Routes and driver commands

bobill

I enjoy exploring newly downloaded routes with TRS2006. I like issuing driver commands and then sit back and watch these being carried out. I have a couple of questions.

• One of the driver commands is “Notify”. What is this and how is it used?
  • I would like to explore the Waybill aspect. I can see that an industry requires a commodity, but I don’t see which industry is producing that commodity. I’ve used Marzipan’s Display Industry list, but some commodities don’t show up on the list, e.g. tires. Also, the waybill system sometimes shows “unknown requirement at industry x”. I assume that this is due to a ProtoLars industry and TRS2006 does not retrieve the commodity. Does this “unknown requirement” still show up in TRS2009/TRS2010?
  • I’ve figured out that there are four base categories of commodities: bulk, container, liquid and passenger. And each of these require specific types of rolling stock. In a driver session, when I toggle the map mode, I can see “consist 6” or “consist 7”. Is there a driver command to couple a loco with “consist 6”? I’ve been clicking on “consist 6” in the map mode, exiting map mode to look at individual cars and then issue a drive command to couple to the appropriate car.
Thanks for any advice. This forum has been really helpful and I’ve been able to search and find answers to a lot of the questions I’ve had. I’m really enjoying the routes provided by the talented creators in the community.

The Notify command is discussed in the TRS2006 Manual, Section 12.12.2 = Driver Command Guide, page 194.
You might find some use for the Industries and Commodities chart on page 186.

Bob

Don't know about TS2006, but TS2010 has a "Couple" driver command. You have to specify the car to couple to rather then the consist as a whole. Looks like it is old enough to be in TS2006. (Build version is 2.0.)

I've done some route automation myself, and one thing I've found is that to keep the traffic working right you'll want signals in strategic places. One of my routes has, I believe, 6 different trains (3 passenger, 3 freight.) on it all with their own sets of orders. And some of the routes they'll take can, potentially, conflict. Some of the routes are pretty simple, (Two of the passenger trains are DMUs that basically run a shuttle between one station and either a seaport or an airport.) but some are more complex. (Like a freight train that visits the seaport, the airport, and a couple other industries and IIRC will alternate between carrying 20ft containers and 40ft containers in addition to carrying general goods.) And this route is far from finished. :)

Thanks for the info about the Notify command. I'll have to experiment with it.

The commodities chart in the TRS2006 manual shows the basics. I was more interested in the additional commodities, e.g. tires, that content creators have provided. My baisc problem is that the Waybill shows which industry demand tires but I see no easy way of determining which industry produces tires. I've been using Find - Industry and then click on one industry to go to that industry on the map. I then right click to view detail about that industry. If there are no tires there, I repeat the above step for each industry. If there are two or three dozen industries, it can take awhile to finally discover where tires are being produced. I'm hoping that someone has a simpler strategy for determining which industry produces tires.

I am using the Couple command in the driver session commands. I was just curious as to why "consist 5" is showing up on the map but apparently no where else in the game.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

Another idea to find industries is, before you start your route, run CMP and set the Search Action Panel to Category - Commodity and another to Location - Local. This will display all installed commodities. To find all assets that are currently set to handle a commodity, click on the asset and select 'View Dependent Assets' to see a list of cars and industries.

Bob

Last edited:
Consist 5 I believe would just be one or more train cars coupled together without a driver. And apparently you can't control what it's called. If you uncouple cars from a locomotive they'll become a Consist x entry. But the only thing that's used for, as far as I know, is the map.

Back