Paducah & Louisville RR

The route will be TS2010 and will be Native Mode if I can come to terms with the tree thing - - -

Andy,

I am really glad to see you are going to use SpeedTreez in this route. The two biggest problems I had with them were; 1, You can't use more than about a dozen or so different trees or they start disappearing. and 2, some of them just do NOT look realistic (I'm sure you've probably already discovered this). But I have managed to find a few that suit me. Best of luck with this new route! You are a master for sure! I just wish I could take screenies like you do. Your's always look really great and mine always come out looking crappy:p !

Regards,

Dave Snow

`

Last edited:
screen_004.jpg

At last, the shot I should have posted in the first place. I didn't want to make it too easy LOL

No offense taken Ed :)

Dave I have no idea how the tree thing is going to work out. What I am absolutely certain of though is that by the time this route is released the 3D tree thing will be well and truly licked. It is quite possible that the route will temporarily migrate back to Compatibility Mode, then return to Native later when the tree issues are solved..

Andy :)

It is quite possible that the route will temporarily migrate back to Compatibility Mode, then return to Native later when the tree issues are solved..

Well that was quick! Back in Comp Mode and 'billboard' trees after two crashes to the desktop and one dud save (all in 24 hours) while placing 3D trees.

I am mightily disappointed, I really wanted this thing to work. The appearance aspect of 3D trees has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months or so, but the performance aspect, at least on my computer, makes the things totally unworkable if needed in large numbers. And by 'large numbers' i mean copy/pasting about ten or a dozen at a time. Not multiple pasting, just Copy > Paste > Crash. This new route needs thousands of trees - probably more than EK3 in fact - so saving after every half dozen trees is totally impractical.

I'd love to stay in 'Native' to gain all the other advantages it offers, but short of black-and-whiting every alpha texture in every tree I own, there is just no way. And even if I did, it's a totally impractical solution for a distributed route.

So its back to Comp Mode, billboard trees and lo-poly rolling stock till 'they' get this 3D tree thing licked.

Ah well...

Last edited:
Well that was quick! Back in Comp Mode and 'billboard' trees after two crashes to the desktop and one dud save (all in 24 hours) while placing 3D trees.

I am mightily disappointed, I really wanted this thing to work. The appearance aspect of 3D trees has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months or so, but the performance aspect, at least on my computer, makes the things totally unworkable if needed in large numbers. And by 'large numbers' i mean copy/pasting about ten or a dozen at a time. Not multiple pasting, just Copy > Paste > Crash. This new route needs thousands of trees - probably more than EK3 in fact - so saving after every half dozen trees is totally impractical.

I'd love to stay in 'Native' to gain all the other advantages it offers, but short of black-and-whiting every alpha texture in every tree I own, there is just no way. And even if I did, it's a totally impractical solution for a distributed route.

So its back to Comp Mode, billboard trees and lo-poly rolling stock till 'they' get this 3D tree thing licked.

Ah well...

This actually makes me quite happy. If you were hell bent on native mode, you would be very short handed as far as what you could and could not use. And besides, EK3 is as close to perfect as I have ever seen, so if by any means you take anything a step further, you shall still reign as king. And considering this new project is not a remake of a route for an older version, and you are starting from scratch, I'm sure we will all be blown away. I have been learning to really like 2010, but I still think native mode is useless.

Ah well...

Well, gee, Andy. I haven't had any problems with the 3D Trees. In fact, I haven't had one single crash with TS2010. . . had them all the time with TRS2006. I've left that version for good. And I have planted thousands of Speedtreez in my Ozark Valley route with good framerates. I play Windowed also (got that from you!) and my locos zip right along. Now mind you, I DO get a little stutter now and then on a couple of big yards, with several other locomotives present. But by and large, I'm quite satisfied with native mode windowed, and the 3D trees.

Anyhow, best of luck with your new project. I've been through the Paducah/Metropolis area... plenty of train action there.

Dave

`

@ Dave - I am not blaming SpeedTrees per se, I assume there could well be hardware and/or memory issues on my machine. It was a very nice rig 4 years ago, but that's a long time for a computer! It runs XP so I am stuck at 4 gigs of RAM, only 3 of which are recognised. A serious upgrade is not in my immediate future. I am guessing but I suspect the crashes are due to running out of memory when copy/pasting. I also assume it is simply an extension of the Surveyor freeze many people experience when placing more than a few STs between saves. This route just needs so many trees that individually placing a half dozen then saving becomes totally impractical.

@ georgem: the span is JJS Pratt Truss Deck 46819:38132 and the supports are Bridge Support #2 Old Stone 124017:30013. Pretty sure both are built-in, if not they are definitely on the DLS.

Oh, and since this is a screenshot thread, the billboards are back...

screen_005.jpg

Andy ;)

Andy, if you want to do the map in native mode, unfortunately you have to say goodbye to the FMA grass and vegetation from Trunda, it is not suitable for native mode. In the case of vegetation recommend read the works of Pofig and Jan (Jankvis), at the moment there is no better solution for the TS2010.
Cheers,
Stan

Sorry Stan but I have totally given up on 3D trees and Native Mode. I get significantly better fps in Compatibility Mode using billboard trees. Also this route needs thousands of trees - more than EK3 did - and I crash to the desktop attempting to copy/paste more than about half a dozen 3D trees. I have to place them individually and save the route every few trees. No way!

The tiny area I did with 3D trees and almost no other scenery was returning single figure fps in Native. I now have hundreds of Trunda's trees in the same area together with dozens of significant buildings and am getting 60 - 80 fps in Compatibility.

I have all of Pofig's stuff and most of Jan's recent 3D offerings and I really like how the latest 3D trees look, but the performance aspect on my computer is hopeless...

Andy ;)

Dermmy

It's interesting but the problems you report in native 2010 are identical to the problems I have. Your screen shots in native look just like mine, and your single digit fps is standard for me. Native for me is worthless. Actually worse than worthless.

EK3 in compat runs perfectly for me. If I run it in native and swap out a few trees and relace them with a few Speed Freeks, the result is a single digit fps slide show.

Or, you could search the DLS for "cylindrical". :hehe:

Majekear and cnr have both made similar hoppers.

Something to play with, at least until the rrmods ones come out.

BTW, awesome work Dermmy, stunning work as usual.
:wave:

Back