New Laptop high end to run Trainz - what is best?

pdwood

Building in the mountains
Hi all

I need your advice. I am planning to buy a new PC laptp for using with Trainz 2010.

At present I manage with an Acer Aspire 1800 about 4 years old, but now I want the best. It has to be a laptop since I am often moving about, but do not need to run much else on the machine.

In Norway I have been looking at

DELL LT Alienware M17x/2592 17" which can be built with several optional graphics, memory etc. and runs at a wopping 20,000 kroner +. (about US$ 3000).

However, I would love to hear what you guys think - either about this machine or something better?

:eek: pdw

Last edited:
While I'm not familiar with Alienware laptops, I do have an Alienware Aurora desktop. Running Windows 7 Ultimate at 3.2 Ghz (3.8 is possible) is absolutely fanfreakingtastic. The manual on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired (to be blunt it doesn't tell you crap). Alienware computers themselves are superb (wish I could have afforded the big one, lol).

Ben

Honestly ... If it takes more than a $ 1000 laptop or desktop to run the new Trainz ... Auran has overdeveloped its software.

If only people with $ 3000 to throw away on a superior PC could run Trainz ... then Auran would lose 99% of its customers ... as no one could afford it !

No other PC game or simulator in the entire world is that demanding that it needs more than a $ 700 PC.

Do you realize how much a 7Gb Ram, 1Tb Hard drive, 1Gb Dedicated graphics memory PC can do ? They run just about $700 - $1000

You can get a 3Gb Ram, 500Gb hard drive, for $700 or much less.

I can run TRS2006 on a 1Gb Ram desktop ... although the framerates are poor.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you Cascade. Its probably why so many Trainzers stick with 2004 rather then upgrade to 2009, 2010, etc. My old computer wouldn't even try to run 2010 yet it ran 2004 with ease. However it was getting old (7-1/2 years) and wouldn't have been worth the effort to upgrade since the platform wouldn't allow it so I (splurged) and bought a $5000 Alienware. Was it worth it - yes. Am I crazy - also yes (but I'm harmless, lol).

On my old computer it could take close to 10 minutes to rebuild the cache files after installing something new. The new one takes around 30 seconds.

The only thing I'm not certain about is Windows 7 Ultimate. Faster - yes. paranoid - also yes. Its absolutely obsessed with security to the point of the ridiculous (I'm the administrator yet I have to give permission to copy or move a file). OK - I may have something setup wrong but finding what is a pain in the drain. As I said the manual is at best high grade toilet paper. It also takes several more steps to accomplish the same thing as on XP professional.

BTW the top-of-the-line Alienware desktop can easily be configured to over $10,000 (I just gotta win that lottery, lol).

So PDW - if you can afford it I seriously doubt you will be dissappointed just don't let it cut into your beer money (and if you don't drink - profuse appologies. That was only meant in jest).

Ben

No other PC game or simulator in the entire world is that demanding that it needs more than a $ 700 PC.

Really lol, you obviously have very little experience with up to date game engines or CPU dependent sims.

Regular visitors of this forum will be very interested in your $700.00 powerhouse PC –

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=29

By the way TR2010’s game engine is grossly “underdeveloped” and far from “overdeveloped”.

The only thing I'm not certain about is Windows 7 Ultimate. Faster - yes. paranoid - also yes. Its absolutely obsessed with security to the point of the ridiculous (I'm the administrator yet I have to give permission to copy or move a file). OK - I may have something setup wrong but finding what is a pain in the drain. As I said the manual is at best high grade toilet paper. It also takes several more steps to accomplish the same thing as on XP professional.
Ben

I run both XP/SP2 64-bit edition and Windows 7 64 on my desktop setups and I have no issues with Windows 7 being “obsessed with security”.

You just have to know how to set it properly to run performance applications (games).

Just about the best laptop for Trainz has to be the ASUS G73JH. It has an Intel Core i7 and an ATI Mobility 5870 (roughly equivalent to a desktop 4870/5770), which combined make a great computer for mobile gaming such as Trainz, and runs decently cheap (compared to Alienware) at about $1500 USD. There are several versions that include a single 500 GB hard drive & 8 GB RAM, 8 GB RAM & dual 500 GB (1 TB total) hard drives, and one model that has everything (8 GB RAM/1 TB) and a Blu-Ray drive.

ASUS G73JH-X1 with 8 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, and a regular DVD burner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220695

Edit: I'm still looking, but I haven't had luck finding companies with the ASUS in stock that ship to Europe/Norway. I'll keep looking though!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all this advice. I may have to choose Alienware M17 since it does not look as though I can get a ASUS to this part of the world (probably too cold).

If any of you have more advice - especially about what graphics and memory options to choose with Alienware - that would be great.

pdw :)

Hi DJT:

Yes - I probably do have something set wrong (but darned if I can figure out what, lol). I don't actually play games. I just make things for other folks to use in games (Trainz) and test them in the game before uploading to the DLS.

Someone did mention something to try. Changing the setting for UAC. I might get brave and give it a try (and can always change it back).

Ben

Honestly, just to run Trainz you probably waste quite a lot of money in looking into these Alienware so called notebooks - these, and similar machines, are way to oversized, heavy and overprized. In addition, these consume a lot of power, which requires huge power supplies and batteries. I wouldn't count on the support and all that which comes later on....

My suggestion: I'm running Trainz 2004 to 2010 smoothly on a HP 8710W Mobile Workstation:
Core 2 Duo T7700 2x 2.40GHz • 2048MB • 120GB • DVD+/-RW DL • NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M 512MB • 6x USB 2.0/FireWire/Modem/Gb LAN/WLAN 802.11abgn/Bluetooth • HDMI • PCMCIA Typ II Slot • 6in1 Card Reader • FingerPrint Reader • 17" WUXGA non-glare (!) TFT (1920x1200)• 3.40kg

Bottleneck is the HD as in any (Notebook) system, gonna be replaced with a SSD - which really is worth to look at. I got mine second hand for just about 1400.- EUR 15 months ago out of the HP Renew program - with full 3 year HP business warranty. In between I saw them for 700.- EUR, same specs.

For 3000.- you will get the current model 8730w in the highest config for sure, reasonable config from the renew program with full warranty for the half. There are also docking stations and other stuff available, sometimes you get them for just 30.-EUR like new... We've got them at work - nice, solid stuff!

The Quadro graphic card is trimmed for precision in rendering and so on, all optimized for professional purposes rather than gaming. But Trainz will run nicely for sure, any NVidea driver will fit and support it. If you want to build your own models using Max or Blender, that's your choice.

The other option would be IBM, they also have similar equipped mobile workstations.

Ways better than the overprized consumer stuff for sure.

Regards - Dirk

Back