Philadelphia (Work In Progresss) (Large pics)

@Scottbe8: Again, I do thank you for giving me a push in this direction. I only had these signals because they had the "NEC" label. Pretty much since the first time I've tried any signalling in Surveyor, it's been with the JR/ Norfolksouthern's smart signals. They're easy to set up for even a casual route builder. I'll mention things I learn to first share my happiness that I can still learn something, and to show you guys that I appreciate the advice always, and will take any feedback as only positive, and it's never wasted.

The switch in my head finally turned on for these signals. I found a good link last night with history and everything relating to the CPL's. More to the point of the first paragraph, I did a little better search and happened to find this thread, which led me to the links: http://trainzforums.com/index.php?topic=4171.0

While there are some CPL's still in current use today, they are a dying breed due to maintenance costs with bulbs as opposed to the tri light signal. Most of them are out past Ohio. There is a full working one (capable of displaying all of the aspects) in Baltimore. I forget exactly but they're also in a rail museum. That is not a copy and paste, I now know that much. I'm also understanding aspects a little better. When I mentioned understanding RYG signals, I meant traffic signals. 100% of the times I've been on a train, it's been as a passenger. Learning about aspects has helped me understand even more how nice the JR smart signals are. I don't talk much of the weeks I lost trying to reset signals because the 08 interlocking signals kept flashing :eek:. I also understand why there are so many versions of an "NEC rule" type signals. That's because, well, there are so many rules :sleep:. I hope y'all are still with me. What I understand is there is a use for each one. Smart signals are plug and go, which is so nice. After reading, I'm going to try to use CPL's (Seniorchief has 2 different versions. I'm using the ones like the pictures I've been seeing). I like the way they give information. I really wanted to make a decision on signals before moving forward, now I have.

After reading about the TS12 version of AJS junctions, it finally gave me my second reason to get "12". First reason was the TPR NEC of course :). I'd rather just split the money between these 2 creators, but that's in my perfect world. When I do get it, I'll still keep this in it's format. I've been reading these forums long enough to backup anything six ways to Sunday. In the meantime I've also went back to the layout I first did (the one through Hamilton New jersey and beyond) with the previous version of Andi's junctions. I had no problems with them personally, everything runs just fine all the way through Hamilton. I got caught up in the posts about the problems OTHERS have had, and it ran me away from them. I also did not trust that I had them installed to anyone else's but my own standards. I understand how track spacing is now, and can recheck as I go along. Add to that what I'm learning about scenery and operations, this can now move along faster.

This post was mostly to show I appreciate any advice given, and to show while I still feel the term "protoypical" is more still just a term, it's a term I respect, and appreciate how much work you guys put into the content you make and the fantastic pictures you show.

I do all of my talking here because I would never never create a separate thread when I know I already have this one. I keep to the theme by usually having pictures. I've been reading these forums long enough to know what happens anyway when someone has multiple threads. I know it's frowned upon in a screenshot thread to talk so much, but I'd rather do it here than have multiple threads about nothing. Thank you all for your patience. The next update should be more complete than anything so far. Things are coming together at the same time for me. Thanks as always.

@Scottbe8: Again, I do thank you for giving me a push in this direction. I only had these signals because they had the "NEC" label. Pretty much since the first time I've tried any signalling in Surveyor, it's been with the JR/ Norfolksouthern's smart signals. They're easy to set up for even a casual route builder. I'll mention things I learn to first share my happiness that I can still learn something, and to show you guys that I appreciate the advice always, and will take any feedback as only positive, and it's never wasted.

The switch in my head finally turned on for these signals. I found a good link last night with history and everything relating to the CPL's. More to the point of the first paragraph, I did a little better search and happened to find this thread, which led me to the links: http://trainzforums.com/index.php?topic=4171.0

While there are some CPL's still in current use today, they are a dying breed due to maintenance costs with bulbs as opposed to the tri light signal. Most of them are out past Ohio. There is a full working one (capable of displaying all of the aspects) in Baltimore. I forget exactly but they're also in a rail museum. That is not a copy and paste, I now know that much. I'm also understanding aspects a little better. When I mentioned understanding RYG signals, I meant traffic signals. 100% of the times I've been on a train, it's been as a passenger. Learning about aspects has helped me understand even more how nice the JR smart signals are. I don't talk much of the weeks I lost trying to reset signals because the 08 interlocking signals kept flashing :eek:. I also understand why there are so many versions of an "NEC rule" type signals. That's because, well, there are so many rules :sleep:. I hope y'all are still with me. What I understand is there is a use for each one. Smart signals are plug and go, which is so nice. After reading, I'm going to try to use CPL's (Seniorchief has 2 different versions. I'm using the ones like the pictures I've been seeing). I like the way they give information. I really wanted to make a decision on signals before moving forward, now I have.

