Should telephone poles be placed a uniform distance from roadways?

According to AASHTO, they like to recommend a "clear zone" of ten feet beyond the edge of the pavement that is free of obstructions, although this is not always possible. In towns where you have a curb, 18 inches should be the minimum kept clear from the face of curb.

Based upon my personal observance, the American standard for placing line poles seems to be to place them in as nearly a straight line as possible. In my experience, if the road curves around the base of a hill, it's common for the line of poles to go in a straight line over the top of the hill. On a rural two lane highway, they tend to be near the edge of the right-of-way, and sometimes on their own easement along the right-of-way on adjacent property.

ns

Who cares?!? Dang, why do you guys need everything to be so perfect? Nobody is gonna measure your telephone poles to make sure they're in the right place! And if they do, they're nuts!

Who cares?!? Dang, why do you guys need everything to be so perfect? Nobody is gonna measure your telephone poles to make sure they're in the right place! And if they do, they're nuts!

I agree!

Did you know there are 16 nails on the side of..... :)

I place stuff so it looks right. If it's convincingly place, doesn't look weird or out of place, then I'm good to go.

John

I dunno. I've been measuring the pole locations on every route I download; gonna develop a pole accuracy index to measure route quality. I should have it ready for trainz-build 5.9.

I dunno. I've been measuring the pole locations on every route I download; gonna develop a pole accuracy index to measure route quality. I should have it ready for trainz-build 5.9.

Is this going to be multi-textured with various gauges based upon whether these are AT&T or ITT phone poles, as well as include gauges for proper placement of general utility and power lines as well?

:)

Being of Polish extraction myself, I find the tenor of this tread somewhat abusive. A Pole knows darn right well where it stands, and will not tolerate careless placement!

In Australia (and this may be the case in other countries) ....according to Pythagoras's theory a pole should stand perpendicular to it's base at 45 degrees and only have a +- of 2-5 degrees (this may vary in windy areas to up 10 - 20 degrees or more) - poles should also be uniform in height and width and generally of a rounded appearance with a metal hat cap on top to stop all the rot.

As far as placement goes there is no set convention and a make it fit approach is used in Australia (preferably on someone's lawn with a bright light attached to annoy the occupants of said home.

They are also generally placed as close to a roadway on no particular side to ensure motorist can hit them quite easily, and far enough apart to allow for multiple side swipes thus causing maximum damage and ensuring local residents have 6 to 8 hours without power.

The above is based on my personal experience in this area and is in no way meant to be a guide for trainz users.

Has anyone thought of making a pole farm asset - you know, the place where they grow the telegraph poles like in the shot below? I think I have seen a few of these in Poland.

Last edited:
Now that's something I've never seen before, thought they were just made out of "regular" trees. Over here most of our overland communications and powerlines are steel.

Mississippi & Alabama are the US largest producers of tele-o-phone poles, and they grow straight and have very few branchs, and they have huge plantation farms, of millions of them, for miles and miles ... Wisconsin has the largest toothpick tree plantations.

I can understand that it is important to place poles 10' from a highways edge, and that is highly important ... as 75 y/o oak trees never jump outa' the way, from careening pickup trucks, on dark county roads !

Texas is the US largest producer of rice :hehe:

Last edited:
Well, we all know Wisconsin has toothpick trees.........................................DUUH! They're one of the largest producers of cheese in the Planet. What else would people use toothpicks for!
Pathagarean Therum : A>2 + B>2 =C>2...............
The sum of the squares of the sides of a right triange = the square of the hypotentuse.
Experience tells me anything that was set as a normal to the terrain in the Western Hemisphere was long ago knocked out of whack. That included tel-o-phone poles as well as toothpick trees.
LUCKILY for us....................................Trainz does not reflect those inconsistantcies relying soley on the mathematical algorithms accumulated to date.
And we don't want to hear any "hypotenuses don't grow here" jokes!

With all due respect Sir:
"These thirteen States" are the only states mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.
I'll give a piece of glass. I'll draw the lines on the sidewalk....................................do ya' really want to play Hop-Scotch at this point?

In Australia (and this may be the case in other countries) ....according to Pythagoras's theory a pole should stand perpendicular to it's base at 45 degrees and only have a +- of 2-5 degrees (this may vary in windy areas to up 10 - 20 degrees or more) - poles should also be uniform in height and width and generally of a rounded appearance with a metal hat cap on top to stop all the rot.

As far as placement goes there is no set convention and a make it fit approach is used in Australia (preferably on someone's lawn with a bright light attached to annoy the occupants of said home.

They are also generally placed as close to a roadway on no particular side to ensure motorist can hit them quite easily, and far enough apart to allow for multiple side swipes thus causing maximum damage and ensuring local residents have 6 to 8 hours without power.

The above is based on my personal experience in this area and is in no way meant to be a guide for trainz users.

Up here in the colder climates, they attach electro-magnets which are switched on when the roads are icy. This is to ensure that cars are attracted to the poles so as to 1) total the vehicle and give the insurance companies extra money through surcharge points, because they always blame the motorist so they can issue these and collect the extra deductible costs too. 2) To ensure the lights go out when you want to watch something on TV that you've been waiting for to be on for months.

John

John, your charges implicitly state a 'CONSPIRACY'! Now I know darn right well there are 'Ice Maidens" out there who protect our well being.
Usually I find them in the snow at the side of the road in sparkling short skirts singing "Do Ya Want To Dance" and slinging a hip!
Darling little things.........................................non-magnetic , ya' know!
C'mon John,................no one believes in magnetic poles..............................why that's dumb!

Back