add for Atlas. It was talking about their Silver and Gold engine series. I got the thinking and wondered if JRs could do the samething? Atlas breaks theirs down by engines that have or don't have sound. I was thinking maybe JRs could do it based on how detailed an engine is. Maybe the Silver series would include engines that didn't have custom cabs or prototype details such as bell location or other small details. I figure this would be a nice addition to JRs. It would allow people who just want nice looking engines for there routes but are not rivet counters or ones who often use cab control. It might also allow JRs to get content out faster that would normal take longer due to the extra details needed to make an accuate model. Any thoughts?

In a sense we do now as there are price differences for the models with full cabs and features. I don't think we have ever purposely left a detail out of place or not applied something they should have.

It would probably make more work if we offered releases of locomotives along side the same locomotive with more features, so that probably wont be done.

If we charged the price that Atlas does for their model lines then it might be something to consider, but the difference would be hard to account for at our prices.

Ok it was just an idea. The way I was looking at it is take your new Gp50 model. Lets say you've got the "base" modeling done. Now you take and make a bunch of skins for it not making changes based on real gp50s. These engines hit the market early and those who want them get them. Those who want prototypical engines wait for you to finish the cab and arrange details to match specific locomotives. You may even add a feature of upgrading (for a small price) to the gold series for those who buy the silver series and decide the want the higher end model. (keep in mind I do not model or skin so I make some of my assumtions based on logic/common sense)

Another thing is most of us at JR are detail guys... I personally would find it harder to knowingly release something with incorrect details than to make the necessary changes.

Back