After reading about the TS12 version of AJS junctions, it finally gave me my second reason to get "12". First reason was the TPR NEC of course :). I'd rather just split the money between these 2 creators, but that's in my perfect world. When I do get it, I'll still keep this in it's format. I've been reading these forums long enough to backup anything six ways to Sunday. In the meantime I've also went back to the layout I first did (the one through Hamilton New jersey and beyond) with the previous version of Andi's junctions. I had no problems with them personally, everything runs just fine all the way through Hamilton. I got caught up in the posts about the problems OTHERS have had, and it ran me away from them. I also did not trust that I had them installed to anyone else's but my own standards. I understand how track spacing is now, and can recheck as I go along. Add to that what I'm learning about scenery and operations, this can now move along faster.

This post was mostly to show I appreciate any advice given, and to show while I still feel the term "protoypical" is more still just a term, it's a term I respect, and appreciate how much work you guys put into the content you make and the fantastic pictures you show.

I do all of my talking here because I would never never create a separate thread when I know I already have this one. I keep to the theme by usually having pictures. I've been reading these forums long enough to know what happens anyway when someone has multiple threads. I know it's frowned upon in a screenshot thread to talk so much, but I'd rather do it here than have multiple threads about nothing. Thank you all for your patience. The next update should be more complete than anything so far. Things are coming together at the same time for me. Thanks as always.

I only hope you get trainz 12 when I do, so I can drive your route and relive my Philadelphia Rail experience. But simply but awesome. Also I have to say sometimes I feel small compared to the other route creators out there. They can create some of the best realistic routes ever, so in short you spoke for all the route creators out there who are learning their way and developing as a creator. So thank you, as we are one big community. I know it is a little off topic but I had to speak from the heart. Keep it up!

I only hope you get trainz 12 when I do, so I can drive your route and relive my Philadelphia Rail experience. But simply but awesome. Also I have to say sometimes I feel small compared to the other route creators out there. They can create some of the best realistic routes ever, so in short you spoke for all the route creators out there who are learning their way and developing as a creator. So thank you, as we are one big community. I know it is a little off topic but I had to speak from the heart. Keep it up!

Thanks so much Amtrak. Most of my explaining comes from the awe I see throughout this forum. I reread my posts, and I'm not always as clear as I need to be. I'm working on it. I now have my own serial for TS12 (I bought it for son Christmas before last. He's away at college, so haven't seen it since.) Out of respect, I tried to not talk about it much since I didn't have one registered. I can tell why the TPR NEC is my inspiration: I loaded the route and simply clicked "drive" and just sat back and enjoyed the ride. No problems, no issues, no nothing!!! Fine work throughout. Specifically, you guys have tracks leading to the tunnel, as well at the northern NEC. That's where I started My goals are only to add something to the NEC that can be publicly available. I show my mistakes first to prove I don't know it all. Technically I know very little. I'm trying to pass the eye test first, then work on technical details for the hardcore players. Hopefully, I can talk less and show more.

I've been realigning the tracks and redoing spacing. I'm in the middle of learning how to read the diagrams even better to make full use of them. I don't think I'll ever get to the meter for meter measurements, but that's the old man in me rebelling.

I had too much of a curve entering 30th street. That caused a chain reaction of alignment issues. Started there:

While I have even less knowledge of yard operations (happy there's a thread about it now), I always wanted this to be a full working yard. I'll happily take suggestions to make it happen:

Thank you as always for your time and patience.

Sometimes you have to "Fudge" things ... stretch and pull things ... and it will all work out.

No one will even notice in the long run ... unless they are looking for details.

Your your route looks utterly fantastic !

Thanks for the encouragement Cascaderailroad. The following is only thought of as pictures until I can clear up what permission I have with this. It would help if someone is already in the know about this. All credit goes to ckfourlego, milkyoreo27, and isaacg. My reskin of the Kawasaki MN M8 inspired by Trizzy2609's youtube version:

I still have more cleaning up to do with this, but I wanted to show what I had. I am sending emails for clarification in the meantime.

I guess I'll need to make a body of my own before I show that again. Today's project:

Nothing too much, just something to stick here that lights up with Amtrak. I'll give the Cira Centre another try tomorrow. Learning how to do more with less.

Greetings again. Updating on what I spent today on. I'm close enough to move on unlike the last time I tried. Still some aligning and darkening to do with the day version. I'm still not too happy with the gloss. I have the effects I wanted to show. I'm happier with the night version.

