Saving/backing up a new route

ccowan2126

I am currently working in TS12 build 61388 on my first TransDEM generated route and I have the track laid out and tweaked to where I want it. I have recently backed up my ENTIRE Trainz userdata folder to my external HDD. Being as how that backup took several hours to process, what is the best procedure to save/backup the new TransDEM route to the external HDD? Should I copy and paste the entire userdata folder again (that is how I did the first backup) , or perhaps just the route itself? Can I save just the route to a CDP and copy and paste that? Not sure what the BEST procedure should be.

Thanks, in advance, for any input.

What I do is archive the route and dependencies every now and than and save that to an external HD. Just right-click on the route in Content Manager and select "archive".

I am currently working in TS12 build 61388 on my first TransDEM generated route and I have the track laid out and tweaked to where I want it. I have recently backed up my ENTIRE Trainz userdata folder to my external HDD. Being as how that backup took several hours to process, what is the best procedure to save/backup the new TransDEM route to the external HDD? Should I copy and paste the entire userdata folder again (that is how I did the first backup) , or perhaps just the route itself? Can I save just the route to a CDP and copy and paste that? Not sure what the BEST procedure should be.

Thanks, in advance, for any input.

You can save your TD route to a CDP. Remember to backup the Session too so there are no missing dependencies. Just keep in mind that if you delete your route from your install and then create other assets, your route KUID might overwrite what's installed. I ran into this recently and had to fiddle with content because I had the same KUIDS. This is more of a problem with really old stuff if you've since deleted and created new stuff in between.

You might be interested in running a file copy program called fastcopy. http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en The program is free, don't be alarmed by the website, it's safe!

With Fast Copy you can setup what is called a differential backup which will only copy over, to the same folder, content that has been updated or added. This will cut your backup time down from several hours to only a few minutes at the most. Fast Copy will also skip over that stupid Calculating message which takes forever before the actual copy process starts.

John

What I do is archive the route and dependencies every now and than and save that to an external HD. Just right-click on the route in Content Manager and select "archive".

What does "archive" actually do? How do I "save" an archived file to my external HDD?

Thanks.

P.S. I am not the most computer savvy individual (i.e. "idiot")

You might be interested in running a file copy program called fastcopy. http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en The program is free, don't be alarmed by the website, it's safe!

With Fast Copy you can setup what is called a differential backup which will only copy over, to the same folder, content that has been updated or added. This will cut your backup time down from several hours to only a few minutes at the most. Fast Copy will also skip over that stupid Calculating message which takes forever before the actual copy process starts.

John

So I just download the Fast Copy app and then just copy and paste the UserData file like I did before and the Fast Copy program will do the rest?

What does "archive" actually do? How do I "save" an archived file to my external HDD?
Try it. You will be asked if you also want to archive dependencies.
All you want to archive will be listed in a window on the left-hand side. You will find a save button there and can save it to where every you want.
To move it back, double click the archive.
i.e. "idiot"
Idiots don't ask questions.

Try it. You will be asked if you also want to archive dependencies.
All you want to archive will be listed in a window on the left-hand side. You will find a save button there and can save it to where every you want.
To move it back, double click the archive.

Thanks. I will try that!

So I just download the Fast Copy app and then just copy and paste the UserData file like I did before and the Fast Copy program will do the rest?

Pretty much. This is basically a copy-data program so there's no compressed data which requires special backup software, however, using the differential settings, such as date and time, you can skip over already copied items and save time. Give it a try.

John

Back