OK GETTING ANGRY NOW!

Auran haven't had the decency to acknowledge an email I sent regarding an important issue with TS12 two months ago now. Not good form. This is one reason I will not purchase any new versions in future unless there is some respect shown to us, the customers. Just basic respect. That's all.

I sent you a PM regarding this issue.

John

ok guys. hows it going.

sorry for the explosion yesterday. i went to see a movie with a, how do i say this, "part-time girlfriend" and had a fun night. :D

so im not so grumpy now. very relaxed and i am VERY SORRY to everyone.

so, im going to start the process of doing what sniper told me to do, and then i will report back to this thread. i appreciate the input, and all of you are very nice.

Hi Retro,

Good idea...but....

Higher Speed from ISP/server farm = Higher Cost.

Regards,
Ron

hey aardvark, dont tell us they cant have a better server because its too expensive.

on my game case for TS2010, the top left corner, it says "over 1 million copies sold". which means that N3V made $30 Million. i think thats enough to cover the cost of a better server.

hey aardvark, dont tell us they cant have a better server because its too expensive.

on my game case for TS2010, the top left corner, it says "over 1 million copies sold". which means that N3V made $30 Million. i think thats enough to cover the cost of a better server.

Well let's see that statement "over 1 million copies sold" pertains to the franchise not just 2010 AND by your math they pay no taxes in any of the countries they sold it in plus they have no labor or production costs whatsoever, they also get free rent and utilities...

Wow I want some of that...

on my game case for TS2010, the top left corner, it says "over 1 million copies sold". which means that N3V made $30 Million.

No, that's not what it means. Not all versions of trainz sold have been sold at $30, although it may be a reasonable average - if we're talking about AU$, given that most versions were sold at a higher than AU$30 initial price.

But even then, that's 1 million copies of 'trainz' sold, over 10 years.

Then there are things like taxes, staffing, building rent and other operating costs, many copies of trainz were sold at retail, so there's the retailer's cut, distributor cuts, etc.

Even assuming that revenue is AU$30 * 1 million / 10 years, AU$3million/year revenue would actually be fairly difficult to support a proper company of just one person, let alone a company the size that Auran/N3V has been and is.

Heck, I'd be honestly surprised if Auran/N3V has even remotely come close to breaking even over the long haul. More likely trainz has been a financial hole for them (although it could be argued that trainz has increased their global presence and thus allowed them to sell more copies of the other titles that have a much higher profit margin (ie, the stuff they don't develop, but just publish).

I suspect you retake your economics classes, you sound fairly young, so it'd be a good idea to sort that stuff out now rather than going thru life with a completely broken understanding of economics (even if you have no interest in it as a career, understanding basic economics helps with life's financial aspects).

It is exciting to see your new found lack of knowledge of how a business operates.

Please tell us what college you attended to get your degree in business, so that other people will not plan on going there.

No, that's not what it means. Not all versions of trainz sold have been sold at $30, although it may be a reasonable average - if we're talking about AU$, given that most versions were sold at a higher than AU$30 initial price.

But even then, that's 1 million copies of 'trainz' sold, over 10 years.

Then there are things like taxes, staffing, building rent and other operating costs, many copies of trainz were sold at retail, so there's the retailer's cut, distributor cuts, etc.

Even assuming that revenue is AU$30 * 1 million / 10 years, AU$3million/year revenue would actually be fairly difficult to support a proper company of just one person, let alone a company the size that Auran/N3V has been and is.

Heck, I'd be honestly surprised if Auran/N3V has even remotely come close to breaking even over the long haul. More likely trainz has been a financial hole for them (although it could be argued that trainz has increased their global presence and thus allowed them to sell more copies of the other titles that have a much higher profit margin (ie, the stuff they don't develop, but just publish).

I suspect you retake your economics classes, you sound fairly young, so it'd be a good idea to sort that stuff out now rather than going thru life with a completely broken understanding of economics (even if you have no interest in it as a career, understanding basic economics helps with life's financial aspects).

