RAM Question

TrainMan12

I have a dual-core processor which is clocked at about 2.5GHz, with 2GB of RAM. Trainz usually runs smoothly, but on larger routes, I get some stuttering in areas. Would an extra 512MB stick improve preformance, or is my processor too slow?

Thank you!

I don't think your processor is too slow, and extra RAM can only be a good thing. I have 4 in my duocore machine, but only use 3.5. Ram is cheap, last I looked!

I have a dual-core processor which is clocked at about 2.5GHz, with 2GB of RAM. Trainz usually runs smoothly, but on larger routes, I get some stuttering in areas. Would an extra 512MB stick improve preformance, or is my processor too slow?

Thank you!

Check your motherboard use www.crucial.com you'll probably find that its dual channel which means you need matching memory in pairs to get the best performance. Adding one extra module can actually reduce performance by stopping the dual channel action.

2.5 gigs of memory is fine, so two 256MB modules would be best. More won't hinder but it won't help much either.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
Hello, the general concensus of opinion is that although the recommended minimum specs of all the Trainz versions submitted on the CD/DVD box by Auran is 1-2 gig, many of us have upped to at least 3-4 gig, depending on which version we have, due to advanced technology and the complexity of some layouts with lots of spline usage, etc, and of course it depends which OS you are using. I have had Windows XP for over 5 years and you were recommended never to go above 3 gig, however, that rule seems to have been relaxed now and 4 gig is probably the maximum for this type of game. It also depends what else you use your computer/laptop for, especially if you require it for work, etc....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I did the scan on Crucial's website.
My system doesn't support dual channel memory.
Apparently the maxiumum memory my system can handle is 2048MB.

If my processor is fast enough and I've got sufficient RAM, why is it laggy in certain spots?

The spot where it's lagging isn't even that dense. Nothing that's really poly-intensive.

Last edited:
Hello, the general concensus of opinion is that although the recommended minimum specs of all the Trainz versions submitted on the CD/DVD box by Auran is 1-2 gig, many of us have upped to at least 3-4 gig, depending on which version we have, due to advanced technology and the complexity of some layouts with lots of spline usage, etc, and of course it depends which OS you are using. I have had Windows XP for over 5 years and you were recommended never to go above 3 gig, however, that rule seems to have been relaxed now and 4 gig is probably the maximum for this type of game. It also depends what else you use your computer/laptop for, especially if you require it for work, etc....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I've heard that Trainz doesn't use anything above 3GB. I'm running on a very large route, and it may be the sheer size of the route that is causing slowdowns in places.

The scan indicated a memory capacity of 2GB; is that the maximum my system can hold?

I won't say much because I don't know much about computers.
But GB, MB, RAM, OS, Processor, Dual-core, Module?

Last edited:
I won't say much because I don't know much about computers.
But GB, MB, RAM, OS, Processor, Dual-core, Module?
GB = Gigabyte = 1000 megabytes
MB = megabytes = 1000 kilobytes = 1000000 bytes
RAM = Random Access Memory, the working memory that gets erased when you turn your computer off.
OS = Operating System such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Unix
Processor = The main processing chip that does all the arithmetic, logic, etc. The central brain, if you will.
Dual-core = 2 processors in a single package on the motherboard.
Module = any part in the computer that can be unpluged, remove and replaced.
Motherboard = The main circuit board that holds all the modules and piece parts and provided printed wiring to interconnect them.

Bob

I've heard that Trainz doesn't use anything above 3GB. I'm running on a very large route, and it may be the sheer size of the route that is causing slowdowns in places.

The scan indicated a memory capacity of 2GB; is that the maximum my system can hold?

