Persuading an AI Driver to couple

Try without the "drive to trackmark" command, as this command is actually included in the "couple at trackmark" command.

Andyz

OK, I took out the drive to track mark command. Now the engine just sets at the location where the "Couple at Trackmark" was encountered. The DCC Throttle has dropped down. What can I do to get the locomotive to move to the track mark and couple to the car waiting there?

Dap

Tried Couple at Signal - works like a charm - if the train is a consist on the map when I start. If I emit it from a portal, all bets are off. The train comes out of the portal and does not follow one driver instruction. Just obeys the signals and goes down the track, oblivious to its command to go to a track mark, uncouple its consist, couple at new trackmark and go on its way. Is there something about trains that are emitted from a portal that they can not be given driver commands? Any ideas what is happening here?

Dap

Dap, Try using the trigger rule. Place and name a trigger on line that emitted consist will travel over (somewhere withing the station say). Have your shunting loco's schedule: "Wait for Trigger (named as above - can be for a specific loco or all locos)/Couple at Signal xx).

Works for me...........sometimes!

Ess1 Dap
You dont ned to move the arriving loco. I use this operation all the time on my devon lines route, it goes as follows.
Train A (arriving)
drive to station
load/unload/terminate
uncouple
post message (**** completed task 0)
wait for message and clear (*** completeds task 1)
move to (loco leaves the terminus area to your next point)

Train B (waiting to couple)
wait for message and clear (**** completed task 0)
couple at trackmark (place TM at entrance to platform terminus)
load
post message (*** completed task 1)
drive to (next station)

The message commands are on the DLS, unlike triggers this only activates when the driver command is used. I have DMU's on the same terminus track and because ive used the driver commands instead of triggers they dont effect the shunting engine.
This works on all portal created trains as the consist name/number is not required.

Last edited:
Ess1 Dap
You dont ned to move the arriving loco. I use this operation all the time on my devon lines route, it goes as follows.
Train A (arriving)
drive to station
load/unload/terminate
uncouple
post message (**** completed task 0)
wait for message and clear (*** completeds task 1)
move to (loco leaves the terminus area to your next point)

Train B (waiting to couple)
wait for message and clear (**** completed task 0)
couple at trackmark (place TM at entrance to platform terminus)
load
post message (*** completed task 1)
drive to (next station)

The message commands are on the DLS, unlike triggers this only activates when the driver command is used. I have DMU's on the same terminus track and because ive used the driver commands instead of triggers they dont effect the shunting engine.
This works on all portal created trains as the consist name/number is not required.

ess1,

My problem is that any train that is being emited from a portal does not do any of the commands that I have given the driver. If I LMC on the engine, nothing happens - with trains that have not been emited from a portal, a LMC on the engine puts me in that engine. Is there something about portal emited trains that makes them different (and dumb, unresponsive to driver commands)?

Dap

Stagecoach - thanks for info.

Dap - I LMB on "Emit Train Now" on bottom of screen (sorry Grandma, you can suck eggs I'm sure:p). Select then add select driver then RMB to issue orders. Then select portal and send to portal.
Consist is emitted with named driver who continues with schedule. This has always worked for me even though I use TRS 2006 and sforget's rules were designed for 2004.

Stagecoach - thanks for info.

Dap - I LMB on "Emit Train Now" on bottom of screen (sorry Grandma, you can suck eggs I'm sure:p). Select then add select driver then RMB to issue orders. Then select portal and send to portal.
Consist is emitted with named driver who continues with schedule. This has always worked for me even though I use TRS 2006 and sforget's rules were designed for 2004.

ees1,

I refuse to use "Emit Train Now, because during an operating session, I expect nothing but prototype operations. And stopping to define a consist and give it orders is not very prototypical (unless you are playing the roll of train dispatcher's assistant in charge of crew calling.)
I want my sessions to be seamless protoype operations. No pop up screens that tell you what to do next or asking for input other than the control needed for the current train I am running. I am very new to Trainz and may be expecting too much, but I will keep trying to create my dream.

Could the problem be that the CPC Rules (Central Portal Control, CPC:Emit Train On Trigger, CPC:Emit Train) are not fully functional with 2006?

Or possible the problem is that I am not up to speed on how to make all this stuff work together! :(

Dap

Dap
Portal emited trains are no different to those you place on the route. Have you placed the driver and commands in the portal that emits it? When you try to select the train has it fully left the portal, if it cant get out of the portal due to not enough room then the consist is not available to you.

Dap, I emailed sforget some time ago regarding his excellent rules and he informed me that they probably not work in 2006. Notwithstanding this I find that Emit Train Now works perfectly for me. As I noted above, I can allocate a schedule for driver in normal way then "send to portal".

stagecoach, Did not realise there was a post message. I had been using the other message rule. Must try it.

ess1
It is a great little rule. When you use it the driver names are not important or related to any driver you may have used. As long as the post message and wait for message use the same name and task number to relate to each other. It can be used when a slow train has to wait for a fast train to pass as well when running a timetable. This means that any other train passing will not trigger the slow train so it will remain untill the fast train has passed.

slow train
drive to trackmark relief down
wait for message (from fast train)
drive to

fast train
drive via trackmark main down
post message (to slow train)
drive to

Syntax error

Ah, there I was excited about a new rule when Trainz struck again!

Tried to add "Wait for Message and Clear" when:

"Syntax error for Kuid 2:131986:1028:2
waitformessageandclearschedulecommand.gs(22): parser error, line 2.
Build failed"

"Post Message" was able to be added and shows up in Driver selection.

PerhapsTRS2006 does not accept script.

Dap
Portal emited trains are no different to those you place on the route. Have you placed the driver and commands in the portal that emits it? When you try to select the train has it fully left the portal, if it cant get out of the portal due to not enough room then the consist is not available to you.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, Stagecoach. I have found that the portal emitted trains have daft drivers unless I give them a good run before they execute any commands.

Having said that, I make sure that they have at least a baseboard to travel before they come across signals, junctions, or anything else that requires speed restrictions, or complex commands.

It's as though they're being born out of the portal, and take a minute or two before waking up to what's going on.

John

Ah, there I was excited about a new rule when Trainz struck again!

Tried to add "Wait for Message and Clear" when:

"Syntax error for Kuid 2:131986:1028:2
waitformessageandclearschedulecommand.gs(22): parser error, line 2.
Build failed"

"Post Message" was able to be added and shows up in Driver selection.

PerhapsTRS2006 does not accept script.

Check you have the right version of these commands. one was made for 04 and another for 06.

I have correct one but still does not show. However, "Wait for Message" does and this works fine. What does "and clear" do as Wait for Message vanishes from schedule after action?

Thanks again for info.

As far as im aware it removes it from the message board while the other one leaves it there. Im not sure but if left it can be seen by other trains using that message. You could try the 04 version.

Back