I'm also trying to put more areas together so I can go along, but still much more to do:

I was working on North Philadelphia when I took the break for buildings:

Altogether not too far in progress, but certainly more is being done outside of 30th Street as well.

Are you from Phila ?

A visiting Vancouver Canada team once requested a: "Thinly sliced roast beef sandwich, on a long roll, double baked Scarcone' seeded roll, with melted cheese ... and a fresh hot soft pretzel with mustard" ... You Gotz ?

Last edited:
Can you put route on download station where's connyxy amfleets amtrak and Marc bi-levels?!

These seem to be 2 incomplete sentences :
Can you put route on download station ?
Where is connyxy amfleets amtrak and Marc bi-levels ___________?!

What do you want, a custom route ?
What do you want connyxy amfleets amtrak and Marc bi-levels to do ? (I guess run down da' twack' on a custom route) ?

Good thing there are two short answers to that... thing... that he typed (so grammatically incorrect I don't know what it is)...

:'( Only response these days are people who ask for Conny's stuff... (I'm trying guys. I'm the only one with OCD? :wave:)

Edit: as far as progress, I have one direction of the mainline signalling now in (with cpls) from 30th street through North Philadelphia. Using the PRR charts, they are about a mile apart it seems. I know, big whoop.

Last edited:
The route looks good,:D more than I could ever do. Conny's content just bring out the where did you get that's. But your work is great, keep it up:D

Matt

The route looks good,:D more than I could ever do. Conny's content just bring out the where did you get that's. But your work is great, keep it up:D

Matt

Thanks Railwoodman :)

Thanks again John (JCitron) for this helpful source: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-Philly-30th-Street-Station&highlight=trenton

That's all I'm trying to recreate. Shows me easier ways to do this.

The video definitely helped me with this. No other source has this as a curve. I had it straight as an arrow looking crazy lol

I don't plan on making any more of a zoo than this, but I also didn't really plan to do scenery at one time :)

Big Ole crazy track in the middle of Girard in case I'd ever forget what belongs there...(future plans)

Looking good! Hope you reconsider doing Zoo though. It's a wild interlocking, especially before they gutted it a few years ago. A real masterpiece of PRR ingenuity. Nevertheless, I understand the need to keep things moving.

Oh, there are pedestal signals available for use around 30th St., so you don't have to use high signals. It's under gfisher. He did dwarves, too. I have scripted, prototypical ones in the pipeline as well, should you need them.

Beautiful and I'm glad my SL-V cars inspired you to do your own. I lost mine when my laptop crashed :/ Now a days I've been working on my own city so I haven't gotten around to making new ones (or a new West Trenton Line for that matter) but one day it will be done. Hey maybe I'll learn 3D modeling and make the real ones. I'm tempted. The lack of Philadelphia stuff bothers me, we're like the forgotten city :/

Thanks Guys!

@RRSignal by the Zoo, I meant I won't do animal cages or the walkways. I threw down the warehouse district spline with trees over it. The interlocking is a must to complete. I'm working with the walls and levels there now. I haven't shown progress down the Keystone because it's still on the bare side. Thanks for the signal heads up too. I'll look them up.

This is how it looks today. I haven't done much to it in a while but it's along the same area I'm redoing. Once I have things working heading through North Philadelphia, it will leave only the Keystone as the last area being bare bones. It's signalled through Merion now too. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Last edited:
Are you from Phila ?

A visiting Vancouver Canada team once requested a: "Thinly sliced roast beef sandwich, on a long roll, double baked Scarcone' seeded roll, with melted cheese ... and a fresh hot soft pretzel with mustard" ... You Gotz ?

I missed this one. Yes, there are plenty of each of those around.

If I could lean on your patience one more time guys, I thank you for sharing my journey going through this. Especially with my building attempts. I think my biggest problem has been unnecessary baking of textures since I've started. I'm getting better, and want to show it one more time (I know, I said I was happy with it. I go through the screenshot thread everyday, so I know how high the standards are). This was done 8 hours ago, but it has taken that long to troubleshoot and arrive at baking...

Shown with what always belongs here:

And the slow changing of signals while I'm here:

I almost forgot the best part. I've seen incredible poly counts throughout this whole thing. I've finally fixed that. (This is a previous night mode, all that's changed in the picture was done on the texture side). I think this was too much lighting:

It is indeed mostly flat. I think the extra polys are that sun cover on the right side, and maybe the roof. I spent more time going through so many ways of trying than actually constructing those two. Now I can think about the buildings I want to add now. Thanks again for your patience.

Back