Can't merge any routes in TRS19?

PhilChorusch01

It's very strange! First time ever having this problem.

I can load up the routes in the merge map, position 'map 2' like normal so there's no problem! then merge the layers if required and click on the 'Tick' button to merge the routes. The next step 'should be' the routes load as merged, but TRS19 seems to be unresponsive and doesn't merge the routes.

I have tried other routes and same issue.. I need to merge the routes in TRS19 because I am getting issues such as that massive wedge in the terrain in TRS22 , I just don't know how to fix that wedge and it's really frustrating 'I should had kept backups of the merged routes in the first place, that I'm trying to re-merge' but I forgot!

Edit: Yes, I do have 30GB ram! So, it's not an issue

Merging has always had issues - most of them technical such as the size of the two routes and the available storage space - RAM, disk and VRAM (i.e. Virtual RAM, not Video RAM)

I have always made sure that the bigger of the two routes was loaded into Trainz first and the smaller of the two route was merged into the larger one.

By "massive wedge" in the terrain I will assume you mean a steep cliff where the two routes are joined? That is caused by a height difference between the two routes - a problem not easily resolved.

Check the Trainz Wiki Page on How to Merge Routes for some tips and for dealing with the problems you may encounter.

Last edited:
Try two new single baseboard routes and merge those.

Does that work?

What's the size of the routes you are trying to merge?

How much disk space do you have in addition to the RAM in your system.

Yes, I can merge 2 baseboards without any issues.
The routes are between 10MB to 25MB, nothing higher!
I have 309GB Disk space.

I installed TRS19, because TRS22 keeps creating that idiot wedge. I never used to have that wedge problem 'at all'.

While merging 2 routes, TRS19 is only using 10% CPU, 25% Memory, 8% Disk, GPU 35%. Basically, it looks like the game is sleeping.

The routes I am trying to merge are:

Hay Branch 1, 2 and 3. Including Leeton 2 Griffith
Tumut Branch 1, 2 and 3
Tumbarumba Branch 1, 2 and 3
Picton to Goulburn + Goulburn Crookwell Taralga revised + Joppa Jct to Binalong + Boorowa branch (In TRS19) Other routes will be merged in TRS22 to continue this route from Picton to north of Seymour, I will also be changing the Moss Vale section to merge with Illawarra South Coast 'I have all of these routes fully merged before, just never made backups'.

I have attempted merging the Hay Branch + Yanco to Griffith with both the Junee 2006 and ARTC NSW Main South - VR North-East routes, never been successful as I lose patience trying to realign the track as it doesn't match up by only a good 30 meters or so. Any route builder would easily fix that, but not me LOL

I have merged these routes:

QR Mt Isa + the missing section I created + QR Phosphate Hill/Cloncurry
Brisbane South TRS 04 with Gold Coast TRS 04
ARTC NSW Main South = VR North-East with Bethungra Spiral
The Great Zig-Zag of N.S.W. with NSW Bathurst to Lithgow

Merging has always had issues - most of them technical such as the size of the two routes and the available storage space - RAM, disk and VRAM (i.e. Virtual RAM, not Video RAM)

I have always made sure that the bigger of the two routes was loaded into Trainz first and the smaller of the two route was merged into the larger one.

By "massive wedge" in the terrain I will assume you mean a steep cliff where the two routes are joined? That is caused by a height difference between the two routes - a problem not easily resolved.

Check the Trainz Wiki Page on How to Merge Routes for some tips and for dealing with the problems you may encounter.

Yes, the 'massive wedge' is in the terrain at the merged location in between 2 baseboards. I never used to have this problem!
I know how to merge routes, the first time I ever merged a route was back in TRS2006 ;)

Are there any turntables and roundhouses on the route?

There was an issue reported here recently with having those and having a route merge hang in a similar fashion.

When you say "wedge" I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. It could be that one of the routes is done in a 5-meter terrain while the other is 10-meter. This will definitely create a disparity and gaps along the baseboard edges.

I know what you mean about needing to adjust the track. I think that route merger requires you to remove a baseboard or two so that the sections line up. I remember reading about a while ago. The route you're creating will be quite huge, keep that in mind. From my experience with large route like that, The AI get really, really goofy and worse than "normal". More recently, I've gotten away with full mergers and I've gone to those i-Portals. While not ideal, they allow individual routes to run but connected at the same time. Being separate routes, they can run normally and AI driven trains are sent off their merry way when I want without worrying about derailments in portals, and other weird AI and portal issues we've had recently.

H
the 'massive wedge' is in the terrain at the merged location in between 2 baseboards.

When you say "wedge" I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. It could be that one of the routes is done in a 5-meter terrain while the other is 10-meter. This will definitely create a disparity and gaps along the baseboard edges.

He may be referring to a long straight "cut" or "ditch" running down the edge of the baseboards where the merge occurs.

This is an issue that I have seen and it can be solved.

Refer to the wiki page at How_to_Merge_Routes#Uncommon_Problems_and_Their_Solutions

Are there any turntables and roundhouses on the route?

There was an issue reported here recently with having those and having a route merge hang in a similar fashion.

I know what you mean about needing to adjust the track. I think that route merger requires you to remove a baseboard or two so that the sections line up. I remember reading about a while ago. The route you're creating will be quite huge, keep that in mind. From my experience with large route like that, The AI get really, really goofy and worse than "normal". More recently, I've gotten away with full mergers and I've gone to those i-Portals. While not ideal, they allow individual routes to run but connected at the same time. Being separate routes, they can run normally and AI driven trains are sent off their merry way when I want without worrying about derailments in portals, and other weird AI and portal issues we've had recently.
Yes, there are some turntables

The wedge, if you got an axe and slowly started to split a log for firewood it creates a wedge between the two halves prior to separation. If that makes sense!

Yes, there are some turntables

The wedge, if you got an axe and slowly started to split a log for firewood it creates a wedge between the two halves prior to separation. If that makes sense!
Yes, that makes sense. It could be that there are two different mesh-sizes causing this just as I said.

Yes, that makes sense. It could be that there are two different mesh-sizes causing this just as I said.
I will come back to this thread, I'm going to need a new hard drive for my gaming laptop. Got the early warning from Intel rapid storage software yesterday to backup before it's too late or risk losing everything.

I wonder if this could be the cause of my problem in TRS19!!!

I will come back to this thread, I'm going to need a new hard drive for my gaming laptop. Got the early warning from Intel rapid storage software yesterday to backup before it's too late or risk losing everything.

I wonder if this could be the cause of my problem in TRS19!!!
That could be an issue.

Messages like that are stomach lurching!

Back