Hi Nikki,

Great post, but it may be lost in the inability to understanding basic logic.

Regards,

"YOU DO NOT HAVE PRIVILEGES TO ACCESS THIS FUNCTION"

That's not Trainz, that's Windows 7 or Vista UAC.

What I would suggest is uninstall it completely. Then empty the recycle bin and follow this;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=793644&postcount=8

AFTER that, once your hard disk is cleaned up and defragged, check you have at least 30 gigs free space on the drive. Install TS2010. (If running Win7 or Vista make sure you install as admin and do not install in the X86 program files folder!) Test. Make sure it all works before you do anything else. Now open Windows explorer, browse to wherever you have it installed. Copy the TS2010 folder. Make a new folder named "Backup", paste the TS2010 folder into that.

Now you're all set, download the build 44088 patch for whichever version you have (do NOT download the multiplayer beta patch, if you're having problems it's no time to be playing with betas) and manually install that - I never heard of anyone getting the automatic patch to work, so manual is the only way to go.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=66052

Again, can't be repeated often enough, once it starts LEAVE IT ALONE, it will appear to be frozen halfway for an hour or so, but it's still working, it's only the progress bar that stops.

If it does screw up for whatever reason (lightning hits your house and knocks out the power while the patch is running), you can just delete the folder and copy the TS2010 folder from backup to replace it. And if the computer is prepared properly for the patch, the patch shouldn't fail.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but a computer ain't Nintendo, it requires maintenance to keep it running smoothly or you will get these problems.

Ok sniper. did disk cleanup. did defragmenter, though it said it was 0% fragmented. Just got this PC 2 months ago.

its re installing now, im installing into C:\Auran\TS2010

ill then do the patch, test it, and will let you know

sorry aardvark, i guess that makes more sense. i was thinking 1 million of TS2010, but 1 million of Trainz in general make better sense

anyway, trains is installing, switchinmg to disc 2 now

I had the extended database repair screw up TS2010 beyond repair twice - so the way I did this was to install, copy the entire TS2010 folder to C:\backup\42203\TS2010, then ran the patch and copied it to C:\Backup\44088\TS2010 before installing anything. Now if it does go sour I can save all my stuff to a CDP, delete the C:\Auran\TS2010 folder, and copy the backup\44088 in to replace it. Saves having to reinstall.

hey sniper its still patching. stuck in the middle. but im not touching it.

by the way, whats your signature mean? i think i see a catdog?

That's the "official" Port Ogden & Northern Railroad logo, designed by Kevin "Cadman" Shea back in 2001.

67242443.jpg

thats cool. and figures. in 2001 people knew what catdog was. now its an old relic of the past.

the patch completed, the bar has been full for an hour, just says updating trainz database.

again when it finishes, i will test and report back. thanks again sniper.

ok just finished. i launched trainz, clicked CM, and its updating trainz database again. is there a way to make this stop happening?

Last edited:
thats cool. and figures. in 2001 people knew what catdog was. now its an old relic of the past.

the patch completed, the bar has been full for an hour, just says updating trainz database.

again when it finishes, i will test and report back. thanks again sniper.

ok just finished. i launched trainz, clicked CM, and its updating trainz database again. is there a way to make this stop happening?

Let it continue for 2010 this is normal after a large patch, it's also a good idea not to do anything on the PC while it's patching and updating. I used to leave it overnight for 2010.
TS12 doesn't have these problems and does everything a lot quicker and Taddaemon shuts down within seconds of closing the program.

Just to clarify, it's fixed - FOR NOW. Funny coincidence, someone started a thread over at trainsim.com wondering what the most common mistake n00bs make - a couple of us think the most common mistake with any game that allows mods and addons is downloading and installing too much too fast too soon without testing between installs, then when the game crashes you don't even know where to start looking for which addon out of 2000 you installed at once is the culprit. After testing to make sure it works with nothing but built in stuff, make a backup of the TS2010 folder before installing any addons.

Back