Running Trainz 12 on widescreen HD monitor in 1920x1080?

d0g

Hello all,

My 9-year-old flatscreen monitor just bit the dust today; luckily I had an old Dell in the closet to make do until I get a new one. I am not very interested in upgrades... When I find something that works with no issues and suits my needs, I keep it until I need to replace it. (I also have a 5-year old dumb-phone, and this computer replaced a 5-year-old custom build.) I have been looking at various big-box retail store websites, and I have only been able to find wide-screen HD monitors.

I am particularly interested in a 23" widescreen with a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. I was running my system and Trainz in 1280x1024 until the death of my monitor. I'm running Trainz 12 in two separate installations, one pre-SP1 and one SP1. 1280x1024 worked perfect with the old monitor, as it was its' native resolution. I was reading somewhere on the forums that with previous versions of Trainz, you could modify a file to allow the game to run in a higher resolution than is listed in the default list in the options menu. Is that still a possibility with Trainz 12?

Is stretching or distortion an issue? I've never used a widescreen, and have heard conflicting things on both sides. I use Trainz, MSTS/Open Rails, Train Simulator 2015, and Ship Simulator. Given that I use this system for gaming, if a widescreen HD is not optimal for those games/simulators, I would rather search for a conventional flatscreen that is compatible.

I have an AMD FX8320 processor, an AMD Radeon R9 270x graphics card, and 8 GB RAM. I know this GPU is compatible with the 1920x1080 resolution, but have heard it can decrease system performance. With these simulators, can I expect significant drop in performance from what I'm used to with the conventional monitor? I have almost all graphics settings set to maximum, or very near it, and experience very minimal stuttering.

Sorry for the long post... Just trying to get a feel for what to do here. Any insight is appreciated. :)

You should be fine with the higher resolution on wide screen. You just need to change the settings the way you did in the settings of TS12, as you did before. It wouldn't require anything like a file changed.

Back