Renaming rolling stock

daedalus84

I'm relatively new to trs19... I'm attempting run a route using a system similar to model railroad car cards to help with switching and deciding which cars go on which trains, etc. I'd like to be able to have each car's reporting mark and number above the car when switching to make it easier to see which car is which. I understand I can turn on "Traincar names" but these usually default to "73ft Centerbeam BNSF 2" or whatever which isn't very helpful. I edit the car names in Surveyor to reporting mark and number, but when I save and exit, and come back to the game, the names are all reset to default. (As are the loads, but that's another can of worms)

I don't know much about Routes vs Sessions, and as far as I know, my rolling stock is all on a session layer while track and industries is in a route layer. I only ever use one session, edit within the session, and overwrite existing session when I save. Should I try placing everything on the route layer and edit in there? Or is this a known bug and there's no way around it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I'm so new to trs19 I actually have trs22. Oops..

Last edited:
The process is the same in either version, or actually in all versions.

You were correctly changing the name of the train car in the right place, but that has to be done in the session-only and is only good for that session. Don't do this in the route because the changes will never save.

For a more permanent solution, you need to edit the config.txt files for each and every train car and this works for only DLS and third-party and does not work for DLC or built-in assets. The problem is you'll need multiple versions, and your best bet is to clone the train car in content manager. It's easy to do but there's a lot of work.

Highlight the train car you want to clone.
Press CTRL+D

Your train car won't be visible but it's there.
Open a new content manager window by pressing CTRL+N
In the search window, put in New Asset.

Right-click on the new asset you want to rename. This will be open for edit by default.
Click on Open...
Click on Edit configuration text file. This might be worded differently; I can't verify that right now, but it's worded something like this.

The config.txt file will open up in your text editor - usually Notepad.

Look for the username tag.
Note: These are spaces and not tabs between the different sections and use your arrow keys to navigate between the parts. Do not use the tab key otherwise weird things happen and the file gets messed up. Keep any quotes as they are and only edit between them and do not press Enter.

Change the name in the quotes. Even though this is a new asset, the old name of the asset is in the config.txt file.

Save your file.

Back in content manager, right-click and choose Submit asset.

Your "new asset" will disappear from the window and

If your change is correct, you've renamed your asset will appear in the main content manager.

If the asset is faulty, you need to check your work. Make sure you didn't space out a quote.

You can also check for faulty assets by changing the search filter to faulty and anything faulty will appear there.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds tedious, but it's a long winter...

I've also just discovered I can hit - or = to move between cars in a train so if I zoom in pretty close, that does well enough for now

Thanks for the reply! Sounds tedious, but it's a long winter...

I've also just discovered I can hit - or = to move between cars in a train so if I zoom in pretty close, that does well enough for now

You can also move from one train to another by holding down the control key while using the - or = key.

You can also move from one train to another by holding down the control key while using the - or = key.

Thanks, that's pretty handy.

Meanwhile, I've learned if I rename a traincar name and then save as an entirely new session, the new name carries over to the next time I open the session. Not sure how that affects my route/sessions/gameplay in the long term yet. This also appears to be the only way I can get new rolling stock to stick.

Thanks, that's pretty handy.

Meanwhile, I've learned if I rename a traincar name and then save as an entirely new session, the new name carries over to the next time I open the session. Not sure how that affects my route/sessions/gameplay in the long term yet. This also appears to be the only way I can get new rolling stock to stick.

You'll probably find that there are cars and locos for which this does not work, which is too bad. I use a switch list system for my sessions and in those cases I resort to using just the road designator and one or two leading digits, e.g. HMX94xxx. As long as those cars aren't repeated in the consist or session that works.

:B~)

Back