Pennsylvania & Berwind, Version 2010 (Large Images)

2010 is so freaking sweet! I love this track!

lol

Anyway, this is the Grafton industrial park. Just started it today.

acbdfaqoz201004170007.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004170006.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004170005.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004170002.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004170002.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004170000.jpg

-Joe

Working on the Mine 78 area. Being the largest coal mine on the route I figured it should look like it. Still adding buildings and details. The scale house is a new addition.

acbdfaqoz201003210009.jpg

-Joe

Where's the scale house from? That's an interesting asset to have on a route.

Who made those tracks?

Can't wait to see screenshots with the new UltraTreez instead of the crappy ones I made in your shots.

2010 is so freaking sweet! I love this track!

lol

Anyway, this is the Grafton industrial park. Just started it today.

-Joe

All I can say is wow.

I can still tell the feel of the old version - but definately better graphics and assests.

You are probably alot more stoked about starting over than trying to bring 04 to 2010.

Bill

All I can say is wow.

I can still tell the feel of the old version - but definately better graphics and assests.

You are probably alot more stoked about starting over than trying to bring 04 to 2010.

Bill

I'm absolutely trying to keep the feel of the original as much as possible. I'm trying to keep the length similar as well but I know in the end it'll be slightly longer overall. I'm also doing some slight rearranging of industries. I'll explain that as I post pictures though.

And yes, I am absolutely loving rebuilding this route from the ground up. The reason I changed my mind was because updating the 04 version to current standards was just proving to be way, way to difficult. This way I can bring this route to current standards while making some necessary upgrades. Glad you like how it's coming along, Bill!

More pictures are on the way come this weekend.

-Joe

Here are a few pictures from the recently started Paint Creek Branch. There is still a lot of texture and detail work to do here, I'm finding it takes a long time to do all of that.

Because of the track arrangements leading to the Paint Creek branch as well as trackage on Paint, trains are forced to reverse the length of the branch, requiring a caboose with a conductor. There is a runaround at Curry Mills however, but Paint is a trailing spur off the main line, so to avoid a train running reverse all the way from Grafton a caboose is used on Paint. The simple solution would be to add a runaround to the main line. Unfortunately, this never happened. BillM knows more about the history of the line then myself.

I should also add that the main line trackage is done up to Allegheny yard, and I did add a mile and a half long passing siding at Grundy's Wye, one of the few modifications I've done to the original track plan thus far.

acbdfaqoz201004290001.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290002.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290003.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290004.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290005.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290006.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290007.jpg

acbdfaqoz201004290008.jpg

-Joe

A Grafton local switches the Grafton Industrial Park with the beautiful [yet to be named] mountains in the background.

acbdfaqoz201005120003.jpg

acbdfaqoz201005120002.jpg

Currently hit a bit of a road block with this route. Finished track up to Allegheny Yard, but I'm having a bit of a hard time staying focused on the scenery design. I want it to look good, but I am an operator so I get distracted by running trains lol. Hopefully I can have the Allegheny yard completed soon. I suppose the best approach for me is to finish 100% of the track, then move on to scenery. This way I can operate and do the scenery at my pleasure as ideas come to mind. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm still excited to be recreating this route. Seems like no one else is really interested though.

-Joe

Trying to help Tracklayers lay better track

I am interested...but that fabulous detailed track (European):hehe: I think I downloaded your previous route in 06 version. I have also downloaded several Altoona routes, NEC, Tall Timber 1, and some Canada Run route which was supposed to have the Kicking Horse Pass on it.

