Re-naming Assets in CM?

LadyWind

Trainz POW MIA
Can someone please remind me how to 're-name' downloaded assets, so that I can recognize them from the menu tabs in-game?

Well, you could "Open for Edit in Explorer" and then change the "User Name" entry in the config file, then save and edit...commit.

Does someone mind giving me more information on this? Where is this: "Open for Edit in Explorer" ?

-Or are there other ways to re-name assets?

-Just looking for further explanation. :confused:

Well what you do is select your object that you want to rename, right click on it and go to edit, open in explorer (or edit in explorer, im not sure, but its one of them;) ) then once your in the folder, find the config file and open it, search for its name and once you have found it, rename it to whatever you blimmen feel like, when finnished, save and exit then commit the asset (rightclick again, edit, commit) there you have done it, you can now give yourself a big pat on the back mate:) hope this helps!!!

...addendum...

Well what you do is select your object that you want to rename, right click on it and go to edit, open in explorer (or edit in explorer, im not sure, but its one of them;) ) then once your in the folder, find the config file and open it, search for its name and once you have found it, rename it to whatever you blimmen feel like, when finished, save and exit then commit the asset (right-click again, edit, commit) there you have done it, you can now give yourself a big pat on the back mate:) hope this helps!!!

:wave: Hello LadyWind, welcome to Trainz!

Just to clarify what tap said, the entry your looking for is "username."

Don't change the entry "asset-filename," or the object will not show in-game.

Happy Trainzing!

Just to clarify further what the others have stated, once you 'Edit' - 'Edit in Explorer' and have changed the username in the 'config' file, ensure that you commit the object in Content Manager (CM) before you 'Launch Trainz'. The default setting is that CM will automatically commit before starting Trainz but I would advise committing the object manually by using CM's Edit menu or 'Ctrl M', in case errors show. This is especially important with built-in items because there may be no errors showing until you open the item for edit. If errors do show, especially red errors, built-in items can always be reverted to original using 'Revert to Original' in CM's Edit menu (Until you learn how to fix them - but that's another story!) Good Luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone. That was a lot of help. I have now successfully performed the re-naming of one such asset from 'kjhsjkfhsjkhsdjkfhsjf' to something much more manageable... :hehe:

You can just change the name in Asset Details.

Thanks for the tip. I never knew this could be done. It makes it so easy to give a recognisable name to assets named in a different language. To my surprise it not only shows the new name in CM but also in the lists in the Surveyor tabs and is much easier than editing the username in the config file.

Scottish

This has all worked out very well. Thanks everyone for the tip. In addition, that tip about only looking for the 'Username' row turned out to be very important! Thnx. :udrool:

Some questions;

- If you do the edit in the 'Asset Name' box within CM, does that change the username tag in config.txt?

- Does the edit remain intact through database rebuilds, re-installations and patches?

- Do you need to backup the Asset Name edits (as you do with keywords) and if so, how?

- If you're editing the config files for loco's or rolling stock beware that these assets sometimes have just a 'name' tag, some have 'username' and still others have both tags (often containing different names for the same asset!). How does Trainz/CM handle this? Which tag does it prefer to see? Is the correct tag version-dependent?

~ Deane

Last edited:
Some questions;

- If you do the edit in the 'Asset Name' box within CM, does that change the username tag in config.txt?

- Does the edit remain intact through database rebuilds, re-installations and patches?

- Do you need to backup the Asset Name edits (as you do with keywords) and if so, how?

- If you're editing the config files for loco's or rolling stock beware that these assets sometimes have just a 'name' tag, some have 'username' and still others have both tags (often containing different names for the same asset!). How does Trainz/CM handle this? Which tag does it prefer to see? Is the correct tag version-dependent?

~ Deane

1. No it does not write to the config.txt.

2. & 3. It appears to be saved with the keywords so back up often since a patch or reinstall may not preserve the keyword file.

4. Yes, error checking is done based upon the Trainz build number. The "name" tag is legal for pre-TRS2004 content.

Be warned that the Trainz crew has been strongly discouraging the local editing of assets for a while now. So changing the config.txt may not be a good idea in the long run.

William

I was under the assumption that the CM identified all of the asset files according to KUID number, no matter what the name of the file was?

Your right...

:cool: The kuid is the key...it means Koolthings-User-ID...

But the upgrades are identified in the last number, single digit.

If someone uploads a newer version, that digit will be one greater than the last...then, the item reverts to exactly what the original Content Creator specified.

As a new user to Content Manager, you may want to make a folder for copies of the original config.txt files, identified by kuid in case you need it.

Back-up your non-DLS downloads in a folder somewhere(documents, an external hard drive, etc.) for safety's sake...especially payware.

Content Manager is easy to use once you read all the material you can find(homework) & use it regularly. Also become acquainted with the keyboard-shortcuts(of course!).

1. No it does not write to the config.txt.

2. & 3. It appears to be saved with the keywords so back up often since a patch or reinstall may not preserve the keyword file.

4. Yes, error checking is done based upon the Trainz build number. The "name" tag is legal for pre-TRS2004 content.

Be warned that the Trainz crew has been strongly discouraging the local editing of assets for a while now. So changing the config.txt may not be a good idea in the long run.

William

Thanks for the clear answers William.

As for not editing configs, well I will take my chances on that. Frankly I don't think the brew crew ever spent any time trying to organise a large collection of assets in the way that users need to. If they had, they would quickly realise that you can't do it properly without editing configs. Firstly, there are thousands of errors and inconsistencies in tags other than 'username' which cause assets to be wrongly classified (thus undermining one of the main purposes of CM). And fixing common faults and warnings often requires amendments to config.txt, otherwise the fixes have no effect (eg. converting meshes from .pm to .im requires a mesh-table to be added, or adding a screenshot visible in CM requires a thumbnails container to be added, etc ).

Changes to the configs and other asset files can be protected by maintaining backup copies of the entire UserData folder. At least, that's my hope and strategy for now.

Having made those points though, I suppose most people faced with the prospect of editing thousands of configs, will opt to just live with the assets and try to make the best of it - keywords, an occasional change to the username, and operating in Compatibility Mode. CM isn't really equipped to do any heavy lifting in terms of config editing. Third-party tools like Asset-X may offer some hope in that regard, but I haven't used it yet.

~ Deane

Last edited:
I agree. I have to be able to edit the asset names, otherwise searching through them becomes quite impractical when creating a route. I live in Los Angeles, so an asset name like: 'Geldenheimenglokensmeken' (while probably a perfectly common European word) just looks to me like someone rolled their face across the keyboard...

'Geldenheimenglokensmeken' (while probably a perfectly common European word) just looks to me like someone rolled their face across the keyboard...

Around here if they used their face, it would be a welcome change!

Times change...so we forget...

:cool: Trainz, has always been a user-friendly open-end software...;)

I enjoyed creating content using Paint Shed & doing what I wanted to make a locomotive.

I have never seen an instance where just properly configuring a config.txt file according to the Trainz Classic Content Creation Guide failed.

Content Manager v3.3 allows all the changes you wish to make in Content Creator Plus, just make sure you commit all changes.

You can, for example add products to traincars, adjust mass weight to proper, change bogey's, hornsounds, enginespecs, enginesounds, add a thumbnail, change an obscure name to something your way, locate edited in PEV-tools mesh files(.pm2.im), remove license(don't file-share or your fired), just stay with the guide.

Back