Old Military Boxcars

yeah, I know what you mean. I do security planning for the military and even I have trouble getting information sometimes. I think my new mission when I'm out and about is to try to take pictures of all of the old military rail equipment when I can. At least they can be preserved in pictures if not in actuality.

O-well. shouldn't be difficult for someone who has made a lot of older style boxcars to remove the bogies and couplers, put them on old ties, and upload them as structures. Think they would be quite popular.

Catch ya later,

Ben

You're probably right. I haven't tried my hand at making any rolling stock, but I wouldn't think it too difficult.

Someone mentioned making assets for TRS by removing the bogies and the couplers. If you look closely at the pix, most of those boxcars still have their couplers; only the bogies are gone.

(Twas me). Thats good as some couplers might not be removable unless you have the original mesh. Some freight cars use couplers which are a part of the mesh. Others attach them with bog-2 and bog-3 in the config file. Now its easier: remove the trucks, chock it up on some old ties, add a few concrete blocks for steps, and your in business.

Ben

You're probably right. I haven't tried my hand at making any rolling stock, but I wouldn't think it too difficult.

Not too difficult? OK you've had two days now when do we see the finished product? And I want to see running on the track not just a scenery item.:p

Cheerio John

O-well. shouldn't be difficult for someone who has made a lot of older style boxcars to remove the bogies and couplers, put them on old ties, and upload them as structures. Think they would be quite popular.

Catch ya later,

Ben

It wouldn't even need to be a rolling stock builder. Scenery items are really easy to make.
Speaking of which...

Here's a few more shots

box14.jpg
Leefer old pal (Look out, he wants something!) when you get a chance, could you slip me a clear end and side view of a couple of these wood cars, along with some dimensions? Thanks.

:cool: Claude

I'm almost done with it. I should be able to finish it up today if I don't have too many interruptions around the house, but definitely by tomorrow.
Here's a screenshot of the boxcar so far. I couldn't have done it without the kind help and permissions of eldavo and wgkandsk nor the invaluable guidance and assistance from JohnWhelan. Thanks all.

armyboxcar.jpg

...Leefer old pal (Look out, he wants something!) when you get a chance, could you slip me a clear end and side view of a couple of these wood cars, along with some dimensions? Thanks.

:cool: Claude

I don't have them now, but when I get a chance, I'll get some better pictures and dimensions for you. You're right, scenery items would be eash and I plan on doing some.
Mike

Well now this is looking sweet, I think I will make a board using the new Canadian houses and put a few of these on inv. track behind the house.

...Run's to get wife, and show here my plans for the house this spring!:hehe::hehe:

Lorin:wave:

Well, I think it's finished. I've sent it to my beta testers for comment and then we'll see. I can't thank enough all of those involved in this effort.:clap:
Mike

They can carry just about anything as the Army used them for just about everything they needed (and they need a lot of things from ammunition, paper, uniforms, dry goods, general goods, fertilizer for ANFO...). The army used these particular ones to deliver all sorts of supplies to and from an army ammunition plant and to distribute supplies to the different assembly lines around the post. The various assembly lines can be miles apart. They also used them to carry ammunition to the thousands of acres of ammunition storage igloos around the post. I have an ammunition igloo spline on the DLS that would come in handy with these boxcars. What I need to find is an Army loco or switcher to use with them.

They can carry just about anything as the Army used them for just about everything they needed (and they need a lot of things from ammunition, paper, uniforms, dry goods, general goods, fertilizer for ANFO...). The army used these particular ones to deliver all sorts of supplies to and from an army ammunition plant and to distribute supplies to the different assembly lines around the post. The various assembly lines can be miles apart. They also used them to carry ammunition to the thousands of acres of ammunition storage igloos around the post. I have an ammunition igloo spline on the DLS that would come in handy with these boxcars. What I need to find is an Army loco or switcher to use with them.

Perhaps I should have said what products available in Trainz should be the default ones on these boxcars. Looking at the beta it seems to have pallets of apples etc. I just wondered if there were any more appropriate kuids to put in the queues.

Cheerio John

I changed the products and have uploaded to the DLS and TPR. Thanks John for all of your help.
Mike

I have uploaded version 2 of a US Army boxcar to the DLS and TPR. It's available now at TPR. Here's the screenshot for those interested. It has 15 different assignable numbers thanks to Eldavo's Chameleon script.
Mike

boxcar V2 screen.jpg

Back