Not that I am an expert tracklayer, and a know it all...but all these routes all had the same feeling, and trackwork design flaws.

ie:
Curves that are not semetrical, and round.
Curves that have kinks, and have too tight of radius.
Track that has not been straightened.
Switchs that have lead in, and tail tracks that have not been straightened.
Parallel tracks that are much too far apart.
Parallel tracks that are kinked, warped, and non-semetrical to adjacent tracks.
Trackage that has seemingly endless twists and turns that go on and on, and virtualy go nowhere in particular.
Super wide concrete tunnels that look like they belong on some inner city LA freeway.
Bridges that have no support columns, nor any end support abutments.
Super long curved bridges that would be an astronomical building feat in real life, rivaling the great Bridge of the Gods, or that humongously tall "Firth of Fourth" bridge in Europe.
Pine trees, and gigantic towering Redwoods, that are not indiginous to that particular area.
Most route flaws that I have seen they use some realy poor quallity built in chunky mesh track that has no detail what so ever, and looks truely flat and 1 dimensional.
Mountains that are sharply jagged and pointy, and are disproportional to the surrounding terrain, like they are from some distant planet on a Star Trek episode.
Much too much grass in the tracks, and way too many flowers, and billions of fairy looking Queen Ann's Lace weeds.

I have been studying several great routes like: GFisher-"The Loops", Jfalco-"Cumberland to Connellsville", and especially all of Derrmys great routes. I try to learn and develope my tracklaying techniques and skills, by looking at their works.

Last edited:
Well cascade, lucky for you I am not the original creator of this route. I am fixing basically everything you have mentioned and adding more! I agree that the original route had some problems. But I loved the concept and track plan enough to rebuild it from scratch in 2010 with much better assets and better track and scenery design. I haven't posted many screenies lately because I have been busy with the real wold. Updates to come. I am open to more criticism as well and will be looking for beta testers to test the trackage hopfully soon.

Cascade, if you have 2010 I'd love to send you what I have completed so far if you're interested.

-Joe

Great to see my UltraTreez in use.

You should see the area I'm currently scenicing. Your trees are great for making a believable forest. I've been using your trees in the foreground with splines and the bilboard tress behind for fill. They look great! I'll post a picture tonight.

-Joe

Here are a few pictures from the recently started Paint Creek Branch. There is still a lot of texture and detail work to do here, I'm finding it takes a long time to do all of that.

Because of the track arrangements leading to the Paint Creek branch as well as trackage on Paint, trains are forced to reverse the length of the branch, requiring a caboose with a conductor. There is a runaround at Curry Mills however, but Paint is a trailing spur off the main line, so to avoid a train running reverse all the way from Grafton a caboose is used on Paint. The simple solution would be to add a runaround to the main line. Unfortunately, this never happened. BillM knows more about the history of the line then myself. -Joe

Keep up the great work Joe!

The branch was normally ran as a local out of Allegheny and therefore was a facing point move in that scenario. All of the lumber goods, woodchips, and empty logs cars coming off the branch returned to Allegheny yard for routing to their various destinations both east and west.

Last edited:
You should see the area I'm currently scenicing. Your trees are great for making a believable forest. I've been using your trees in the foreground with splines and the bilboard tress behind for fill. They look great! I'll post a picture tonight.

-Joe

Well, where is the screenshot? Past your deadline (LOL)......:hehe:

Update:

This project is not dead! A lot has gone on in the past few months limiting my time on this route. So far I have the mainline completed up to Juanita Yard, some of the branches are yet to be built. I started on the Old Town Branch (my favorite town on the original route) the other day. It's still a work in progress but I think it's coming along quite nicely. I have A LOT of scenic work to do on this route. Maybe 10% is scenic-ed at this point.

acbdfaqoz201006270010.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270009.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270008.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270007.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270004.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270003.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270002.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270001.jpg

acbdfaqoz201006270000.jpg

-Joe

Update:

This project is not dead! A lot has gone on in the past few months limiting my time on this route. So far I have the mainline completed up to Juanita Yard, some of the branches are yet to be built. I started on the Old Town Branch (my favorite town on the original route) the other day. It's still a work in progress but I think it's coming along quite nicely. I have A LOT of scenic work to do on this route. Maybe 10% is scenic-ed at this point. -Joe

Looking excellent!!! Great re-creation. Amazing how 6 years of techno upgrades can improve the looks of things. :D Keep it up!!

Bill

Back