Yes, I wouldn't advise going any further then in that case, maybe, you could try 2 gig with an extra 256mb stick or even 2 of them as John W. suggested, but many of the newer layouts and versions of Trainz, the Trainz Classics series TC3 for example, utilises loads of splines and it lagged on a lot of people's computers in the built up towns and cities. You have to be aware of where there are going to be a lot of tracks, such as a big freight yard, or many, many buildings in built-up areas, etc, these do cause your computer to stutter a lot unfortunately. You just have to take it easy and not have lots of trains running at the same time in the same area. You must also be aware of the number of splines running the length of the route, telegraph poles, power lines, walls, fences, rivers, all in line with the tracks, added to that, splines of trees and roads of course takes its toll as well on your computer. Don't worry too much, we're all in the same boat, either upgrade to a more powerful computer, if you have the budget, or, just stick with small-ish routes that won't cause too much stuttering. You can delete various items on the route to make it less demanding on your resources, but, that might affect your layout's highly detailed scenic value. It depends what you want really, bland routes but superb running, or lots of attractive stuff on your maps, but lots of stutter also......

Good luck and enjoy your trainzing.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

Last edited:
GB = Gigabyte = 1000 megabytes
MB = megabytes = 1000 kilobytes = 1000000 bytes

Bob

Gidday,
Your slightly out there young Bob; - (Q) How many kilobytes in a megabyte and how many megabytes are in a gigabyte?
Answer:[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
1024 bytes is equal to 1Kb[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1024 Kb is equal to 1 Mb [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1024 Mb is equal to 1 Gb[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers Mac...[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] :p
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Stickler huh?

Regardless of how much RAM Trainz can use, what else are you doing, or what else is your PC doing at the same time? When I'm answering questions or building something, I often have Trainz, Google Earth, the forums and Photoshop running at the same time.

Stickler huh?

Regardless of how much RAM Trainz can use, what else are you doing, or what else is your PC doing at the same time? When I'm answering questions or building something, I often have Trainz, Google Earth, the forums and Photoshop running at the same time.

Not much; I shut down explorer but that's it. The only programs running in the background is anti-virus.

I have 4 GB in my machine, and I find that Trainz runs very well with it. Vista 64-bit version has enough room for itself to get out of the way for the program to be able to spread it's wings out and move like it should.

With the 64-bit versions of the operating system, it's important to have as much ram as one can afford because the OS will use all of what the machine can physically handle and then some. Also by having the maximum amount of RAM for motherboard allows for future expansion down the road with the 64-bit operating systems that are coming out. The larger amount of memory also increases performance because more can be allocated to the program so there is less thrashing of the hard drive as the memory faults out to the swap file.

John

I did the scan on Crucial's website.
My system doesn't support dual channel memory.
Apparently the maxiumum memory my system can handle is 2048MB.

If my processor is fast enough and I've got sufficient RAM, why is it laggy in certain spots?

The spot where it's lagging isn't even that dense. Nothing that's really poly-intensive.

Different versions of Trainz can use different configurations of cpu etc better. First off there is no machine that can run any layout at maximum detail. Second TRS2006 only will use one of your cores, TC3 or TRS2009 will run on both.

Trainz is limited to 2 gigs of memory that is an operating system limit. XP can live in 512mb of memory beyond this 2 gigs hence 2.5 gigs is optimum. I understand there is a way to give it 4 gigs under 64 bit Vista but that is by modifying the program and the performance usually isn't any better. There have been reports that running on solid state disk drives such an Intel helps performance.

Some layouts are limited by the cpu, some by the graphics card, the graphics card and the amount of memory on the graphics card is important to Trainz. Your monitor can impact performance, 1024 by 768 is 786,432 pixels 1920 by 1200 is 2,304,000 pixels. There is a substantial difference in the hardware requirements required to reach a given level of performance.

Content is created by many people, some is efficient, some isn't, TRS2009 will give you a poly count in CM2 so you get a rough idea of which items to avoid. TRS2009 native mode normally gives the best performance. Any content that uses multiple texture files will run more slowly.

Finally running i7 cpus with 6 gigs of memory and a 64 bit operating system gives the best memory access speed.

Trainz performance can be limited by cpu, memory speed, memory amount, disk drive access, operating system (XP is faster than Vista) graphic cards speed and memory, graphic card drivers, but the biggest factor is the use of resource hungry assets.

Cheerio John

Back