route merging issues

That's an interesting observation! Typically, I'll be merging into a smaller route as I have a route template that carries the TurfX assets as well as other useful things (if you merge a route with TurfX into a route without, then the TurfX does not appear in the merged route.) However, I do think that ensuring the route layers have different names between the two routes ('Route Layer 1' and 'Route Layer 2' for example) is helpful. Also, I'm not sure I've seen a problem with merging routes in TRS22.

Paul
It's almost tempting just to buy and move to 22 to see if it really is the game and not just the PC that's flipping me the bird. (I'm almost 95% sure it's the latter)

Have you tried giving different names to the Route layers in the two routes you're trying to merge?

Paul

I've been trying to merge my Rockmount, PA route with the extension I'm building for that route. The issue is that even ever I try to merge the route, what should take only a few seconds seems to just drag on with no end in sight! the longest I've clocked it in at was 5 minuets before I just shut the game down.
I have sent you a PM mate, hopefully I can be useful to getting your routes merged!

Update: I boosted my VRAM to 100000, though now I'm 100% sure that the track prevented the yard module from merging into the other modules; I'd deleted all the track work, save for one section that I missed and tried to join the yard into another model and it hung. So once I ran a database repair and fired 19 up again, I opened the yard module again, found that last tiny track spline, deleted it, and tried again, and this time, IT WORKED!:D

I'm not sure why it would let modules merge onto it but not the other way around, but at this point, I don't care!

I'll swap the tracks tomorrow and let y'all know if it starts hanging again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been a merger update.
This is STLSF4003, signing off. Good night, and see y'all tomorrow.

Always run a DBR if you have any kind of hang. A corrupt database can cause all kinds of issues that will lead to further corruption that can sometimes destroy everything as a few people have found out the hard way not long ago.

It's time for another update.

The track replacement went off without a hitch, and the module merges just fine now! However, I've also found another issue that was playing into my merging problems. It turns out that, for some reason, my game/PC refuses to merge any route that has a turntable onto an existing route! And just to be sure that it was the turntable that was causing the hangs, I created a new route with just a turntable sitting in the middle, then I tried to merge it with one of my other projects, and right on queue, it hung like a condemned outlaw.

You can get around this by using the offending route as the base route and merging everything else (assuming the other routes/modules don't have a turn table) onto it.

It's time for another update.

The track replacement went off without a hitch, and the module merges just fine now! However, I've also found another issue that was playing into my merging problems. It turns out that, for some reason, my game/PC refuses to merge any route that has a turntable onto an existing route! And just to be sure that it was the turntable that was causing the hangs, I created a new route with just a turntable sitting in the middle, then I tried to merge it with one of my other projects, and right on queue, it hung like a condemned outlaw.

You can get around this by using the offending route as the base route and merging everything else (assuming the other routes/modules don't have a turn table) onto it.
Good Evening Sir,

I have been merging Routes for quite some time, and had similiar issues with Round Tables involved, the Routes would or would not merge. Always wondered why the Round table would have missing items on the Route. .But they were not missing, I had the complete assets most of the time. I would find I would have to delete the Round Table and then close n save Route, reopen, re add the Turntable Etc.

Now after all these years, you came up with the answer.

Thank you for your tenacity.

Good Evening Sir,

I have been merging Routes for quite some time, and had similiar issues with Round Tables involved, the Routes would or would not merge. Always wondered why the Round table would have missing items on the Route. .But they were not missing, I had the complete assets most of the time. I would find I would have to delete the Round Table and then close n save Route, reopen, re add the Turntable Etc.

Now after all these years, you came up with the answer.

Thank you for your tenacity.
I am glad to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this elusive gremlin. Though I've never had a turntable disappear before, My issue was it caused routes not to merge into other routes.

Ok, 19 seems to have a merge bug that TANE didn't have where it hangs indefinitely if you merge a finished or almost finished route to a route that you are in whether blank or scenicked. Maybe it is the turntable issue. I guess you could delete the turntable on the offending route, save, then place it back once the merge is done. Or, be in the route with the turntable when merging and make sure the route that you are merging has no turntables in it.

Back