New images of MSTS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to appear sceptical but is this verifiable anywhere please?
I did say "Rick Selby at MS", no? :eek:

Whoa, $50 bucks US. Is it that good?
Better. :)

No, that's not good. Fifty dollars for a single route?
What's not good about it? After all, the customer gets over a dozen locomotives, and 5 times that in rolling stock (plus passenger equipment). Couple this with a highly detailed route, challenging activities, and support second to none, and it's a bargain at twice that price. :)

Whatever the market will bear, I suppose.
No complaints from me - I've been overwhelmed with the number of orders for a sim that's coming on 7-years old in June. Not too shabby for an old horse. :)

OK, back on topic. Look around some of the TS2 forums for posts from the guys at ACES for info regarding XP and Vista. FWIW, I got it straight from Rick Selby at the November DevCon in Seattle, and Rick's since confirmed this to others, both on the train-sim.com forums, as well as on the forums at UKTS. The info's out there, guys.

Cheers!
Marc

As I said, Rick has confirmed this on several forums, including train-sim.com and UKTS - he even hinted at it on my forum:

http://www.3dtrains.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14039

As mentioned, the info is out there, but you'll have to dig for it - I just don't have the links handy. However, I suspect once Rick returns from holiday, that things will become clearer over the coming weeks.

Cheers!
Marc

Yeah, if I was getting $50.00 a pop, I wouldn't be complaining either! The guy asked for opinions; I gave him one, so did you. What he does with them is up to him.
Ed

Here's the thing..

MSTS 2 will not run on XP. There's absolutely no question of that. MSTS 2 will be designed only for Vista, and will be only supported by Microsoft for Vista. I don't think Microsoft will be making too much more software for XP, they want people to switch to their crappy, overpriced, buggy new OS.

But

anyone will be able to run it if they have a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card. Yes,it's true. All you have to do is

1. Get a second hard drive (It doesn't have to be big, even an 8 gig flash drive will work here)
  2. Put any distro of Linux on it. (I'd recommend Ubuntu, or Slackware if you're technically minded.
  3. Install WINE, download DirectX 10.
  4. Run MSTS 2 through WINE
  5. Done.
So sit back, relax, and ignore the Microsoft FUD. You'll be able to run MSTS 2 just fine, but perhaps with slightly more bugs.
-----------------

As far as I know most new computers now come with Vista preinstalled so the number of customers using Vista is increasing continually.

Seems to run fine for me and not much different to XP except I disabled User Account Control and need to run as administrator and make folders applicable to all files otherwise it appears to seperate files into different folders/directories.

As the thread is about the new rail sim it looks ineresting and many I would think will be buying it to see what it will be capable of.

Also it will be interesting to see if it makes use of dual and quad core as again most new computers appear to come with these due to the limits on heat etc.

Barry

Last edited:
Here's the thing..

MSTS 2 will not run on XP. There's absolutely no question of that.
I would imagine the only way that could be said is if you've run it on XP and it didn't work....:p
As far as the original topic of this thread....I remember how people drooled over the KRS screenies when they first came out....screenshots say absolutely nothing about game play graphics, features and performance...:cool:

Qualified for what? An opinion is an opinion....there is no right or wrong. My opinion is qualified too; qualified as being the opinion of a person who bridles at paying more for an add on than for the original game.

Look, this isn't a court of law, and no one has hired us to give expert testimony. Everyone here has an opinion, and each is just as valid as any other.

Ed

Qualified for what? An opinion is an opinion....there is no right or wrong. My opinion is qualified too; qualified as being the opinion of a person who bridles at paying more for an add on than for the original game.

Look, this isn't a court of law, and no one has hired us to give expert testimony. Everyone here has an opinion, and each is just as valid as any other.

Ed
Probably means qualified as in an opinion from one who bought and used the route as opposed to one who didn't....however, I got the impression that you were saying that you wouldn't pay $50 for the route regardless of how good it was....the question posed, "is it that good?" would require some knowledge of the route itself....:cool: Just my humble and valid opinion

I guess we're spoiled here with such a choice of superb (and also not so superb) routes for free, that USD50 seems an awful lot to pay. I guess MSTS users are more used to buying add-ons, so it wouldn't seem as steep in that community...

Just my 2c (AU) :p

Paul

Probably means qualified as in an opinion from one who bought and used the route as opposed to one who didn't....however, I got the impression that you were saying that you wouldn't pay $50 for the route regardless of how good it was....the question posed, "is it that good?" would require some knowledge of the route itself....:cool: Just my humble and valid opinion

You nailed it! It may be "that" good, and you're right, I wouldn't know! I guess I stopped reading at $50.00! Thanks for the perfectly humble and valid correction, and I apologize for posting out of context. I concede that Hack would be more qualified (but biased) to speak to the quality of the route.
Thanks SD.
Ed

Wow, I didn't mean to start something. See if I ever hijack a thread again.:)

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. After looking at the screenshots and hearing what all is included, I'm tempted. The fact that it requires the MSTSbin update is a plus. For anyone that hasn't tried it, I would suggest it. It makes MSTS look and feel like a whole new program. If this route takes advantage of the added features then I may just buy it.

Really, $50 is not out of line. Most MSTS routes that I have bought have been in the $24 to $44 range. Unlike many, I consider MSTS to be a game and Trainz to be a hobby. I buy a route for MSTS and run all the activities and drive the route for a while maybe a month or two then I get bored and often uninstall it. The fact is that it is just too hard to make anything with MSTS at least for me. Also I have had no end of trouble attempting to install freeware addons. Seems like one in three causes MSTS not to start up. But the point is that I'll spend $50 for a new game and not think twice about it and if it is a good game I'll get maybe 40 hours of fun out of it.

Marc, are you associated with 3DTrains? If so I have a question about a former product, Protextures.

William

I hate to interrupt this thread, but almost all posters are posting out of context. I see no images here other then sigs. Have I missed something?

In addition, I take offense to advertising in this thread: One because it is not the Payware forum and Two, because it has nothing to do with TRS.

There's no advertising - if you mean my banner sig, I see nothing out of line from what is allowed, or what others are using, not to mention a banner sig for products not related to Trainz.

If you mean mine or other's comments, well frankly, I don't see how that can be helped (questions and answers). I've been a member here since '01, and I don't recall ever going against forum rules - even to the point of waffling. Out of context and/or off-topic is simply the norm for any fora.

As for images "other than sigs", there's a series of links to the tsinsider site at the beginning of this thread.

I hate to interrupt this thread, but almost all posters are posting out of context. I see no images here other then sigs. Have I missed something?

In addition, I take offense to advertising in this thread: One because it is not the Payware forum and Two, because it has nothing to do with TRS.

I vote for a lock and maybe some one can start a new thread with just images.

Thanks

Cheerio John

Oh yeah some of us are getting way off the subject here.Some people here have switched on the wrong tracks here and First off I decided to make this thread that way people can share opinions on the screenshots of MSTS 2.Plus sooner or later some screenshots of European locos and rolling stock will be debuted to public soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back